Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Mix Review: Inspirational Piano/Strings Cue

Post by waveheavy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:36 pm

ksutton1207 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:25 pm

Thank you, Dave! Some great advice and I totally agree.

Funny you mention Spitfire... I'm using one of their libraries. :) I went back and found a few videos by one of their founders, Christian, on how to program realistic sounding strings (Part 1 and 2). What's immediately apparent is that he has his fingers on at least two automation faders at any given time, usually expression and dynamics at a minimum. I went back and re-tracked automation on these tracks and I think it's helped tremendously.
Yeah, I've seen that Video by Christian Hensen. Chamber Strings performance Legato is crazy... good! See Paul Thompson manipulate automation performance for optional Vibrato and Speed controls in the Ensemble patch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpNvHsTZnRs

FYI, or for others who might not know:
MIDI CC#11 Expression is just a second volume control. CC#7 is the main Volume. CC#11 Expression doesn't change an instrument patch's timbre, just volume. Spitfire usually default sets their 'Dynamics' button to control an instrument's timbre changes (usually assigned to CC#1 Modulation). The virtual libraries each do their own thing and slap names on their controllers, but they all leave it to you to assign MIDI CC# to whatever MIDI controller you want.