Music LIbrary Offer

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Kolle

Music LIbrary Offer

Post by Kolle » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:26 pm

Hello all. . .

I received an offer from a music library, and was wondering if you could tell me if this deal is good/standard and any pros & cons you may have. Thank you in advance for your help on this!
- 100% writer's share for the composer
- 50% of sync, mechanical, and any other income
- Exclusive deal in perpetuity due to international distribution (I need to grant exclusivity for each territory myself)

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Music LIbrary Offer

Post by Casey H » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:44 pm

It is one a few types of standard deals, nothing stands out as unusual for an exclusive deal with international distribution. They payment structure is standard. Exclusive forever is required for international sub-publishing deals. While some exclusive deals have reversion clauses which allow you to remove a track after N years, when there are international sub-publishers, once a track is all over the world, there's no pulling it back.

That being said, you have to be sure you are OK with letting go of a track forever. If you are not that prolific and treat all your works as your "babies", this type of deal may not be for you. But if you know you can easily write a bunch more in the same style it's generally worth it. Was this a cue or a vocal song?

Congrats on the deal offer! This type of library is generally highly selective! :D

:D Casey

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Music LIbrary Offer

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:24 am

Looks a pretty standard exclusive deal to me. If you turn it down then what else would you do with the track that you think might be better, and how long would that take? As Casey says, if you're comfortable about working with this library and their ability to get placements for the track then I'd say take the offer and write more.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.