Members Contacting Listing Companies -- Ouch!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Members Contacting Listing Companies -- Ouch!

Post by mazz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:45 pm

I wonder if the listing companies could be compelled to place a special e-mail address that is only published on a forward certificate, something like: taxi@dontcalluswellcallyou.com The address could go nowhere, or be forwarded to the mailroom or, whatever. At the best it could have an automated reply: "we're glad you got forwarded. we will listen to your music and will contact you if it fits what we need."

I also like Richard's suggestion about putting a message on the forward certificates. If TAXI informed the listing parties that they are doing this and are broadcasting the information out to the general membership, at least it's a good faith effort on the part of TAXI to try to staunch the flow of unwanted correspondence.

And come on folks, it's great to chase your dreams but it's not only about you! Most of us aren't yet full time pros, but the way you get there is to act like you already are one. Pros are pros in all aspects of their business dealings and one of the most unprofessional things one can do is to act "hungry". Being hungry, burning hungry, is one thing, and that's what keeps us going in the face of constant rejection. Acting too hungry out in the business world is basically spraying on success repellent every morning. I don't know anyone who likes to get spammed by e-mail and what Michael just mentioned feels like that's what was happening to this company, even though the TAXI member(s) probably thought they were just doing ultra thorough "follow up".

The sad part is the part about the professional member contacting one of the companies. If unsolicited e-mails are going to the wrong person, then it would seem that person might want to let someone know: "please contact this person and kindly let them know to stop", rather than flying off the handle. Now that's not very professional from their end, IMO.

Bottom line, act professional in all aspects, as much as possible. Obviously sometimes even the best of intentions backfires, but that's life. But don't spam these companies and don't share the names. We've all worked really hard to get to the place where we get forwarded and we devalue our work and minimize the growth that it takes to get there when we do that.

It would be sad if TAXI went dark, I think assuring the companies that every member is aware of the rules, with the caveat that this is the MUSIC business after all, with all the baggage that people bring with them into it, might go a long way. They're still going to get the occasional spammer, but at least they know TAXI has done as much as they can to make sure everyone knows the rules.

Unfortunately I'm not surprised.

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

markmeilander
Impressive
Impressive

Post by markmeilander » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:56 pm

Since Michael was kind enough to ask for our thoughts, I'd like to respond to some of the points brought up.

If a music library has a General information email posted on a public website accessible by anyone through a Google search, they should expect to receive inquiries from composers trying to place music. I'm pretty new here and so far I've only had one forward, so technically I only know the name of one company that Taxi works with. Yet I have sent emails to "info" addresses and made phone calls to several libraries simply asking "What are your policies on music submission?" Again, I obtained this contact info from general web searches. So far each of my inquiries has generated a professional response detailing their policies. Do I now need to worry that these might also be Taxi clients? Do I need to worry that when they ask me what other placements I've had I don't accidentally say the word Taxi for fear of the person on the phone having a "meltdown"?
admin wrote:the V.P. of the company went to the head of music after getting a member email and asked why HE was getting emails from musicians.
To this I would say that he is in the business of getting emails from musicians. He sells music, we provide music. Vendors call on salesmen every day trying to get them to sell "Their Product". Sometimes they get annoying. If you don't like them, don't sell their product. If he (specifically) is not supposed to be getting emails from the "general info" box, then that is an internal problem within his company.

The key to all of this is professionalism. And I think that this should be the focus of the policy. Not just for the members at large, but for the libraries as well. I think that professionalism needs to assessed on both sides of this issue.Taxi makes it very clear to the members that once they send the forward, they are no longer involved. All further negotiations are between the composer and the library. Taxis clients: the libraries, production companies, music supervisors, all of them should agree to these same terms. Make it very clear to them in their contract that Taxi will give the composers the name of who they are being forwarded to, but no other contact information. If a composer forwarded by Taxi harasses the library, the library is free not to use this composer. Taxi is in the business of forwarding music. Period. It does not in any way represent the composers of this music and can not be held responsible for the actions of these composers.

If that is unacceptable to the libraries, perhaps it would be fair for a library to say no follow up calls for three months (ex.). Again, if a composer can not respect this time frame, then perhaps some enforcement from Taxi would be appropriate. But after this blackout window, the library should be open to any professional business inquiry made through their public contact channels. If a library accepts direct, unsolicited submissions then fine. If they do not accept such submissions, they can state that to the composer and have no reason to complain to Taxi.
admin wrote: Imagine if each company gets just a FEW people who reach out to 3-10 email addys at each company they get forwarded to.
This is just ridiculous. Anyone doing this is certainly going to piss people off and will never be successful anyway. I'm sure that any good library gets just as many, if not more, of these from composers that have nothing to do with Taxi, it's just that with Taxi, they have someone on which to place the blame. This is where the compromise with the libraries might help stating that during the "blackout window", Taxi will handle the issue, but after that they handle it themselves.

