Man, these sting....feedback anyone??

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Man, these sting....feedback anyone??

Post by BradleyHagen » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:35 pm

I was 100% positive that I had three slam dunks for a 70's funk listing..... Apparently not, and for the first time, I really do not agree with the screener WHATSOEVER on at least two of the three, and the third is a bit nitpicky IMHO....

LISTING:
1970s-Style FUNK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Brand New Music Licensing Company started by a seasoned industry pro! They already have distribution, and because they're in catalog-building mode this is a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor and build a new relationship with an awesome Music Library!

This Company is looking for Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic ballpark of these references we got directly from the company's CEO:

"Fire" by Ohio Players

"Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry

"Pick Up the Pieces" by Average White Band

"Cut The Cake" by Average White Band

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this request.

NOTE: Recently Recorded, but retro-sounding Instrumentals OR old vintage master recordings can both work for this pitch. The more authentic-sounding, the better, as they're all about authenticity for this Request!

Please submit 1970s-Style Funk Instrumental Cues with lots of great energy that capture the sound and style of Funk music from that era! Your submissions should have catchy melodies, great musicianship, and dynamic arrangements. Funk instrumentation that's in the general stylistic ballpark of the references will work best (think horns, funky guitar, drums, bass, etc.). Please make sure that any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and realistic.

Quoting the Client: "Horn sections are extremely important for this genre."

Your submissions should be between 1:30 and 2:30 minutes long. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the material you submit for this request CANNOT be signed with other publishers or catalogs. Sync fees will be split 50/50. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Masters and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Saturday, February 3rd, 2024. TAXI # S240203KF

TAXI # S240203KF

#1 "HIGHER"
Feedback for "HIGHER"
S240203KF
Share Your Feedback
What I like most about this song
Hi Bradley,
I like the attitude of this instrumental.

I think you could improve this song by
This is very good, although, to maintain the authenticity of the era's idiom, try an alt-arrangement and remove the "active bridge" with the distorted electric guitar passage in the middle and near the end. This changes the direction of the desired "cue structure". You want to maintain a "singular idea" throughout.

I returned or forwarded this song because
The track has a strong back beat funk, yet, it could benefit from a revision in the arrangement/structure to get closer to the desired "1970's Funk/Pop" character style of arrangement/Cue Structure as requested in the listing.

Track: https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... jLA-higher

OK.... am i supposed to just riff away on the same thing for close to 2 minutes?? I have had stuff returned over THAT in the past! Where would be my "Developmental Arc?" BTW.... The Ohio Players song has a similar bridge as well.... Not even close though

#2 "SLAY THAT DRUNKARDS MUSIC" ( yeah, we all know which reference this is based on right?)
Feedback for "SLAY THAT DRUNKARD'S MUSIC"
S240203KF
Share Your Feedback
Hi Bradley,
I like the attitude of the guitar on this instrumental.

This is very good, although, for this request, try an alt-arrangement and tighten up the rhythmic phrasing of the sampled horns at 1:08 and at 2:05 (it caught me at the first listen and it becomes a distraction). You are "masking" the references, which is O.K. as long as you only do less than 50% and there aren't any "exact" distinguishable lifts.

The track has a nice "era" character, although, it could benefit from a revision in the arrangement/rhythmic phrasing to get closer to the desired "1970's Funk/Pop" character style of arrangement/production sound as referenced and requested in the listing.

Track: https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... rd-s-music

The horns in two brief sections are not far enough off of the grid for the screener?? Come on man!!!!

#3 "FUNKY BAKE"
Feedback for "FUNKY BAKE"
S240203KF
Share Your Feedback
Hi Bradley,

I like the foundation of this instrumental.

This is good, and you applied the references well, although, you lifted the AWB's rhythmic motivic phrase for the horns. For this request, try an alt-arrangement and remove the AWB's horn phrase and replace it with a rhythmic motif that won't be mistaken for what was heard on the references. You want to have a "similarity" of the rhythmic phrasing, yet, do not lift any distinguishable lines where a listener will say "hey, that's the AWB's lick".

The track has a nice rhythmic attitude, although, it could benefit from a revision in the arrangement/rhythmic motivic phrasing to meet the listing's request as referenced.

