Minimalist Piano Instrumentals

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Minimalist Piano Instrumentals

Post by guest4254 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:09 am

Hey folks! Regarding the following listing:MINIMALIST PIANO INSTRUMENTALS a la Philip Glass, Michael Nyman, etc. are needed by an East Coast Music Library/Publisher who has signed and placed dozens of TAXI songs over the past several years. He's looking for very spare piano arrangements with a minimalist approach and tone. Repetitive melodic motives and compelling dynamics could provide the right kind of foundation. The tracks should be between 1:00 and 3:00 long. If he likes your track and is interested in offering a deal, he may also request :30 and :60 edits. He requests that your pieces have clear endings, no fadeouts. Excellent performances are necessary and the sound quality should be great. Broadcast quality is required [excellent-sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS -- NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI -- and must be received no later than July 14, 2008.I've listened to some Philip Glass and Michael Nyman clips, but was hoping some of you fine folks could give this a listen, and tell me if I'm in the ballpark. Should it be stripped down some more? Should I do away with the bridge? Too much this? Not enough that???I still have several weeks to muck around with it, plus I'm working on another piece for this listing and having a tough time keeping things minimal.Click here:http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... anks,Harry

stevebarden
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Minimalist Piano Instrumentals

Post by stevebarden » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:17 am

Hey Harry, that's about as far from minimalist as you can get! There's another thread on this exact subject. Read through the posts and hopefully that will help get you on the right track:http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... d=7986Best of luck,Steve

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:18 am

Will do...

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:26 am

Hi - this is a nice piece, although it comes across as fairly bass heavy. It doesn't feel like a minimalist piece... as per the above post. How did you record it?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi 'Bird,Thanks for replying...I'm glad you mentioned the piece being "bass heavy"...not sure if it's my DAW (Adobe Audition 3.0) or not, but pretty much everything I record, whether it's by mic or line in, comes out bassy. I always end up taking off some mid-lows via parametric EQ, and it usually solves the problem.In this case, I used a Bosendorfer 290 Piano VSTi to my Audition 3.0 via a Presonus Firepod, without the parametric EQ. The Bosendorfer gives me too many "sound" options/layers wet/dry etc...makes me crazy...After a while I can't tell what sounds good...just give me a grand piano with a few different mic placements, and I can take it from there!Do you think it sounded too stiff? Did I overdo the dynamics...go ahead, I can take it ;->Thanks,Harryps. I just eq-ed the song and re-uploaded...if you have the time, maybe you could give a quick re-listen and tell me if it's still too bassy...

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by hazineju » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi Harry, it's a nice song and i do really like the dynamics. you do have "repetitive melodic motives," but that unfortunatley doesn't make it minimalist in approach and tone. it sounds too mainstream-ish, perhaps something even simpler and sparser would do the trick. do check out the other thread, i found it helpful. also, i saw you listened to philip glass, i think his piano etudes album is a good example along the lines of what the listing is asking for. i am submitting to this listing too, and i must say it is much more difficult to get a minimalist tone than expected!! i was thinking, "yes, easy listing," but i've had a heck of a time getting the pieces to fall into that zone. i think i heard the newly eq'd version 'cause it doesn't sound too bass-y to me. -juliet

mer
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:09 pm

Juliet, I'm glad it's not just me having challenges with the minimalist listing! Lots of fun, though. Will you post your track?--Mer

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:09 pm

You never stop learning, do ya....I've been working on a second track that I thought was inferior to the one I posted above, but now I think it may be closer to the minimalist genre...strange thing this music...never ceases to amaze me...what might seem to be junk to one person, is a treasure to another.....heard that somewhere.....Harry

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by hazineju » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:21 am

Hi Mer and Harry, i will be happy to post a couple of my attempts for your thoughts and feedback, question is where should i post them, on this thread, Mer's thread or make a new one? -juliet

macca2356

Post by macca2356 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:52 am

Hey, this is my attempt at a minimalist piece. I'd really appreciate all feedback to see if I'm heading in the right direction?!?! Thanks!! http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... 7&stream=1