Music library collections that don't retain artist names

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PeteCrane
Active
Active

Re: Music library collections that don't retain artist names

Post by PeteCrane » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:41 pm

That is surprising, I would imagine exclusivity would mean for all platforms when it comes to libraries, as any published music will be auto-flagged by YouTube etc and demonetized.
I've also been making the soundtrack for a videogame, and it was important to the game studio that I agree to give them the tracks exclusively and not publish the songs to Spotify etc, so that streamers and YouTubers wouldn't be discouraged from creating content about the game by having their videos copyright stricken or demonetized.
So if a music library allowed their artists to also distribute their own work to Spotify etc, that would limit the usability that library's clients would have for that licensed content.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:21 am

PeteCrane wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:41 pm
That is surprising, I would imagine exclusivity would mean for all platforms when it comes to libraries, as any published music will be auto-flagged by YouTube etc and demonetized.
I've also been making the soundtrack for a videogame, and it was important to the game studio that I agree to give them the tracks exclusively and not publish the songs to Spotify etc, so that streamers and YouTubers wouldn't be discouraged from creating content about the game by having their videos copyright stricken or demonetized.
So if a music library allowed their artists to also distribute their own work to Spotify etc, that would limit the usability that library's clients would have for that licensed content.
Streaming and YouTube are not the same as YouTube involves sync to video and content ID(*). You have to check each contract carefully and check with the library but when I say the exclusivity is limited to Film/TV, that often means limited regarding anything involving sync to video (e.g. not pure audio format). For example, I have songs in exclusive libraries like the ones I referred to. I also have the songs distributed to streaming platforms via Distrokid. However, when I chose which platforms to distribute to, I do not include any involving video (YouTube, TikTok, etc.). But Spotify (and similar), downloads, CDs, are generally OK. When in doubt, check with the library. I could see where a library who markets to video games might have different concerns.

(*) One and only one library should handle your content ID, whether exclusive or non-exclusive.

:D Casey

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:40 am

PeteCrane wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:41 pm
Nah, there are many versions of "exclusive". It can just mean that a music library/ sync publisher wants to be the only one who can offer that song or track in the particular territory they cover, and it can mean that they want to control everything about that track, world wide. It will depend on the contract.

Recently I've even seen deals, where libraries sign music on exclusive contracts and put it on streaming platforms themselves, so deals can be all over the place. Make sure you understand what you are signing.
Ceo of my own life