Members Contacting Listing Companies -- Ouch!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Members Contacting Listing Companies -- Ouch!

Post by mojobone » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Sorry, Kevin, but it's information we NEED to know, because many of us don't want the same piece of music to land on a supervisor's desk from two different sources, which can make us look even more clueless than contacting the listing party would.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:36 pm

mojobone wrote:Sorry, Kevin, but it's information we NEED to know, because many of us don't want the same piece of music to land on a supervisor's desk from two different sources, which can make us look even more clueless than contacting the listing party would.

Very good point Mojo! That's a snaffu i didnt think about! :o
"The crucial thing in life is not to repeat oneself." Antonio Stradivari.

http://www.Reverbnation.com/laurasanz

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:28 pm

mojobone wrote:Sorry, Kevin, but it's information we NEED to know, because many of us don't want the same piece of music to land on a supervisor's desk from two different sources, which can make us look even more clueless than contacting the listing party would.
Hmm... I never considered that point. Thanks mojo! :)

wta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by wta » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:03 pm

kevinmathie wrote:
This is an IMPOSSIBLIITY Mojo unless you're having more than one agent/publisher/library represent the same work and again THAT is taboo as well...
Music is like oxygen, you can live without it but not for very long...
http://www.withcriminalintent.com
http://www.williamthomasanderson.com

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:55 am

wta wrote:
kevinmathie wrote:
This is an IMPOSSIBLIITY Mojo unless you're having more than one agent/publisher/library represent the same work and again THAT is taboo as well...
It's happening more often than you might think. One of the complaints a lot of supervisors have is the fact that they are getting the same songs from not 2 but sometimes 3 or 4 different libraries. There's a discussion going on about this in another forums:

The problem comes from a lot of writers getting non-exclusive deals and placing their catalogs on different libraries.
Last edited by admin on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: company name removed

greggo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by greggo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:35 am

guscave wrote: It's happening more often than you might think. One of the complaints a lot of supervisors have is the fact that they are getting the same songs from not 2 but sometimes 3 or 4 different libraries. There's a discussion going on about this in another forums:

The problem comes from a lot of writers getting non-exclusive deals and placing their catalogs on different libraries.
Wait... I don't get that. I've had one song forwarded, but I still submit the same song to different listings. Is that a dumb idea?
Last edited by admin on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: taking out company name

fullbirdmusic
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by fullbirdmusic » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:52 am

greggo wrote:
guscave wrote: It's happening more often than you might think. One of the complaints a lot of supervisors have is the fact that they are getting the same songs from not 2 but sometimes 3 or 4 different libraries. There's a discussion going on about this in another forums:

Wait... I don't get that. I've had one song forwarded, but I still submit the same song to different listings. Is that a dumb idea?
No. Consider the listings an "audition" to have your music presented to the listing party.
Wes
Last edited by admin on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: company name removed
Wes Costello
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full Bird Music - because you care about your productions. http://www.fullbirdmusic.com

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:03 am

greggo wrote:

Until you get your song "signed" to a library continue to pitch it to any and every appropriate company. Once it's signed somewhere, you have to make a decision on whether you continue to try to get it into multiple libraries (Which is a bad idea and which seems to be something that will come to an end with reputable libraries in the very near future)
Sometimes listings aren't looking for a particular song, just want to hear examples of you as an artist. You can always use your songs, whether signed or not, for those purposes.
And if you fast at writing new material, you can always use a song that has been signed to pitch to a new library (whatever) and when and if they contact you, offer them new material.

HTH's
B

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:04 am

Ya know, if I was in the business of making and selling, oh I don't know, paper clips, I would try to sell them everywhere I could. This of course would create competition among some retailers. Competition is a healthy thing. I don't know why anyone would think music is different. So a library signs your track in a non-exclusive deal and never gets it used. What good were they? Someone else may have a greater success. If the same track appears to a client from several libraries then it is probably a good track, fits what the client asked for and in short, the client should shut up and use it. If you need a paper clip, buy it, where ever you can get it.

Keith
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com

fullbirdmusic
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by fullbirdmusic » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:16 am

t4mh wrote:Ya know, if I was in the business of making and selling, oh I don't know, paper clips, I would try to sell them everywhere I could. This of course would create competition among some retailers. Competition is a healthy thing. I don't know why anyone would think music is different. So a library signs your track in a non-exclusive deal and never gets it used. What good were they? Someone else may have a greater success. If the same track appears to a client from several libraries then it is probably a good track, fits what the client asked for and in short, the client should shut up and use it. If you need a paper clip, buy it, where ever you can get it.

Keith
The competition model is a good point. However, the competition is good at undercutting. The supply of music is so great that it saturates the market and the LOWEST bidder goes home with a "deal." Now, that might not be a "good" deal, but competition lowers when there are more members in the market. That's when the lowerlings get squeezed out and the healthy stay in. But I think that's a bit off topic, sorry :ugeek:
Wes Costello
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full Bird Music - because you care about your productions. http://www.fullbirdmusic.com