Doc Ironbeard: MINIMALISTIC CHILDREN'S INSTRUMENTAL

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Doc Ironbeard: MINIMALISTIC CHILDREN'S INSTRUMENTAL

Post by CTWF » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:55 pm

The melody is from an old German PD fraternity song, "Doktor Eisenbart".

Does it work?
Is it playful enough?
Is it too MIDI-driven?
Too simple?
Not simple enough? :?

Any input is welcome! :)

Tom

[See SoundCloud link further down.]
MINIMALISTIC CHILDREN'S INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a successful International Music Licensing Company with worldwide distribution through BMG!

Please submit playful, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that could stylistically fit on a playlist with these references:

Ten in the Bed | CoCoMelon Nursery Rhymes & Kids Songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZkPYzIKZNc

Apples & Bananas | Super Simple Songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5WLXZspD1M

Bingo Was His Name-O
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hWcv6fGe9w

IMPORTANT NOTE: For this request, they are NOT looking for lullabies, so please avoid sending those in.

They’re on the hunt for well-crafted Instrumental Cues that would appeal to Pre-School and Kindergarten-aged children. Cues should have simple, FUN, easily recalled melodies. Stick to an emotionally positive mood and style, and one melodic motif and emotion from beginning to end. Adding and subtracting layers of instrumentation as your pieces progress might give them a sense of forward movement. Remember to keep it small!

Quoting the Music Library: “We are looking for tracks that are minimalist, sparse, and somewhat simplistic. That does NOT mean boring, repetitive, or without evolvement.” No solo pieces, please.

All submissions should be about Two Minutes long (give or take) with non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - Short Critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Sunday, June 16th, 2019. TAXI #Y190616CH
Last edited by CTWF on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Doc Ironbeard: MINIMALISTIC CHILDREN'S INSTRUMENTAL

Post by CTWF » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Okay, here is the newest version with bridge and everything. :)

Tom

P.S.: My wife said maybe it gets a little too slow for kids in the middle. Does it?

(Link removed.)
Last edited by CTWF on Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:54 pm

I did some EQing (for the better, I think...). Link in the last post still is newest version. Tom

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:58 am

Listening again this morning, talking to myself, :roll: :lol: my main concerns are:
1. Not simple enough?
2. The slowdown part of the bridge?
I think playful enough it is. Productionwise, I hope it has no major issues.

Tom

CaseyK

Post by CaseyK » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Hey Tom!

Thanks for sharing your work in progress! Children's music is not super in my wheelhouse, but I thought I would give you my initial 2 cents anyway. I think your concern about the song's simplicity/ the melody's memorability is not completely unfounded. After the first time through, I was having a hard time recalling exactly what the melody was. However, after listening a second time, the melody came very easily to me. I think maybe the reason it was hard to remember the first time is because of the surrounding instrumentation. It seemed pretty loud to me and I think it distracts from the melody. The bass part (with the I-V movement) was particularly distracting to me. The other piece I might consider is adjusting the volumes of the synth and xylo in the melody. The synth has a tiny bit of pitch bend in the attack and I think for me, that made it difficult initially to grasp the melody.

Apart from that, I think it's great! There is some really creative ear candy in there. I also like how the xylo rolls up to some of the notes. It adds a unique playfulness to the track! Thank you for sharing and I hope this listing goes well for you!

-Casey

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:48 am

CaseyK wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:49 pm
-Casey
Hi Casey

Very good points! I have reduced the level (and the role) of the synth especially at the beginning, and increased the marimba, so the main melody becomes clearer. Hihats and claps are less loud as well, and I also reduced the brass which you found so distracting. In the second and fourth quarter I allow the synth and brass a bigger role, and be more playful, as by then the melody should be established. I hope it works better, and many thanks for listening and commenting!

Tom

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 am

Bombed out again on this one: Screener #416 wrote
Nice job on this, but I think a more simple groove introduced early on, might help this along and lock things in a little better. Then more layers or new voices playing your lead as you progress might really propel this forward a little. Overall, more focus and clarity.... this is also a little long. They were looking for around 2 minutes... so in the future, for a request like this, think shorter, more clear and concise...
Note sure what he/she means by "a little long" - it is 1:59!! I wrote the to headscreener to clarify if that comment really belongs to my track.

Tom

CaseyK

Post by CaseyK » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:42 pm

CTWF wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 am
Bombed out again on this one: Screener #416 wrote
Nice job on this, but I think a more simple groove introduced early on, might help this along and lock things in a little better. Then more layers or new voices playing your lead as you progress might really propel this forward a little. Overall, more focus and clarity.... this is also a little long. They were looking for around 2 minutes... so in the future, for a request like this, think shorter, more clear and concise...
Note sure what he/she means by "a little long" - it is 1:59!! I wrote the to headscreener to clarify if that comment really belongs to my track.

Tom
Hey Tom,

Sorry to hear you didn't get the forward :/ I thought the edits you made were fantastic and brought a lot of clarity to the melody. Strange that he thought it was long...good idea checking to see if that was for your cue. Please keep me updated! I'd love to hear if there is anything more on this.

-Casey

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:21 pm

CaseyK wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:42 pm
Hey Tom,

Sorry to hear you didn't get the forward :/ I thought the edits you made were fantastic and brought a lot of clarity to the melody. Strange that he thought it was long...good idea checking to see if that was for your cue. Please keep me updated! I'd love to hear if there is anything more on this.

-Casey
Hi Casey,

glad you liked my edits! So, Head Screener Angela wrote back to me a few days ago (I was offline for 5 days for unrelated reasons) and the glitch in the system that some of us (including me) noticed seems to be responsible for the length issue. Sounds to me (this is my interpretation!) that the repeated upload attempts by me during the glitch were glued together. TAXI gave me a $5 credit for the next submission, i.e. essentially I got a refund. However, she wrote along the lines of the screener that a stronger groove (more percussion) and a new voice for the lead would have made the piece stronger.

Still, could I have made it if the proper 1:59 version had been screened? I guess I will have to live with the "maybe".

Tom