with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Midi Drums into Ableton (v-kit)

Post by BradGray » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:27 pm

Hey Passengers!

While in recent months I've been getting better at recording and mixing acoustic drums, I've also spent considerable time building various patterns and performances via midi as well. Layering kits and sounds is an awesome thing. Today I started working with a Roland V-Drum kit I have (TDK-11), and was sending midi into my DAW for recording; so I could layer and build electronically from my performance vs drawing in the patterns. In the performance I noticed that it picked up the basics pretty easy, but seemed to get confused a bit when I did basic rolls. I change the quantize settings from off, to every pattern imaginable, but didn't seem to make it better.

My question is, is there a setting or something that can be enabled in order to allow for more discrete playing - rolls fills et all? It seems if I get moving too fast, it just doesn't respond the way I'm expecting. As an example, a basic beat is just fine, and with some basic fills. If I try to do a five stroke drumroll, it really isn't able to capture it consistently. Sometimes close, sometimes not. Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

I'm using Ableton Live 11, and the midi interface from the drums into the DAW.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Midi Drums into Ableton (v-kit)

Post by BradGray » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:53 pm

Since it was an odd question, I'll answer it myself which is also odd, but perhaps can help someone when they run across this.

In Ableton there are specific velocity parameters that could be edited/enabled, but it appears that you would have to map with and work with each pad and set it up, one by one. I'm sure beneficial, but very time consuming to say the least.

I tried the Addictive Drums demo, as I was reading other players used that one for this purpose, and it had a demo mapping for the TD11 already. This solved the issue.