Music Pirate Mom deserves new trial

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Music Pirate Mom deserves new trial

Post by hummingbird » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:01 pm

Jul 11, 2009, 1:06pm, sgs4u wrote:We need a world celebrating the sharing of music, NOT trying to hoard it or suck all the money they possibly can. I'm all for that. As long as my rent, food, transportation, instruments, education & training is also free. Then I can just give free voice lessons inbetween free coffee in my free house, have free medical & dental care, and never pay taxes again.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by allends » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:29 am

Brian, I want to congratulate you on the size of your big heart! Your attitude about this issue is so admirable I find myself agreeing with you 100%. But turn the page and there’s a whole other 100% of the story, and that side of the story involves lawyers. Lawyers argue these cases and lawyers win or lose them. If the penalty appears to be disproportionate to the crime, it was lawyers who put the accused in this situation. This case was brought to this nasty conclusion because of legal maneuvering by professional people with attitudes. A case that drags on & on like this one is bound to become battleground of ill-wills rather than become a process through which justice will be served. BTW: I can’t agree with those who characterize the defendant as “stupid”. Her lawyers crafted her defense so there’s no telling what her motivations were by merely looking at the case from a distance. I admit that I haven’t paid much attention to this case because I’m too jaded to believe that I will learn anything truly meaningful by reading about it. Done Rambling,AllenJul 15, 2009, 5:15pm, fusilierb wrote:I told myself I was gonna stay out of this one, but...I never disputed the fact that she broke the law or that she shouldn't pay some sort of penalty. Everyone of us wants to compensated for what we do and none of us wants our intellectual property stolen. What shocks me about this case is the SIZE of the penalty and the unbelievable amount of time and energy and money spent dealing with this case in the courts over five years. These proceedings are a joke.If we're really just trying to make an example out of he so that we can "teach" our young a lesson about stealing, maybe we should just publicly execute her? Better yet, force her children to watch. Burn the witch! That ought to teach everyone a good lesson.

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:03 am

Jul 16, 2009, 1:29pm, allends wrote:Brian, I want to congratulate you on the size of your big heart! Your attitude about this issue is so admirable I find myself agreeing with you 100%. But turn the page and there’s a whole other 100% of the story, and that side of the story involves lawyers. Lawyers argue these cases and lawyers win or lose them. If the penalty appears to be disproportionate to the crime, it was lawyers who put the accused in this situation. This case was brought to this nasty conclusion because of legal maneuvering by professional people with attitudes. A case that drags on & on like this one is bound to become battleground of ill-wills rather than become a process through which justice will be served. BTW: I can’t agree with those who characterize the defendant as “stupid”. Her lawyers crafted her defense so there’s no telling what her motivations were by merely looking at the case from a distance. I admit that I haven’t paid much attention to this case because I’m too jaded to believe that I will learn anything truly meaningful by reading about it. Done Rambling,AllenJul 15, 2009, 5:15pm, fusilierb wrote:I told myself I was gonna stay out of this one, but...I never disputed the fact that she broke the law or that she shouldn't pay some sort of penalty. Everyone of us wants to compensated for what we do and none of us wants our intellectual property stolen. What shocks me about this case is the SIZE of the penalty and the unbelievable amount of time and energy and money spent dealing with this case in the courts over five years. These proceedings are a joke.If we're really just trying to make an example out of he so that we can "teach" our young a lesson about stealing, maybe we should just publicly execute her? Better yet, force her children to watch. Burn the witch! That ought to teach everyone a good lesson.Allen, I'm glad you brought this up. I was going to go into my lawyer rant, but decided to drop it. But I completely agree! There has been lots of judgement about this ladies sanity or mental capabilities thrown around in response to this thread, but the fact of the matter is that it was her lawyers that, in doing their job, have driven this ladies actions. How in the world is she supposed to know what to do in this situation? As many of you have pointed out, she's just an "idiot" right? She's doing what everyone else does when faced with a criminal charge, hires a lawyer who tells her what to do. I would have done the same in her situation. And if they told me not to settle and push on, I wouldn't have settled and would have pushed on. Why not, its been five years now and we're just going BACK to trial?Again, does this really seem like the best approach to solving this problem? If there are any lawyers on these boards, I'm not knocking you down. I have lots of good lawyer friends and in todays whacked out system of justice, we need em. But this is crazy!B