We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mattbee
Active
Active

Modern Pop Cue feedback

Post by mattbee » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:30 am

Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the cue I've wrote for the below listing please? When it comes to the synths, I probably hear the references evolving/modulating more and feeling more 'alive' than mine - is this something anyone feels mine is lacking/has any suggestions on, I think down the lines of maybe playing around more with the cutoffs/resonance etc? (Guitars are my first language, I'd say I'm still learning to hold a conversation when it comes to synths so hope that makes sense).

Many thanks in advance for any feedback at all :)

Matt

https://s.disco.ac/vdysfqmugygt

Lots of MODERN POP INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an International Music Library with lots of great placements in Film and TV.

NOTE: We previously ran this request as Dispatch Listing #D220718WF, but the Company is looking for more material, and they asked us to try again. If you submitted to listing #D220718WF, please send different material this time around.

This Library is searching high and low for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals (or Cues) that could be found on a playlist with the following references we got directly from them:

"Levitating" by Dua Lipa

"Tucked" by Katy Perry

"Quiet" by Camila Cabello

Although the references have Vocals, please submit Instrumentals Only for this request.

Send them top-notch Pop Instrumentals (or Cues) with hooky motifs, engaging beats, slick arrangements, and tons of upbeat energy that could work well for reality TV shows like Selling Sunset. Your submissions should have polished production, high-quality virtual instruments and sounds, and modern Pop instrumentation that's generally similar to the references – think synths, electric guitars, ear candy, etc. Craft your pieces around a central motif and layer instrumentation in and out as they progress to create strong dynamics, momentum, and interest.

Your submissions should be roughly 90 Seconds long for Cues, and about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumentals you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Sunday, August 14th, 2022. TAXI # S220814PP

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Modern Pop Cue feedback

Post by melodea » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:39 am

Hi Matt

This listing has a very high bar! I submitted 3 songs on the previous listing mentioned in that one (the results came in only last night, a week after the new listing came up referring to the one I submitted to...hmmmm??). Two tracks got returned and one made it thru! Screener 447 is extremely hard to please. Having said that I think your track needs a couple of adjustments: The drums and the bass don't sound contemporary enough in terms of presence and punch. The overall structure is ok. They need great motifs and themes (the reason my two tracks got rejected). The lead sound sounds a bit dated. And yes the comp sound could use some modulation and movement. I would really suggest analyzing the ref and other top 40 tracks very carefully to match the quality of the overall sound. It has to be at least as good as the stuff out there.

Maybe it's interesting for you to listen to my cues that got rejected and the one that got forwarded so you can compare and see where the benchmark is:
Rejected
https://www.taxi.com/members/jFlSTGTDRQ ... iding-high (melody could be developed better)
https://www.taxi.com/members/jFlSTGTDRQ ... sunny-side (melody could be developed better, sound-quality could be better)
Forward
https://www.taxi.com/members/jFlSTGTDRQ ... merry-muse

good luck

Chris
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:11 pm

melodea wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:39 am
Hi Matt

This listing has a very high bar! I submitted 3 songs on the previous listing mentioned in that one (the results came in only last night, a week after the new listing came up referring to the one I submitted to...hmmmm??). Two tracks got returned and one made it thru! Screener 447 is extremely hard to please. Having said that I think your track needs a couple of adjustments: The drums and the bass don't sound contemporary enough in terms of presence and punch. The overall structure is ok. They need great motifs and themes (the reason my two tracks got rejected). The lead sound sounds a bit dated. And yes the comp sound could use some modulation and movement. I would really suggest analyzing the ref and other top 40 tracks very carefully to match the quality of the overall sound. It has to be at least as good as the stuff out there.

Maybe it's interesting for you to listen to my cues that got rejected and the one that got forwarded so you can compare and see where the benchmark is:
Rejected
https://www.taxi.com/members/jFlSTGTDRQ ... iding-high (melody could be developed better)
https://www.taxi.com/members/jFlSTGTDRQ ... sunny-side (melody could be developed better, sound-quality could be better)
Forward
https://www.taxi.com/members/jFlSTGTDRQ ... merry-muse

good luck

Chris
Hey Chris,

Thanks so much for the advice - much appreciated! I'll have a listen to your tracks after work today, that's really helpful so thanks for that. I think one of the things I perhaps struggle with is the ever present 80s influence on pop these days, even though it's not my era it seems to be a tricky balance to reference that sound and still sound modern. Definitely need to go into the bass tone also like you suggest too.

Many thanks,

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:29 pm

You are so right about the 80ties influence!

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:29 pm

melodea wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:29 pm
You are so right about the 80s influence!

jefflaplante
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jefflaplante » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:05 pm

I would say that the main guitar melody is actually quite appropriate to the listing, albeit simple. What is lacking though, are the backing instruments. I would invest in some better virtual instruments like Omnisphere, which will provide much more dynamic and exciting synth pads and/or arpeggios. Also, the drum programming needs work. If you're not into using loops from Splice/Stylus RMX, etc, then you definitely need to be using Toontrack EZDrummer at the very least. Superior Drummer, Steven Slate, Damage, etc...are all options as well, but are much more pricey.
Good news is that you understand the structure of a cue. That is on point. Just update your sounds and you will level up immediately.

