MODERN LO-FI HIP-HOP INSTRUMENTAL

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: MODERN LO-FI HIP-HOP INSTRUMENTAL

Post by gitanosoy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:27 pm

Hi Tom ...I listened to it 3 times .Sorry the lead instrument is not working for me and it goes a few decimals out of tune here and there and it feels very stiff and the piano notes are a bit harsh sounding..It is chill so I wouldn't worry about developing arc for once, the ones I got forwarded to this library have no developing arc..just chill and same vibe all the way through with edit points.

A bit more reverb needed to smooth out the track as it indicates in the listing" a mixture of lots of reverb and dry reverb "

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:49 pm

Too midi sounding..I keep telling you..the screeners have said as much. If you actually had a couple of decent instrument it would sound 50% better just by swapping out the presets

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:49 pm

Yeah, cosmicdolphin said it as well, too midi sounding...yes a softer synth sound, maybe a soft trumpet..with soft pads underneath..e.t.c.. and work on the notes, more legato carrying on and overlapping the other one a little to smooth it out... that's all I got for now.

About the organ..as a lead??? well..as far as current sounding..organ is not to hip in a chill hip-hop.. :D

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:51 pm

Hey Cwtf!

For what it's worth I think it starts of chill, similar to the references, but the drums and perc sounds pull you out from the chill. I'm finding the beat a bit jarring in sections, pulling you away from the vibe you started with - and further from the references.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I'm still a novice at this, but that's what I'm hearing.

Cheers,
Brad

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:43 am

CTWF wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:48 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:49 pm
Too midi sounding..I keep telling you..the screeners have said as much. If you actually had a couple of decent instrument it would sound 50% better just by swapping out the presets
Do you mean overall, or just the lead synth (organ)?
Generally... in most of your tracks. Get Komplete ( or something similar ) on the Black Friday sale or you'll wind up wasting a bunch more time and money on submissions for listings you haven't got the tools to make.

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:57 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:43 am
CTWF wrote:
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:49 pm
Generally... in most of your tracks. Get Komplete ( or something similar ) on the Black Friday sale or you'll wind up wasting a bunch more time and money on submissions for listings you haven't got the tools to make.
I agree with the overall feedback. I like the kick but the snare/clap sound is throws everything off with the offbeat hits. The static I would ditch too because it takes away from the recording quality. It sounds like my demos back in the 90's when pops appeared throughout my songs...lol. I hate to say it but I think you need an upgrade. The tempo with the drums are so slow that it actually drags the rest of the track like it weighs a ton. Because of that, what normally would be a chill track has turned into a quiet desperation of disorderly depression. That is how it feels to me anyways.
Cheers!

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:58 am

Robertj64 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:57 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:43 am
CTWF wrote:

I agree with the overall feedback. I like the kick but the snare/clap sound is throws everything off with the offbeat hits. The static I would ditch too because it takes away from the recording quality. It sounds like my demos back in the late 80's when pops appeared throughout my songs...lol. I hate to say it but I think you need an upgrade. The tempo with the drums are so slow that it actually drags the rest of the track like it weighs a ton. Because of that, what normally would be a chill track has turned into a quiet desperation of disorderly depression. That is how it feels to me anyways.
Cheers!

Peterg
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Peterg » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:31 pm

I sort of agree with what everyone has said. To me it sounds a bit more new age than lofi hop hop. The examples have richer lush chords and subsonic bass that yours seems to be missing.
Cheers

Peter

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:18 am

Sounds like I can hear a sample of people taking...bit of a no no for sync...they already have people who are talking over the music

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:14 am

Well it is much smoother that's for sure.. now cut out the talking.