Track: https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... funky-bake

OK...MAYBE the intro sax parts are a little close to "Cut the Cake" by Average White Band, I will give the screener that, but it is NOT exactly the same at all, and why should that disqualify an otherwise great track?? I know this is not the process, but maybe it should be ....I COULD HAVE FIXED THIS IN LESS THAN FIVE MINUTES!

In conclusion, I am becoming increasingly frustrated with this process, as I have been told to "get as close to the reference tracks as you can without copying them" In my opinion, these listings are far too vague. I am fully capable and WILL give them whatever they want, JUST F-ING TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT!!!! (rant over)
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

themarkalanproject
Active
Active

Re: Man, these sting....feedback anyone??

Post by themarkalanproject » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:19 am

So I am in very similar boat.. I was told in quote “This is overall very very solid! Yet the synths aren’t 70’s.” I literally used an analog 70s synth tone from keyscape 😂. Also I had my instructor who has worked in hollywood as a very successful composer/engineer for 40+ years, and several people listen to it prior and they all agreed it was a slam dunk! If like myself, you possibly submitted for disco and funk listings? Hoping my song forwards for the disco and yours as well. If interested here it is:

https://www.taxi.com/members/Er9Iix4ATp ... -70-s-mix-
- the mark alan project

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:58 am

Hi Bradley,
I'm no screener, but if I'd heard these before you submitted my comments would have been...
Higher - nice funk groove, but the horns sound lazy so they need more attack to match the groove, the middle section (appears twice) doesn't sit with the rest work for me and detracts from the rest, but the rest is a bit repetitious so needs variation.
Slay that Drunkard - great groove! Some elements a bit close to PTFMWB but probably on the safe side of the line. Its a bit one-dimensional in the arrangement again. The horn parts are a bit loose in places and could do with tightening.
Funky Bake - great feel again, but too many elements are too close to CTC. The horns are a bit loose again in places and don't always sit in the mix.

I think those comments are somewhat similar to the screener's. I don't know if that helps your frustration though. As for 'riffing away on the same thing for 2 minutes', no you wouldn't, but my take is to set the tone/mood/groove quickly, then maintain interest and a sense of progression but adding/dropping/changing things through the track, also adding edit points not only helps editing but gives you a chance to put more interest in there with fills/stops/restarts etc. Some would say to make sure there's something different every 4 or 8 bars.

Yes, its frustrating, but a good way to have more success is to learn from these returns and enjoy the forwards (like your recent batch). Best of luck to you :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:39 am

themarkalanproject wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:19 am
So I am in very similar boat.. I was told in quote “This is overall very very solid! Yet the synths aren’t 70’s.” I literally used an analog 70s synth tone from keyscape 😂. Also I had my instructor who has worked in hollywood as a very successful composer/engineer for 40+ years, and several people listen to it prior and they all agreed it was a slam dunk! If like myself, you possibly submitted for disco and funk listings? Hoping my song forwards for the disco and yours as well. If interested here it is:

Thanks for your reply!
Yeah I am submitting 3 tracks for the disco listing as well.... After these returns though, I am not feeling all warm and fuzzy about them now either:)

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:49 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:58 am
Hi Bradley,
I'm no screener, but if I'd heard these before you submitted my comments would have been...
Higher - nice funk groove, but the horns sound lazy so they need more attack to match the groove, the middle section (appears twice) doesn't sit with the rest work for me and detracts from the rest, but the rest is a bit repetitious so needs variation.
Slay that Drunkard - great groove! Some elements a bit close to PTFMWB but probably on the safe side of the line. Its a bit one-dimensional in the arrangement again. The horn parts are a bit loose in places and could do with tightening.
Funky Bake - great feel again, but too many elements are too close to CTC. The horns are a bit loose again in places and don't always sit in the mix.

I think those comments are somewhat similar to the screener's. I don't know if that helps your frustration though. As for 'riffing away on the same thing for 2 minutes', no you wouldn't, but my take is to set the tone/mood/groove quickly, then maintain interest and a sense of progression but adding/dropping/changing things through the track, also adding edit points not only helps editing but gives you a chance to put more interest in there with fills/stops/restarts etc. Some would say to make sure there's something different every 4 or 8 bars.