AlonMarcus
Active
Active

Post by AlonMarcus » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:50 pm

So many smart things have been said, I'd just want to add that I liked the humming synth in the beginning.
The melody is beautiful and may be you can layer it with more synths/keyboards as the track progresses.
Your guitar playing is terrific, I think you can wait a bit with the funky comping and enter it later.
Agree about adding some relevant synth sounds as pads but also as melody. Maybe with some melodic embellishments like stutter, if that's appropriate with the 80's vibe.
The low end needs some boosting, the kick and the base.

Great vibe, I could clearly imagine a beach, sunset, drinks and people having some kind of a party.

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:04 pm

mattbee wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:30 am
Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the cue I've wrote for the below listing please? When it comes to the synths, I probably hear the references evolving/modulating more and feeling more 'alive' than mine - is this something anyone feels mine is lacking/has any suggestions on, I think down the lines of maybe playing around more with the cutoffs/resonance etc? (Guitars are my first language, I'd say I'm still learning to hold a conversation when it comes to synths so hope that makes sense).

Matt

Lots of MODERN POP INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an International Music Library with lots of great placements in Film and TV.

NOTE: We previously ran this request as Dispatch Listing #D220718WF, but the Company is looking for more material, and they asked us to try again. If you submitted to listing #D220718WF, please send different material this time around.

This Library is searching high and low for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals (or Cues) that could be found on a playlist with the following references we got directly from them:

"Levitating" by Dua Lipa

"Tucked" by Katy Perry

Although the references have Vocals, please submit Instrumentals Only for this request.

Send them top-notch Pop Instrumentals (or Cues) with hooky motifs, engaging beats, slick arrangements, and tons of upbeat energy that could work well for reality TV shows like Selling Sunset. Your submissions should have polished production, high-quality virtual instruments and sounds, and modern Pop instrumentation that's generally similar to the references – think synths, electric guitars, ear candy, etc. Craft your pieces around a central motif and layer instrumentation in and out as they progress to create strong dynamics, momentum, and interest.

Your submissions should be roughly 90 Seconds long for Cues, and about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumentals you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Sunday, August 14th, 2022. TAXI # S220814PP
Very ear catching intro. Love it!

The soundscape of this track is very well put together.

Not sure its on target for what they are looking for. Levitating has more energy and is more upbeat.

The guitar lead seems too busy but might be better changed out for a synth. Love the rhythm guitar thats a keeper.

For a melody that hooks less notes the better. Try 3, 4 or maybe 5 notes tops. Less is more in pop.

Good luck with the track
All the best!
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:43 am

TheElement wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:04 pm
mattbee wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:30 am
Hey all,

Matt

"Levitating" by Dua Lipa

"Tucked" by Katy Perry

Very ear catching intro. Love it!

The soundscape of this track is very well put together.

Not sure its on target for what they are looking for. Levitating has more energy and is more upbeat.

The guitar lead seems too busy but might be better changed out for a synth. Love the rhythm guitar thats a keeper.

For a melody that hooks less notes the better. Try 3, 4 or maybe 5 notes tops. Less is more in pop.

Good luck with the track
All the best!
Thanks so much for that feedback! Really appreciate it, especially in regards to the melody - it appears even when I think I've made it simple, I still need to be more ruthless :)

Many thanks!

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:50 am

jefflaplante wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:05 pm
I would say that the main guitar melody is actually quite appropriate to the listing, albeit simple. What is lacking though, are the backing instruments. I would invest in some better virtual instruments like Omnisphere, which will provide much more dynamic and exciting synth pads and/or arpeggios. Also, the drum programming needs work. If you're not into using loops from Splice/Stylus RMX, etc, then you definitely need to be using Toontrack EZDrummer at the very least. Superior Drummer, Steven Slate, Damage, etc...are all options as well, but are much more pricey.
Good news is that you understand the structure of a cue. That is on point. Just update your sounds and you will level up immediately.
Thanks for the advice, Jeff! I'm using Serum with some Splice presets for the synth, so hopefully those tools are ok and I can just make better selections with the patches?
I was about to ask you a few follow up questions about which you'd suggest out of those drum programs, but then I thought I should probably start a new thread so I don't hijack my own one, and maybe some others will throw in their 2c also if I make it just about drums. I've stayed away from Splice loops incase they get me into copyright issues when it comes to delivering stems etc, but damn it'd make things quicker :(

I had a listen to your stuff by the way and really enjoyed it so would love your further thoughts, and recognised your name from the 52 cues podcast!

If anyone wanted to chat drum software, I've made a new thread below :)

drum-software-workflow-t149736.html

Much appreciated again,
MB