May I borrow some ears pls? :)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cj

May I borrow some ears pls? :)

Post by cj » Sat May 27, 2006 9:46 pm

Hey guys! I'm back.... My debut album CJ Li "What If" has finally been released! After lotsa sweat and tears, here it is! I'd really appreciate if u guys could preview some of my new tunes and lemme know what u think! I know its only the first 2 mins, but just first impression that it gives you... Here's the link mes amis: http://www.cdbaby.com/cjliThanks so much for your comments in advance. You guys rock! And oh, if u like what u hear, pls help support me by purchasing a copy! I appreciate it! Talk to ya soon!-CJ(cjli.net)

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: May I borrow some ears pls? :)

Post by davewalton » Mon May 29, 2006 2:40 am

Hi CJ,A lot of times when people listen and don't reply it falls into the category of "no news is good news". I just thought that I'd reply and say that although this isn't the style of music I normally listen to that I thought that you've done a very good and professional job. The one thing that struck me is that you're very consistent with your sound and style. That's a good thing. I think that someone that listened to any of the four songs that were available and liked them would also like the rest of the CD. It's easy to identify who and what you are musically by listening to any of these songs. Good music, good production, consistent sound and style. Nicely done.Dave

jeffchurchwell
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jeffchurchwell » Tue May 30, 2006 4:52 am

CJ-So far I'm knocked out, even though (as Dave said) this is not what I would ordinarily listen to. The production is excellent, the songs are quite catchy, and your voice is just perfect for the material. I'd recommend you to anyone I knew who likes this kind of pop. "What If.." is a great straight-ahead tune, I love the guitar particularly. The hook is also well done."You're Nothing More" has some great chord changes, and has a good drive. The one thing I would say is that it has more of an 80s "Patty Smyth & Scandal" vibe, but since it's the 80s' turn to be in vogue again (and since I loved Patty Smyth), that's probably cool.Overall a great piece of work. Again, as Dave said, it's very consistant.I notice you're sold out on CDBaby.. good work Finally, I want to compliment you on the BEST artist website I've seen in ages. That interface ROCKS. Who did it? (Guess I need to learn Flash).Jeff

cj

Post by cj » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:13 pm

Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback and compliments. I appreciate it. Those songs sound consistent because I actually wrote them around the same time... My previous songs were wayyy different- I guess it's because I'm doing a lot of growing up. Anyways, thanks a bunch I really appreciate your replies. As for the website, I'm SO glad that you like it! The website design was made up by myself and a friend... One of my friends, Tony, actually created it. He's a genius, I'm sure he'd be flattered to know you guys like the site. That's it for now, oh btw, CDbaby finally has more cds in stock! Hurray! Thanks for the support everyone! Rock on! CJ

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:26 am

Hey CJ Sorry it took me so long.. I actually listened a few days back and forgot to post...I think you sound great!! Perfect young pop sound... You write well, sing well, and the production is great-- it's all good in my opinion. "You're Nothing More" is hit material and perfect for today's TV shows a la OC, Dawson's, etc...You've got a bright future. Let me know if you ever tour in the Northeast U.S. Rock on too! All the bestCasey

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:17 am

Hey CJ-This is really good stuff! Very well-written and produced, with lots of catchy hooks, and I love the sound of your voice. How much involvement did you have in the writing? Did you play any instruments?If I were an A&R guy, my first thought would be, "Wow, she sounds a lot like Avril Lavigne." Some might consider this appealing from a marketing standpoint, while others may feel it's disadvantageous to sound a lot like another known artist. FWIW, a lot of this sound comes from the instrument arrangements and production techniques.You do differentiate yourself in a lot of ways, though, and I'm sure you're going places. Great job!Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

cj

Post by cj » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:59 pm

Hola peeps! You're all so kind! I'm glad you like "You're Nothing More", it's one of my favorites as well! To answer your question... 3 of the tracks' music were written by myself and the other 4 were created by myself and my producer, Mike. The lyrics are my own.Thanks a bunch for everything! Any more questions? I like questions... hehe Talk to u soonz!

trace

Post by trace » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:45 am

Great songs CJ.The production is spot on.My only constructive criticism is that you could consider using a different mic and pre combo. Now, I am being really picky here, but in a few places the current set up sounds a little thin.Your voice, however, is top notch. Great job,P.J.