Marketing Signed Material on Spotify

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Marketing Signed Material on Spotify

Post by Casey H » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:56 am

ErinC wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:08 am
Speaking of DistroKid, since they don't act as publishers do you have any knowledge of whether I can still submit to an exclusive post if I have a song on DistroKid? What if I remove it from stores? Thanks for your help. This question is plaguing my brain lately.
Don't submit if the listing specifically says songs can't be released for streaming play. A number of listings say that. Otherwise it should be OK to submit to an exclusive library listing and if the library contacts you, let them know about the streaming releases and see if it's OK with them, if not can you simply remove them from that distribution?, etc. Don't make any decisions based on a forward alone.

HTH
:D Casey

LindsayH
Active
Active

Post by LindsayH » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:42 am

This is super interesting, I upload my tracks with vocals to distrokid and then tend to distribute to Spotify, Apple etc so I was wondering if I can then submit the same track through taxi if the listing says the deal will be exclusive and don't' submit if you have been signed to other libraries and catalogues. Wasn't sure if Spotify classes as a library or catalogue

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:50 am

LindsayH wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:42 am
This is super interesting, I upload my tracks with vocals to distrokid and then tend to distribute to Spotify, Apple etc so I was wondering if I can then submit the same track through taxi if the listing says the deal will be exclusive and don't' submit if you have been signed to other libraries and catalogues. Wasn't sure if Spotify classes as a library or catalogue
AFAIK, if the listing only says "other libraries and catalogues", streaming releases are OK though if you get contacted by the library, be sure to let them know in case it is a concern to them. Some listings have more language saying your song can't be released even for streaming. Obviously in those cases, you can't submit if your song(s) are released that way.

HTH
:D Casey

LindsayH
Active
Active

Post by LindsayH » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:39 am

Hey

Thanks so much Casey, you are a fountain of knowledge! Have a great weekend everyone :)

Lindsay

LindsayH
Active
Active

Post by LindsayH » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:19 am

Also meant to ask, assume you would continue submitting a song even after its forwarded as there is no guarantee it will be used? Just wondering what happens at the point when/if a song is forwarded from different listings, how you should manage that. Just received my 1st forward so very early days but just want to make sure I am doing the right thing, thank you :D

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:58 am

LindsayH wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:19 am
Also meant to ask, assume you would continue submitting a song even after its forwarded as there is no guarantee it will be used? Just wondering what happens at the point when/if a song is forwarded from different listings, how you should manage that. Just received my 1st forward so very early days but just want to make sure I am doing the right thing, thank you :D
You may keep submitting a forwarded song to listings, until you receive a deal offer from one of the forwards. Then, if you accept that offer, and said offer is exclusive, you do not submit the same tune anymore to any new listing
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:22 am

LindsayH wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:19 am
Forwards do not guarantee anything, and sadly it can often take many forwards before a library gets back to you with an offer. Therefore, its good to be happy that your track has proved to be of broadcast quality, on brief, and considered sufficiently competitive by an industry professional to pass on to a library, but the track is still entirely yours to do with as you please until a deal is signed (assuming it is completely free of any other publishing entanglements). Therefore, until you sign a deal you might as well submit the same track for any other appropriate listings that crop up. It would be exceptional to get another offer on the same track that you'd just signed a deal on, although if that were to happen then you could always say that the track has very recently been snapped up so is no longer available but you could make more in the same style. That way you might just open the door to another library.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:33 am

And to sum that up in the words of Yogi Berra... "It ain't over till it's over" :D

LindsayH
Active
Active

Post by LindsayH » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:53 am

Totally makes sense, just wanted to triple check! Thank you so much :D