Yes, its frustrating, but a good way to have more success is to learn from these returns and enjoy the forwards (like your recent batch). Best of luck to you :)
As always, thank you for taking the time Telefunkin!
Yeah, OK, I got a little sloppy on the horn samples..... Guilty as charged. I should be using individual instruments and mixing and panning them properly with the correct articulations on each, rather than taking the obvious shortcut and using ensembles. Lesson learned there! As far as the middle section on "Higher" it is not much different than than the Ohio Players track, and it needed SOMETHING.... Again, Damned if I do, and damned if I don't on this type of thing. Lastly, I understand that a couple of things are "close" to the reference tracks, but seriously?? Is "Cut the Cake" the first funk track ever recorded?? Is that descending 4th riff ONLY an AWB thing?? Plus, the two riffs are not the same.....You could make the case that AWB stole from James Brown and WIlson Pickett!!! I cant wait to hear how these screeners judge "original disco" - Is there even such a thing?? lolol!

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:17 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:58 am

You know what?? Thank you telefunkin! I guess that I have been spoiled by nonstop forwards, and have started to take this for granted! ANOTHER lesson learned..... "Don't get lazy and rest on your laurels......"

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:12 pm

You're welcome. What I should have also said is that I'm a fan of your guitar work. Its well played with good sounds, and is well recorded, arranged and mixed. As a long-term addicted gigging guitarist myself I really appreciate it, and I'm envious of your standard of recording. It such a shame for all of that to be let down by the horns, so if you cant get live players then its worth putting in the extra effort to make the fake ones sound as convincing as possible. Its not easy, and maybe a horn player would be able to give you some tips. IMO getting that a little closer might have earned a forward or two.

Despite that though, the screeners know that a library would never risk a legal battle (for them and for you) as well as their reputation by publishing a track that sounds very close to a commercial release. OK yours is not an exact copy but I agree with them that its too close for comfort, so there was nowhere to go with it even if it had sounded perfect. Anyway, I'm sure you'll soon be posting in the forwards section again :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:00 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:12 pm
You're welcome. What I should have also said is that I'm a fan of your guitar work. Its well played with good sounds, and is well recorded, arranged and mixed. As a long-term addicted gigging guitarist myself I really appreciate it, and I'm envious of your standard of recording. It such a shame for all of that to be let down by the horns, so if you cant get live players then its worth putting in the extra effort to make the fake ones sound as convincing as possible. Its not easy, and maybe a horn player would be able to give you some tips. IMO getting that a little closer might have earned a forward or two.

Despite that though, the screeners know that a library would never risk a legal battle (for them and for you) as well as their reputation by publishing a track that sounds very close to a commercial release. OK yours is not an exact copy but I agree with them that its too close for comfort, so there was nowhere to go with it even if it had sounded perfect. Anyway, I'm sure you'll soon be posting in the forwards section again :).
I appreciate it Graham!!! I have three disco tracks that ALL have horns on them ready to submit, and I am going to go back to the drawing board on those..... I still have a few days before they are due! I used to play the bass in ACTUAL disco bands around LA back in the 90's, and I know this stuff well...It would be a shame to repeat the same mistakes with the horns and wreck my chances with those too....Great advice man! Appreciate you!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:29 pm

My feedback without reading the screeners or anyone ele's

Overall...Love the drums & guitars,bass..Writing is great in general....the brass kinda lets it down for me, sounds less authentic than the rest of it. Some of it sounds realistic but other parts have a much more midi vibe.

I would say judging on the info about the brass being important it's the worst part of the tracks for me so I would not have forwarded on that basis

Mark

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:37 pm

themarkalanproject wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:19 am

I listened to yours as well Mark, sorry but this doesn't even sound in the same ballpark to me if it was for the same listing ? The mix and production also need a lot of work to reach " broadcast quality " - there is no space in the mix, all the instruments are kinda piled on top of each other and playing in the same register. It's like trying to listen to a conversation when 5 people are all speaking at once.

I think you should revisit the arrangement and try and get some separation in the different elements so each of them are in their own little space. Hope that helps.

Mark