Music publicist specializing in social media

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hikemusic

Music publicist specializing in social media

Post by hikemusic » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Can someone please recommend a music publicist with really good social media skills? I need help with branding, expanding my fan base, effective use of social media, etc. Thank you.

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Music publicist specializing in social media

Post by mikeymike2000 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:51 pm

I don't have the answer to your question but this is only going to be useful if you are a person or band who actively and regularly performs live.

Assuming that you are, my suggestion would be to do it all yourself (at least at first) and see what you can build up on your own first. It is free and fairly easy. You just have to be careful not to only post when you have something to sell. The key to this is the be engaging to your fans.

I know a very successful up-and-coming artist who does all this on her own and she does it really really well by getting fans to engage, inviting them to pull out there cell phones and video the gigs to post on their wall, does regular updates but not just the "buy my new CD" ones. She posts about her life and journey too.

You can easily give someone money for this but then it will not be genuine so most likely will end up being a situation where that money could have been better used.

Social media has the power to connect the artist DIRECTLY with their fans. Something that was never possible 10 years ago. I would strongly urge that you not put a 3rd party in between you and your fans.

Hope that is helpful.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:55 pm

I highly recommend Ariel Hyatt's books and blogs on the topic, I've seen her speak at the Rally & SAC events, she impressed me with her up to date knowledge of social media and her strategies for success - her book 'Music Success in 9 Weeks' is a good place to start for do-it-yourself.
http://cyberpr.com/
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

hikemusic

Post by hikemusic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:05 am

Thank you so much for your advice! The idea is not to substitute for a direct connection with my fans. The idea is to get help with basic things like branding and which songs should be offered as freebies for promotional purposes vs. which songs should I charge for downloading, etc. I can answer the question "who are your musical influences," but those influences are so eclectic I can't answer the question "Who do you sound like" for marketing purposes. I'm not gigging very often because the venue owners in this a.rea mostly want classic rock cover bands and I tend to write contemporary country like The Band Perry, Kacey Musgraves, etc. -- laced with everything from Sheryl Crow to Journey to Keith Urban. I'm also trying to start a band because solo artists doing originals have a hard time in this area for the same reasons. I get lots of positive feedback on reverbnation and facebook, but those fans mostly aren't in my area. I also get a great response at songwriter showcases (not just from the other songwriters). So I've been hitting a brick wall for years. Not in a position to relocate to a major music center unfortunately.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:14 pm

You have to engage in social media yourself. Why would you hire someone to impersonate you?

If you are not really into social media, do not work with most of it. All you really need is one form of media to use to engage your fan base. I see musicians spread themselves far too thin by trying to reach everyone on every social media platform. Just choose one and use it constantly. If you are engaging, people will flock to you.

Stop chasing fans. Fans want to chase you. But you have to be worthy of chasing.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:19 am

Where's Coachdebra? That seems to be her area of expertise. :D

http://artists-edge.com/create-fanbase-class/
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music