Mesa Boogie, or Marshall

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Mesa Boogie, or Marshall

Post by booker » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:05 am

Help me decide. I want a better guitar sound, and I'm tired of trying to do it through pedal boards. Yes, I should buy a better guitar (I have a 85 Kramer focus), but beyond that, which amp do you prefer and why. I don't play at super loud levels, so I don't need to fill Wembly Stadium.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Mesa Boogie, or Marshall

Post by ernstinen » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:52 am

Quote:Help me decide. I want a better guitar sound, and I'm tired of trying to do it through pedal boards. Yes, I should buy a better guitar (I have a 85 Kramer focus), but beyond that, which amp do you prefer and why. I don't play at super loud levels, so I don't need to fill Wembly Stadium.Hey Rock,I played through a 50 watt Marshall JCM 800 for awhile, and it sounded good, but only when CRANKED to obscene levels.The only amp for me now is my Soldano SP-77 tube preamp running into a Peavey 60/60 tube power amp into an old Ampeg 2x12 cabinet. I've got a 4x12 Marshall cabinet, too, but it's just too loud.I like the Soldano because it can do the shimmery clean Fender sound and the warm, overdriven sound as well. I think that Clapton is a confirmed Soldano man now.BUT, they are VERY expensive. If you don't want to spend over $500, I've heard guys play through Fender Blues Jr. tube amps and little Peavey tube amps that sounded great.You may also want to consider changing your bridge pickup. I know this is blasphemous, but I put a Semour Duncan Hot Rail in my 1963 Strat. (I've got the original single-coil if I ever sell it --- which I won't!).My 2 cents,Ern

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:24 pm

During the 80's and 90's: Mesa Boogie Mk IV through a Marshall slant 4 = heaven on earth These days it's a Rivera 55-12 -- it's a bluesy screamer with decent crunch and all the candy apple clean colors you can think of. Very interested in the Palmer stuff -- thanks for the post. bc

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:40 pm

I'm a Fender guy all the way. I love a Strat (or a Gibson 335) cooking through a twin or a bassman. To me that is rock n roll. I play my acoustic through a Fender Acoustasonic. I have to say that I liked the sound Santana got when he writched to Mesa Boogie's though, but that was before he got into those silly PRS guitars.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:54 pm

Quote: for my artist songs I use a Vox AC 30 and a Fender '65 Deluxe reverb.I've got a Silver-face Deluxe Reverb, and it's a fantastic clean amp for recording. And I was going to mention an AC 30 also, but they're as or more expensive than Soldanos!What kind of old Fender combos does Neil Young play through? I love his sound. I think they're Concerts. But any classic vintage amp will set you back a pretty penny.My third old tube amp is an Ampeg VT-40. Think that Stones clean/dirty sound. It's a unique-sounding amp.Ern

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:51 pm

Rock, if you're talking about buying new equipment off a showroom floor I haven't heard any Marshalls that rang my bell in years. I even felt the older models (like the JCM 800) were a one trick pony. You could get a good sound but one good sound is not enough for me. I like a selection.As a rule I would stay away from any amp that has a "gain" control, all gain does is create a hotter signal and they are using that as a replacement for overdrive, it is not the same thing.I think you already know how I feel about Mesa amps, that's what I gig with and I agree that the Mark series are the best to my ears. I love my Mk III but I haven't liked a lot of the the newer models that also seem to be aimed at the high gain market.Hey, how about I just give you my Super Reverb?
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:44 pm

Quote:Hey, how about I just give you my Super Reverb? Hey, how about you just give ME your Super Reverb!I had a friend that had an early 60's Fender Bassman that was awesome for a dirty guitar sound.I also owned a Gibson "Bell" amp, which was really cool to crank up.But for a super clean and powerful Fender sound, nothing compared to my old late 60's Dual Showman with a 2x15 cabinet. You could crank that up to 11 and it was still clean! I used that to re-create "Cars" rhythm tracks. I'm sorry I sold it when I was a poor lad. Ern

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:07 am

I was researching Marshall Plexi's and came across this great website --- everything you want to know about guitar amps etc.!http://guitargeek.com/gearview/373/Ern

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by booker » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:17 pm

Ok... so I go over to Sweetwater and crank up on a Marshall combo 122. It's a triple lead job. After playing it for 30 minutes and still not liking what I hear... I grab a PRS custom 24 down and play that. Much better. So... I ended up buying the PRS 24 and coming back home to my Princeton Chorus. It sounds sweet now.

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:43 pm

Yeah, that PRS24 is a real good amp.
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere