Music Library or Publisher?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Music Library or Publisher?

Post by guest4254 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:41 pm

So what do you think would be a better bet? Signing a 3 year exclusive deal with a Publishing Co., or a Music Library? Now that's assuming the Music Library will be taking the publishing cut from any song placements, as would the Publisher.Either way, what would the advantage be?H

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Music Library or Publisher?

Post by sgs4u » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:57 pm

Well if it's a placement, it doesn't matter to me which. The more high-profile the comany, the more attractive it might look. But that doesn't mean the more attractive company is going to offer better service, or opportunities. If I had a chance to sign the same track to both a publisher and a library, I think I gladly would. I think you're basing your question on one being better, or more pro-active than the other. They're both in business to make money. If they can't get placements, the company folds, or gets sold... I look at each of the company's track records, and decide if one company was more in line with my vision of things COULD go, for that song. Then, I'd be more interested in the HUMAN I was communicating with, MORE that the company's track record. But that's just me, and I sure as hell don't have enough experience to say how it ought to go for you. You could base your decision on who's website had your favorite colors. Do the research, and go with your gut. And if you're wrong it won't matter 'cause you're still writing and submitting and finding more opportunities, right? Jul 5, 2008, 7:41pm, guest4254 wrote:So what do you think would be a better bet? Signing a 3 year exclusive deal with a Publishing Co., or a Music Library? Now that's assuming the Music Library will be taking the publishing cut from any song placements, as would the Publisher.Either way, what would the advantage be?H

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:42 pm

Steve's right. Go with the colors. That's how I choose. Everything he said.....they're all in it for the profit so they're both gonna be shopping it if they're willing to sign you. I try to check them out as much as possible, find out how they're doing in terms of placements, that kinda thing. It helps make up my mind and reassure me I'm making a good decision. Good luck!

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:46 pm

what I do, and this is purely subjective, I try to haggle some point, like a stupid one, and see how well the guy hustles me out of it, whoever has the hustle has my biz, allthough sometimes they go thenice route and break you off a favor too, as a sign of good faith, it is rare but it happens, so I dunno, I basicly just really watch h ow they negotiate, you can tell a lot about someone form that, and if they are effective, you know, they are kind of like your front line, you want someone you can be like, SICK EM, with.
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:11 am

One library I spoke to mentioned that if they include your music on one of their CDs, they get the publishing in perpetuity, which makes sense if you think about it. They put out a CD or hard drive of music and once they sell it, they can't recall it some years later when someone's exclusive deal expires.I have limited experience with publishers but the ones I've dealt with typically have a reversion clause in case the song doesn't make a certain amount of money over a certain period of time. Since the publisher probably won't be releasing a "library" CD, they will usually have one of these reversion clauses in their contract.Big generalizations, I know, but something to think about when considering signing with a library or a publisher.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:22 pm

I'm also hearing good and bad things regarding having the same songs with different libraries/publishers (non-exclusive deals, of course). I have a group of songs signed with a publisher, and the same songs with a library, then got some interest with some of those same songs with a 3rd party (library). I was going to pass, until I saw that the contract stipulated that I'd be able to keep the publishing for those songs. I don't know how rare that is, or isn't, but the idea of keeping the publishing really attracted me, so I went ahead and signed those songs with that library as well. (We're talking 19 songs with the first 2 contracts, and 13 of those songs with the latter) Do you think I did the right thing, or am I screwing myself.Har

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:33 pm

The issue I've heard about having a number of songs with a number of different publishers and libraries is if some of them pitch the same song (probably with different names) to the same project. The music supervisor may get suspicious and pass on the song. They might figure that it's not worth the hassle to find out who really owns the song. I think there's even a quote somewhere from a supervisor stating their concerns about this.I've made it my policy not to duplicate for this very reason.Good luck!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:07 pm

I suppose my thinking is that with all the non-exclusive deals going on, music supervisors may see this happening more often and hopefully, if they understand the system, won't be as "afraid" to go ahead and use the song from one of the libraries.Seems like a crapshoot either way...should be interesting to see how this plays out...Har

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:19 pm

From the music supervisor's point of view, I'd think having two libraries forward/recommend the same piece would strengthen the song's argument, so to speak. Couldn't (s)he then play one library off against the other for a better deal?
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:17 pm

I suppose that's possible too. In my case, some of the Libraries specialize in different placements. One's strength is movies/TV, while another specializes in videographers/photographers, and the third would be more apt to find uses in a corporate setting...Hopefully, one won't cross the other out...