Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Mix on "Not The Place Or The Time"

Post by LamarPecorino » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:01 pm

funsongs wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:01 pm
Agreeing - it's a great-sounding track, I too was Jonesin' for a bit more of the upright bass - but when I listened at low volume, it was still there. Maybe up just 1 db would do it.
I was wondering also about the drums...
When you add strings to that otherwise Big Band (I'm thinking Buddy Rich) it sounds more orchestral, and makes me think of a Radio City/New York kind of vibe.
Cool - looking forward to hearing how you tweak it.
Cheers.
Thanks, Peter!
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:05 pm

JohnDroese wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:55 pm
Hi Lamar cool Track! I like the bass where it is in the track its tight and it drives..... for me I don't care for the stereo spread of the horns.... I want them to be wider and fuller there is a place in the track where they completely go out on the right Side I understand its because you have it set up like a real band.... But for me part of the beauty of recorded music is you don't have to abide by the restrictions of true space and time....I would copy each of the horn parts onto a second track use a different eq and move forward 4 or 5 clicks to keep from having phase issues and create that Huge Tommy Dorsey wall of horns....obviously nott to the point they take over the track I just want to hear them a little bigger.....Just my $.02
Here is a similar track I did https://soundcloud.com/john-droese/hope ... ond-chance
Thanks for listening and writing, John. I'll definitely check out your track. I'll share your thoughts with the mix engineer.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:11 pm

JohnDroese wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:02 pm
oh and at this point we are just nitpicking and preference..... The track sounds great you and your team did a great job!
A global team effort it has been. We wrote the song in Texas. The arrangement was written in South America. The Saxes were recorded in Italy. The Brass were recorded in Canada, The Strings were recorded in Russia. It is being mixed in Greece. (Cue up Disney theme "It's A Small World :lol: )
Onward and upward!
Lamar

Steverino
Active
Active

Post by Steverino » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:48 pm

Hi Lamar,

I am a big fan of this big band genre. You have a really nice tune with a really good mix. In my opinion, the one area where you could you improve this production is with the brass instruments. The attacks of the brass instruments sound good, but when the brass plays a sustained note, the sustain sometime sounds unnatural. I do not know how I would fix this....perhaps with an envelope plug in? EQ?

Best of luck!
Steve

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:26 am

Steverino wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:48 pm
Hi Lamar,

I am a big fan of this big band genre. You have a really nice tune with a really good mix. In my opinion, the one area where you could you improve this production is with the brass instruments. The attacks of the brass instruments sound good, but when the brass plays a sustained note, the sustain sometime sounds unnatural. I do not know how I would fix this....perhaps with an envelope plug in? EQ?

Best of luck!
Steve
Thanks, Steve. I'm glad that you enjoyed the tune. I'll pass your suggestion on the mix engineer.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:33 am

Here's the latest mix on "Not The Place Or The Time". I have 24 hours to approve it. Let me know if you hear something terribly wrong with it. Thanks for your ongoing friendship and support. I'll post the mastered link tomorrow.

https://soundcloud.com/user-155785959/n ... xN7f7WFJly
Onward and upward!
Lamar

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:55 am

As an avid Buddy Rich/BIg Band fan - I guess I'm always wanting to hear more drums - at least enough to hear them locking with the bass.
BUT - would that hurt a track like this for placement-sake in film or TV? I don't know.
Great song, track, and vocal.
Good luck with its future.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:25 pm

funsongs wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:55 am
As an avid Buddy Rich/BIg Band fan - I guess I'm always wanting to hear more drums - at least enough to hear them locking with the bass.
BUT - would that hurt a track like this for placement-sake in film or TV? I don't know.
Great song, track, and vocal.
Good luck with its future.
Thanks for always listening and writing, Peter. I understand your point. It was something that was taken into consideration. The drum track was played on a Roland kit, so there was plenty of flexibility with the sound. I have a nice collection of drum libraries. We used a more modern Jazz kit initially. While I liked it, it seemed too explosive for the intent of the lyric. Then we tried the Big Band kit from EZ Drummer 2. It is a vintage (30s -40s) jazz kit recorded at Capitol Studios by Al Schmidt. That gave the song a warmth that was lacking.

Check it out: https://www.toontrack.com/product/big-band-ezx/
Onward and upward!
Lamar

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Here is the Mastered version of "Not The Place Or The Time".

https://soundcloud.com/user-155785959/n ... eppZrIXMuv
Onward and upward!
Lamar