Modern POP/R&B

Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

karafinman
Impressive
Impressive

Modern POP/R&B

Post by karafinman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:52 am

I would love to collaborate with someone on my song "He Was Talkin' Bout Me". It is on my page at www.taxi.com/melodica.
I got a critique on it that I really value and it let me to this posting. I need someone who can help me bring it home. I truly feel that it is an A+ song that needs an A+ production. I'm seeking someone who is interested in something other than just work-for-hire as I can get that anywhere. I'm reaching out to TAXI members who understand the value of collaboration for this and other pieces in the future. Please send me PM if you are interested.

Here is the critique:

The angle you're taken with your story line stands out uniquely. You did a great job developing your song from a fresh perspective as well it connects with today's Urban/Pop lifestyles. The rap verse also gives your song a relevant style and credibility which helps broaden your audience but you would still need to look for a way to bring your sound and lyric current. Updating your lyric so that it's hip and in touch with your younger Urban/Pop listener's will add the Contemporary appeal you hear in the song references by our listing. Your production and arrangement also sounds a little dated compared to AC styles and sounds today. Coming up with inventive grooves that take your song places your listener's haven't experienced is a great way to impact top 40 radio.

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Modern POP/R&B

Post by NaeDae » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:22 pm

Just heard the song and it's not a bad melody. The lyrics and singing is great and if someone told me that it was a chart topper from some past year, I'd believe them, which is a huge compliment. The biggest issue is the slower pace/phrasing and instrumental resonate an 80's or 90's vibe. Especially the lead bell and the way the vocal melody follows it. It doesn't sound bad, it just sounds old.

If you want to get better, I'd say go to youtube and search " (insert artist name) type beat" for Drake or The Weeknd type beats. Look for the popular ones and find ones that sound like radio-quality. Those are what you should model your production off of. A huge part of it is having the right samples (which you get an ear for finding by listening to a LOT of pop/rnb music). For drums I'd suggest the Mantra Beats Soundpack.

Also, keep in mind the BEST people are typically going to want to be paid upfront because they are in-demand, meaning they'll get paid upfront WITH OR WITHOUT YOU. If you restrict yourself to people who are willing to work for free (and 50/50 is basically free), you're going to end up with people who aren't in demand. A few of those people might actually be very good and just happen to not have their networking in order yet, but for the most part they're less in-demand because they just aren't as good.

karafinman
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Modern POP/R&B

Post by karafinman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:20 am

Great reply, NaeDae, thanks a lot.