If composers and libraries (including the V.P. of the company) can conduct themselves in a professional, businesslike manner, there should be no problems. I realize that Taxi's relationship with the libraries is what keeps them in business and they certainly don't want to lose clients, but I don't think that the answer is to punish Taxi members by saying that you are never allowed to contact a company that is publicly available for anyone else to contact.

It all comes down to how each individual party handles themselves.

As Michael said,
admin wrote:professionalism will ultimately rule
Mark
"There is a crack, a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in"
- Leonard Cohen

Model 77 Productions

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:00 pm

This should of been aired when the 1st listing company quit not the 6th?

If the taxi contract stated damages will be claimed for lost contacts against the rogue emailers then the problem would stop.
Last edited by jdhogg on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:14 pm

From a publisher who reads our board -- he gave me persmission to quote him:
ML

Hi Michael,

I just read the "Members Contacting Listing Companies - Ouch!" post. I have had both people who were forwarded, and others contact me directly through e-mail, facebook, and Linkedin. My pat answer is to make contact with me through TAXI. I am also assuming you are referring to ***** ***** *****, I hate that site, nothing but BS like most of *******.

I will tell you this one fact. I read the TAXI boards, and at least 3 people who post on the boards are blackballed with my company. I have also read other boards, like ********, and if composers think they go completely under the radar they are very mistaken. You may quote me

Thanks,
Name omitted by ML

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Just to be clear, the VP that went to the head of music is the VP of a Film/TV production company, not a music publishing company. I think that's why it upset him.

Michael

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm

I'm getting ready to go into a Rally meeting and won't be on the forum for a while, but I just got this from the publisher I just quoted:

"And you can quote this too. From now on I will notify "You" when a member contacts me directly."

Michael

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 pm

admin wrote:...I will tell you this one fact. I read the TAXI boards, and at least 3 people who post on the boards are blackballed with my company....
Double-ouch! I hope I'm not one of those 3 people for some reason, although I would have no idea why I would be one of the 3. But still, makes me take stock of whatever I said here on the forum! :shock:

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:49 pm

admin wrote:I'm getting ready to go into a Rally meeting and won't be on the forum for a while, but I just got this from the publisher I just quoted:

"And you can quote this too. From now on I will notify "You" when a member contacts me directly."

Michael
If every publisher would do that, that would be just great! We wouldnt have to worry about a few idiots spoiling this for the rest of us. I guess I am naive, I thought the publisher in question was complaining about a few emails, but to call everybody on that site! That's not a courteous follow up, that is harassment!
"The crucial thing in life is not to repeat oneself." Antonio Stradivari.

http://www.Reverbnation.com/laurasanz

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:44 pm

Just something to add here. "Some" of the libraries that I have been forwarded to through Taxi do accept unsolicited material. But that is made very clear on their website and each of those companies has a system in place for you to do so, again on their website and clearly labeled. In those cases, I don't see any issue with submitting other pieces to them. But if you're just hitting any and every email address that a company has posted or that you've found, you're going to piss them off and you'll never get to work with them. It's not only not professional, its a dumb idea.

I really hope that we don't have to "Go Dark" as seeing the company's name on my first forward gave Taxi an extreme amount of legitimacy for me. Up until that time, I wasn't sure if Taxi was a joke or not. By the by, it's NOT. But I'd have never renewed if I didn't get a couple of forwards that I then saw were actually going to real companies.

I'd like to see a really big Warning posted on the forward certificates not to contact them before things go dark. If that doesn't work, then do what you have to do.

B

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:06 pm

I hope I'm not one of them either.
That would be strange.
I hope Taxi is kind enough to let these people know who are black listed.

Yes, there are some libraries/companies that you can send your material to at their web site.
They have clear instructions on how to proceed.

The thing is, I got 2 songs accepted to a library like these via Taxi.
I thought I'd try my luck and I sent 10 more songs to them, they were all denied.

But, even if some libraries/companies accept unsolicited material, you should never contact them through the screening process either, you will get an answer in time if they are interested or not.