Marketing Signed Material on Spotify

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Marketing Signed Material on Spotify

Post by MBantle » Sat May 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Dear All,
Some of my contracts allow for putting signed songs on Spotify etc. for self promotion. Before I start annoying all my publishers do you know what the best practice is? Do you use the original title or the library title of the respective track(s) or is it OK to use a different title and PRO details (i.e. not covering the Publisher). I would like to showcase some material on Spotify but I read that some countries do not recognise sync fees for TV so I could probably get in trouble with my publisher if one of the signed tracks is used with a different title not recognising the publisher. I hope that makes sense.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Cheers,
Matt

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Marketing Signed Material on Spotify

Post by superkons » Sat May 09, 2020 4:46 pm

It all boils down to each individual library, really: some may permit putting signed material on the different streaming platforms (if they are not doing that themselves, already), some may be very specific and only permit a handful of platforms, and ask for retitling, and so on. Therefore, it is better to ask each library you work with, to see what you may or may not do in that respect
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:39 pm

Having spoken to my publisher and getting his approval, I decided to put some tracks on Spotify... most instrumentals obviously don't lend themselves to be put on Spotify but I experienced that some people actually ask about the name of a certain song used in an advertisement so I guess it would be stupid to not try and get a few extra cents from streaming services revenue. So, I decided to test the water with a few piano tracks: https://open.spotify.com/album/7MuxhmG3 ... jeEfXxmzAA
There are still some question marks: Whilst most publishing contracts allow for self-promotion on Spotify it is usually 'subject to re-titling'. I appreciate that re-titling will reduce the risk of confusion but on the other hand would using the original (publisher) titles not help avoiding misunderstandings (as in someone listens on Spotify and the PRO royalties follow the same trail as they would if the track was synced?).
If anyone could shed some light that would be great and I will keep you posted in case I suddenly face a million dollar lawsuit :D
Cheers,
Matt

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:15 pm

From what I have gathered, if you work with an exclusive publisher, and they permit you to upload your licenced music on your streaming services, you ought to re-title your works, at least to avoid publishing conflicts (somebody correct me if I am mistaken, please). Or perhaps you get specific instructions from your publisher, for example, specifying the publishing label? Looking at the link you posted, it seems as if you have been uploading under your publisher's label

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:31 pm

superkons wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:15 pm
From what I have gathered, if you work with an exclusive publisher, and they permit you to upload your licenced music on your streaming services, you ought to re-title your works, at least to avoid publishing conflicts (somebody correct me if I am mistaken, please). Or perhaps you get specific instructions from your publisher, for example, specifying the publishing label? Looking at the link you posted, it seems as if you have been uploading under your publisher's label
Hi Marco,
IMO Re-Titling does not make sense as it would actually increase the risk of ambiguity. I would say either the publisher puts their (our) stuff up on Spotify/Itunes themselves or they let the composers (us) do that. It seems strange that in times of Distrokid and the likes this is still an issue in the first place.
Cheers,
Matt

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:37 pm

MBantle wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:31 pm
superkons wrote:
Hi Marco,
IMO Re-Titling does not make sense as it would actually increase the risk of ambiguity. I would say either the publisher puts their (our) stuff up on Spotify/Itunes themselves or they let the composers (us) do that. It seems strange that in times of Distrokid and the likes this is still an issue in the first place.
Cheers,
Matt
I can only speak for DistroKid, but everything one uploads through them is non-exclusive, and also they do not act as publishers, unlike CDBaby, for example, where one can opt-in for publishing, as well.
Unfortunately, the overall system is still a bit unclear...

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:26 am

I have only the most general advice here, because publishing deals can vary so widely. The point of having your music on streaming sites is that theoretically, somebody hears your music in a show and goes to a streaming service to hear it again or playlist it. Re-titling doesn't make sense, cuz it makes you harder to find. Leave that to such non-exclusive libraries as may be shopping your music. Generally, it's a good idea to register as a publisher with your PRO to make sure nothing falls through the cracks in the event of a direct license; you can still co-publish with your non-exclusive clients. The other important thing is to avoid any distribution deal that includes administration or gives up any portion of your publishing. If you opt into administration, you're giving up some amount of your ability to make decisions about who uses your music, and that is a conflict that library owners are righteously loathe to deal with; some even have language in their contracts regarding CDBaby and the like. Youtube monetization is a whole 'nother can o' worms, but it's been covered in three or four Taxi TV episodes, so that's a start.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

ErinC
Active
Active

Post by ErinC » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:08 am

superkons wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:37 pm
MBantle wrote:
superkons wrote:
Hi Marco,
Cheers,
Matt
I can only speak for DistroKid, but everything one uploads through them is non-exclusive, and also they do not act as publishers, unlike CDBaby, for example, where one can opt-in for publishing, as well.

Speaking of DistroKid, since they don't act as publishers do you have any knowledge of whether I can still submit to an exclusive post if I have a song on DistroKid? What if I remove it from stores? Thanks for your help. This question is plaguing my brain lately.

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:19 am

ErinC wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:08 am
superkons wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:37 pm
MBantle wrote:

Hi Marco,
Cheers,
Matt

Speaking of DistroKid, since they don't act as publishers do you have any knowledge of whether I can still submit to an exclusive post if I have a song on DistroKid? What if I remove it from stores? Thanks for your help. This question is plaguing my brain lately.
I prefer to keep treating my non-exclusive items as non-exclusive across the board, and that is what works for me, really. DistroKid lets you remove previous releases, but I have never done that, so I cannot offer any advice with regards to that, sorry

ErinC
Active
Active

Post by ErinC » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:35 am

Ok. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'm brand new and didn't know a company like this existed when I put it on DistroKid. Maybe it would be best if I just stay away from exclusive deals for now.
Have a great day!

Erin C