MASTER RIGHTS - Question

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

atlasowen

MASTER RIGHTS - Question

Post by atlasowen » Sun May 14, 2023 3:11 pm

I understand EXCLUSIVE and that there are many different types of EXCLUSIVE contracts, including IN PERPETUITY.
But,
1. Do you have to give up your Master Rights to be in an EXCLUSIVE contract?
2. What is the reason a Library would REQUIRE you to give up your Master Rights?
3. What percentage of Libraries require Composers to give up Master Rights?
4. What is the benefit to the Composer to give up Master Rights?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Heidi

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: MASTER RIGHTS - Question

Post by Casey H » Sun May 14, 2023 5:44 pm

There's no right answer because, as you said, contracts vary.

Many exclusive libraries are only exclusive with respect to sync so they don't actually own your masters. You can still use the masters for anything non-sync such as downloads, pitch to artists, in-store airplay, etc. With other libraries, you assign all ownership, master and composition, to them.

AFAIK the reason some libraries have such all encompassing deals is they work with sub-publishers all over the world with lots of variation as far as what the needs of those client bases are. They can't be encumbered by anything. Also, for a very major placement (e.g featured in a major movie/TV show), they may want to be the first to release it to the world.

Question: What's your main concern about giving up ownership of your masters? Is it because in addition to sync you want to use the masters for other things (Downloads, CDs, artist pitches, etc.)? All I can say is MY personal experience so far with exclusive libraries has been the majority only care about sync, nothing else. Others may have had different experiences.

:D Casey

atlasowen

Post by atlasowen » Mon May 15, 2023 5:44 am

Thank you for your response, Casey. It is helpful.
I am fairly new to my attempt at making marketable music. I may be on the right track as I have had 16 Forwards and I always pay attention to Michael.
I have never signed a contract, but I can hear the improvement in my songs. EXCLUSIVE and IN PERPETUITY are big enough words, top that off with giving up ownership of your Master Rights, ... hmmm. I don't have a long list of songs and it takes me longer to get my final product. As a lyricist and vocal melody composer that hires a producer and purchases her WFH's and Master Rights, I imagine letting go would be like jumping out of a plane and I'd just want to know, ... whose packing my chute. I may be overthinking it or just mentally preparing for the jump.

Thanks again,
Heidi

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon May 15, 2023 6:57 am

Hi Heidi
16 forwards is great! Well done! :D

Best thing is take it one day at a time and decide what works for you when you get a deal offer on one of your songs.

:D Casey