Missed opportunity .. or two ?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Legacy

Missed opportunity .. or two ?

Post by Legacy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:18 am

Hello fellow indies !

I produced an instrumental specifically for listing #Y110715PO, the "Big $ Ad agency" who wanted a Pop piece for their female fall fashion line .. I imagine that most of you read the email. My piece, IMO, turned out perfect for the listing because it was exactly what they had asked for at every step of the way. Unfortunately (for the Big $ Ad agency), I missed the deadline due to some bad information I pulled off Google about time zones. :(

As far as I'm concerned, this was not only a guaranteed forward, but a strong candidate to bring it home. I watched "screening with Mike" for that listing and that only confirmed those suspicions.

The song is on my Taxi page, and is called "Dancing on the Sidewalk", here : http://www.taxi.com/legacyrecords

Now, another listing has popped up, #Y110721SS, which is very similar to #Y110715PO. I thought about submitting the said instrumental but for one criteria ... the new listing says "keep it indie sounding and NOT JINGLE-Y" ! So I listened to the piece again, and decided that it indeed sounds more jingle-y than indie .. and for that reason will not bother submitting to the new listing.

I'm basically looking for some feedback on my thought process here .. would you guys agree? Do you think that it would have surely been forwarded for #Y110715PO, and that I should stay away from #Y110721SS due to the jingle-yness?

Just trying to see / hear things through some other sets of sensory input devices, other than my own. What do you guys think? Am I on the right track here?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are both the listings in case anyone is not sure what I'm referring to

MAJOR NY AD AGENCY needs a FUN, UPTEMPO POP or INDIE POP SONG (Instrumentals and Songs are both okay to submit for this) for a NATIONAL TV SPOT for a HUGE RETAIL CLOTHING CHAIN'S TV CAMPAIGN for (Female) FALL FASHION. This will PROBABLY pay $25,000 for the PERFECT piece! Musically, your SONG or INSTRUMENTAL TRACK needs to be FUN, HIP, HAPPY, COOL, PLAYFUL, SPIRITED, POSITIVE, CONTEMPORARY, and INFECTIOUSLY CATCHY. The music they've typically used is VERY Rhythm and Melody based, meaning that they like their viewers to tap their feet and sing along. MALE and FEMALE VOCALS are BOTH OKAY. Quoting the agency: "The spot celebrates femininity, individuality and empowerment, and the song, while still keeping in step with our character (fun, playful, upbeat, optimistic) should do the same. Lyrics will probably only be audible toward the end of the spot, if at all, because of Voice Over copy, so they are NOT mandatory. If a song DOES have lyrics, it would be great for them to tie in with this theme." Possible LYRIC THEMES: Take charge, Express Yourself, Spirit, Originality, Style, Unique, and Self Confidence. But the Agency has warned us this is "NOT chest pounding or bragging, and NOT an anthem to female empowerment. The SONG or INSTRUMENTAL TRACK should have a BRIGHT, FRIENDLY ENERGY, and even possibly a whimsical or playful tone. It should be catchy, memorable and fun." DO NOT SUBMIT any Helen Reddy, "I Am Woman" type songs!! TAXI TIP of the Day: AVOID making your lyrics too "on the nose." Mentions of the LYRIC THEMES can be a good thing, but incorporating many or all of them is too over the top. If you are submitting a SONG, please submit a FULL-LENGTH SONG with VOCALS. You'd be wise to have a mix minus the vocal ready to go, but DO NOT submit it at this time. Give your song or track a title that makes them think you're a cool Indie artist. FADED endings strongly preferred. DO NOT title your submission like you would for a music library pitch. This is DIRECT-to-the-Agency, so you'll KEEP 100% of this deal with NO Publisher Splits! Broadcast Quality is needed (excellent home recordings are fine). You must own or control 100% of the Master and Composition rights. If you ARE chosen, the Ad Agency will contact you DIRECTLY. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS. NO FULL CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than FRIDAY, JULY 15th at 5pm, (PDT). TAXI Listing #Y110715PO

Huge NY Ad Agency URGENTLY needs a "QUIRKY, SIMPLE, INDIE BAND or SINGER/SONGWRITER SONG --or-- INSTRUMENTAL for a NATIONAL TV COMMERCIAL for a huge Consumer Electronics brand. ESTIMATED FEE: $10,000 for SONG version - no idea for the Instrumental version. They need a little bounce, some contemporary hipness, Indie-ness, catchy/memorable melody and lyrics (if you submit a song) that are about "Life is easier," "Easy," or "You make my life Easier." They are NOT looking for a relationship song, so leave the lovey-dovey stuff at home. This spot is about how this company and the product/service it sells make life EASY. TAXI Tip: Additional lyric themes that could work; "You're always there for me, "You're always there when I need you," "You're always there, making my life easy (easier)," "Life is easier when you're around or when you're with me." MALE or FEMALE VOCALS are BOTH okay for this if you submit a song. Keep it Indie sounding, not jingle-y! FULL-LENGTH SONGS (if you include lyrics) or 30 second versions (for Instrumentals) are both okay to submit. NO BIG PRODUCTIONS--KEEP IT SIMPLE and make it COOL and INDIE-Sounding. DO NOT title your submission like you would for a music library pitch. This is DIRECT-to-the-Agency, so you'll KEEP 100% of this deal with NO Publisher Splits! Broadcast Quality is needed (excellent home recordings are fine). You must own or control 100% of the Master and Composition rights. If you ARE chosen, the Ad Agency will contact you DIRECTLY. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. Include LYRIC SHEETS where applicable. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS. NO FULL CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than THURSDAY, JULY 21st at 1pm, (PDT). TAXI Listing #Y110721SS