Music Library Contract

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

yammer107
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Music Library Contract

Post by yammer107 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:43 pm

Dont want to put foot in mouth here - cause I've yet to sign any contracts myself ... But what's the big rush if it's just a library? Dose'nt your music just sit on their shelf until they find a buyer? Most my industry books say try to aviod the libraries - they lock your music up indefinately. You cant sell it anywhere else is my understanding. All sounds fishy to me... I'm just sayin.. .Chris www.myspace.com/christopheryamsek

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:58 pm

Quote: Don't want to put foot in mouth here Ok, you can stop here, thenQuote:- cause I've yet to sign any contracts myself ...But what's the big rush if it's just a library? Dose'nt your music just sit on their shelf until they find a buyer? It doesn't even sit on the shelf until you sign a contract. Soo waiting, well, that doesn't get you anywhere at all. Play the game, or not. It's up to you. Me, I'm in!Quote:Most my industry books say try to aviod the libraries - they lock your music up indefinately. You cant sell it anywhere else is my understanding. Many of them will say, don't lock up your music exclusively, in perpetuity. But a non-exclusive deal, where you can still pitch your stuff elsewhere, is hardly a non-starter.Quote:All sounds fishy to me... I'm just sayin.. .It might sound fishy, but as you said, disqualifying your own advice, what do you know, for sure?Gotta bait and cast pal, can't catch any fish without any deals.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:03 pm

Quote: Dont want to put foot in mouth here - cause I've yet to sign any contracts myself ... But what's the big rush if it's just a library? Dose'nt your music just sit on their shelf until they find a buyer? Most my industry books say try to aviod the libraries - they lock your music up indefinately. You cant sell it anywhere else is my understanding. All sounds fishy to me... I'm just sayin.. .Chris www.myspace.com/christopheryamsekChris,It really depends on what type of writer you are. There are several folks here, matto being the most successful so far, who make a nice living writing for libraries. If you are a songwriter that writes an albums worth of material a year then it's probably better to be choosy who you license your music to. But if you write library-type instrumentals and/or songs and can crank out 50 or more pieces a year, then libraries are a very good place to be.Not sure what books you're reading but if you do a search on the forum here, you'll get some real world information from folks that are actually making money from libraries.If your stuff is good and you have a decent sized catalog, libraries are a very viable option.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:05 pm

Quote: Dont want to put foot in mouth here - cause I've yet to sign any contracts myself ... But what's the big rush if it's just a library? Dose'nt your music just sit on their shelf until they find a buyer? Most my industry books say try to aviod the libraries - they lock your music up indefinately. You cant sell it anywhere else is my understanding. All sounds fishy to me... I'm just sayin.. .Chris www.myspace.com/christopheryamsekWhat music books are you reading that recommend avoiding music libraries?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

yammer107
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by yammer107 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:24 pm

Well Steve - I opened with that statement for a reason. Which was avoid any cheap shots. Didnt work, Thank you. I assure you I'm well aware of the "anything is better than nothing" aspects of the music industry. Anyways - I still think my main point rings true ...Which you failed to comment on ....Why is this individual trying to "rush" him into signing a library contract? And why would there be any reason to threaten to "move on to others" if he didnt respond soon enough..... After all... it is a "library" ...full of other artits ... thats what they do ... what could the urgency possibly be to go sit on his shelf? If theres another reason he's not explaining it - even then you would have to decide whether he's being truthful or not. Some of that contract language looked pretty scary to me.I'm sure anybody else reading this thread would agree with me.

yammer107
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by yammer107 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:28 pm

Hummingbird I would re phrase my statment to say I've read books that "warned" about the fact that you can not pitch your music elsware - and if you havent a large catalog to be careful. Let me see if i can dig this one out.... It's quite old actually ....I believe it was "Attention A & R" .. buy Teri Muench and Susan Pomerantz Amendment : Appologies for leading this thread down a path that is not helpful to its original poster at all.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Quote: Hummingbird I would re phrase my statment to say I've read books that "warned" about the fact that you can not pitch your music elsware - and if you havent a large catalog to be careful. Let me see if i can dig this one out.... It's quite old actually ....I believe it was "Attention A & R" .. buy Teri Muench and Susan Pomerantz Amendment : Appologies for leading this thread down a path that is not helpful to its original poster at all. Just to clarify - the only instance where "you cannot pitch your music elsewhere" is an exclusive deal. Most music libraries & music publishers offer non-exclusive deals. If they do offer an exclusive deal, one should ask for a reversion clause. And they would sign one specific song, or a list of specific songs; not your whole catalogue. While I haven't read the book you mention, one should be careful not to mix up the signing of a band & its music with the placement of music for film & tv with a music library. They are apples & oranges.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

yammer107
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by yammer107 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:40 am

Thanks again hummingbird. Yes most my interest & drive over the years centered around being a band or an artist, as opposed to being a writer for TV or movies. It was also 1999 when I last belonged to TAXI and theres been a a world of change in the industry since then. I also see profile after profile here now of people that have already had some very significant sucess in the industry in one way or another. Folks I wouldent think even needed to be here - but they are, and their competition for me now. TAXI is no longer just a beginners springboard. Nine years ago it appeared to be a larger group of individuals just looking to ink their first deal. So I will sit back, stay quiet, and just learn for awhile this time around. Chris

weapon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weapon » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:37 am

Gong, I read what you posted for what is in the contract, there are several clauses there I would be very careful about. I do all the contract negotiations and writing for Kelly Greene as well as for her corporation, you definitely need to get an entertainment attorney before you sign that and have him look it over.

gongchime
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gongchime » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks weapon. Problem is we're both sick of waiting for the two attorneys contacted to get back to me or for BMI to get back to me either for that matter. do you have an attorney that you can recommend? If not, which clauses would you change?thanks,