"Mixing To Standard"-New Mix Up

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "Mixing To Standard"

Post by ibanez468 » Wed May 21, 2008 4:35 pm

May 21, 2008, 6:21pm, hurowitz wrote:Steve is back in townSteve is back in townSteve is back in townSteve is back in townSteve is back in town YEAH!!! Bring it on Steve-o!

jeffabbey
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jeffabbey » Fri May 23, 2008 5:35 pm

By the way Hazineju,Did you ever get your questions answered…Apr 24, 2008, 5:47pm, hazineju wrote:Does anyone know what that means? Apr 24, 2008, 5:47pm, hazineju wrote:…The reviewer mentioned some pitch problems on the vocal, do you think that is what they are referring to, or does it mean i need to rework eqs, etc?I have your song on loop playing over and over and I’m not hearing pitch problems here, I’m hearing a beautiful voice as well as song, and so now I’m wondering if I’m listening to a new version than before. Not that I heard any off notes then.As far as the panning of this song I’m finding nothing wrong, however, at the present time I’m listening through stage speakers instead of my studio phones so it’s difficult to judge the eq.Let me know if you have resubmitted and if I’m now listening to a different mix as well as eq version.Jeff

jeffabbey
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jeffabbey » Sun May 25, 2008 6:47 pm

Hello Hazineju,As I stated above, I was wondering if your question was answered, and from my opinion, it has not. Now perhaps my dyslexia caused me to miss someone’s mention of it. As I was looping your song over and over and trying to find this intonation problem, that I did not find, is what caused me to question those who critique. In other words, was this person just in a bad mood that day? If so I would have to say to that person, “(that’s an ouch, baby )”Critique:Music – 8Engineering – 8Marketability – 7 Perhaps it is not in accordance with what was originally asked for, but it is definitely marketable in other genres.Lead Vocal – 7 Give me a break! The voice is beautiful.Now perhaps within the TAXI owner’s manual in the glove compartment, there are definitions that define the difference between “Production” and “Engineering” and Steve will probably point that out for us. However, there is a difference between the two. Now in my definition book “Engineering” would have to do with the mixing as well as the special effects. While “Production” would have to with the ability EQ everything right on the money giving it that big movie sound, where as with “TV” there is a difference, though sometimes slight. However, a real producer is standing over the shoulder of the one who is mixing the entire time, so to speak, and he/she has the artful skill of bringing it to its final stages. EXAMPLE: The difference between the actor and the director and the difference between the director and the producer. Each is an expert in their field.It has been mentioned within one of the post above that we are required to wear all hats. So to expound, a musician must have enough money to hire each person that is an expert in his or her field and risk the chance of being rejected after doing so.There for, the second part of your question, “… or does it mean I need to rework my eqs, etc?” does not get answered within any of the posts, and again I must assume that it has not. I state this because when I compare your song to that of other mp3’s on my computer, it tends to be a bit muddy in comparison. However, this may not be as daunting a task as you may think. I was hoping that you would send me the final mix in its waveform to try an EQ master analyze and see if I could fix the problem. I would do this not as a collaboration and expect any money because I am no master at mastering. I just wanted to give it a shot.Prior to my understanding that this song was intended for movie and or TV brings me back to my original question, “The critiquers of TAXI should be judging the song and musicianship only and should know that on all professional recordings that it is not the musician who does the mixing, but that this is hired out to a professional in this field.” (Hey Steve, did you notice that I just corrected all my spelling from my original quote with the exception of the word “critiquers”. That’s a word I purposely made up. However, though there is a word “jes” you should check your grammar, “… is jes gonna end up cost you extra money…). Relax Steve. I like you. I’m just jesting. So you will find me shooting little digs just for kicks that will go something like… Steve, I sincerely apologize for having sincerely apologizing to you.Jeff

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by hazineju » Wed May 28, 2008 3:13 am

Hi Jeff that is sooo nice of you to offer and i will totally take you up on it! give me about a week to do a few more touch ups and i will PM you when i get it together. if you ever need some female vox i'd be happy to contribute in exchange for doing this for me. although you might have to look out for some pitch problems.

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by daniel481 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:34 am

Hey Bill, it's not a good thing, but unfortunately it's what's expected 99% of the time in commercial music these days...

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:40 pm

Jun 17, 2008, 1:34pm, daniel481 wrote:Hey Bill, it's not a good thing, but unfortunately it's what's expected 99% of the time in commercial music these days... Your right. I had a job producing a track for a country band. I thought it turned out pretty good but when I delivered the final they just didn't think it sounded quite "right". Deep down inside I knew what they wanted. Finally I just compressed the you-know-what out of it, peak limited the thing right a zero db. The waveform looked like one solid glob. They loved it . . . "wow, this is the best sound we've ever gotten!" They paid me & hired me to do some more work with them. So long story short, I'm part of the problem. I'm pretty sure the "mixing to standard" comment must have something to do with overall volume but I've never heard the term before. What I usually here is "we want this to be loud as $*&^%>!" And I say "ok."

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by hazineju » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Hey Everyone and thanks sooo much for your comments and feedback. Fellow new forum member, Jeff Abbey, was kind enough to offer to take a stab at reworking the EQ a bit and we've been passing the song back and forth for awhile now trying to get it "mixed to standard!" Thanks again Jeff!!i'm posting a new link here: http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... 0&stream=1 and would be grateful if you listened to the new version and let us know what you think. i touched up a few spots vocally by re-singing, not auto-tuning, but you probably won't notice those changes, they were mostly in the BGs. Jeff might want to add what he did specifically, but the goal was to get the vocals more clear and more present, but still keep the bass in there to give it a hint of that club feel in the speakers. And of course to make it that mastered, louder sound that billg just mentioned (for better or for worse) so what do you think?