Modern hip hop instrumental. What's missing?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kazaraki
Active
Active

Modern hip hop instrumental. What's missing?

Post by kazaraki » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:57 pm

Hi fellow Taxi Members,

Can't seem to crack the modern hip hop instrumental genre. After listening back, I know the mix needs work and could be more polished but the screener mentioned that my sounds and rhythms do not match the listing. I'm thinking maybe my leads are too busy or not melodically engaging. I felt that I followed the instrumentation of the first reference track pretty closely (pads and plucks) but not according to the screener. Can you guys let me know how you think I can improve this track?

Much appreciated!!

-Kaz

Listing:
MODERN HIP-HOP INSTRUMENTAL TRACKS are needed by a super well-connected Publisher for collaboration with an emerging Top-Line Artist for placements in Film & TV.

"Smile" by Juice WRLD & The Weeknd

"Toosie Slide" by Drake

"Moonlight" by XXXTENTACION

NOTE: They’re in search of Instrumental Tracks that sound more like they belong on a hit record and less like what might be found in a Production Music Library.

Send them top-notch Hip-Hop Instrumentals with polished production and lots of mainstream appeal. Your submissions should be rhythmically and melodically engaging, with speaker-knocking beats, catchy hooks, and modern ear candy throughout. Any virtual instruments you use need to sound current and high-quality. No dated production or arrangements, please!

My Track:
https://soundcloud.com/user-821191058/night-dance-1

Screener's feedback:
I think you could improve this song by:

"This publisher is looking for very current sounding hip hop tracks. You might start with a more inventive beat and more rhythmic and catchy sonic elements.
I returned or forwarded this song because

Night Dance is not close enough to the rhythms or instrumentation referenced."

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Modern hip hop instrumental. What's missing?

Post by gitanosoy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:12 pm

Hi Kaz..Yeah I love Hip-Hop and have done a couple for a listing just to find out where I stand, not my genre but I learnt that if I really want to write more tracks and submit I have to buy some more current sound libraries .

My 2 cents yes the piano sounds are not suiting the composition, great beat by the way and the mix is a bit muddy....just clean it up with more space and submit again in the furure.

I am sure others more experienced with this genre will have better advice.

kazaraki
Active
Active

Post by kazaraki » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:55 am

Hi Gitanosoy,

Cool, I'll listen back to the piano and do some revisions. Yeah, getting the right high quality sounds can be a challenge. I use omnisphere but that's like $400. I think if you can do sound design, it's possible to get all the current sounds from one synthesizer.

Thanks for your input!

Kaz

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:05 pm

Cool Beat Kaz.... I agree with what the screener said but the real reason that track was passed on was the production.... The low end is out of control you need to tame that beast....lol
Here is what you do YouTube a reality show like keeping up with the kardashins or such and turn the volume down then lay your track in there real low and talk over it..... its not possible with that low end. and that's where a track like this will end up.... The added noise? don't do that tv shows don't want that and on the off chance they do they will add it....trust me.... The drums were just muffled need to roll off the low end and use a compressor.... You are getting there.... You have skills Just not quite there on the production..... As far as the writing is concerned some of the sounds seemed out of place and the Melodys you chose had a more middle eastern feel kind of with the trap beat While it was extremest;ey cool I don't think it was what this listing was looking for..... Hope that helps.... The cool thing is if you keep doing this daily in a short amount of time you will be looking back on that mix shaking your head...... we've all been there my friend

Best of luck
John

kazaraki
Active
Active

Post by kazaraki » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:26 am

Hi John,

Thanks so much for the advice! The tip about putting music under the Kardashians is a really good idea and I'll be sure to try it out.

Haha, yeah that low end is pretty crazy! I'll EQ some of those low frequencies and use a compressor to control it a bit. I appreciate the encouragement! The whole mixing thing is not something that comes naturally to me but I'm going to keep at it because of my background as a guitarist.

Best,
Kaz

kazaraki
Active
Active

Post by kazaraki » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:28 am

and I think in terms of the leads, I tend to throw in a lot melodies and countermelodies using different sounds because I'm hoping one of those will sound like the reference track...haha. Anyway, I'll do some tweaking with the leads that sound out of place from the reference track.

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:33 pm

I started as a guitarist as well..... and remember Taxi is only one avenue for your music.... work on your mixing and mastering.... write what feels good to you and if its recorded well it will find a place..... Ive seen it first hand many times You got this!