Musical Guilty Pleasures!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Musical Guilty Pleasures!

Post by ernstinen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:09 pm

C'mon --- 'Fess up! Who are your musical guilty pleasures!? Artists/bands that you don't want to admit you like for some reason? Kenny G? Michael Bolton? Britney Spears?I thought of this today because I wanted to pick my spirits up, and put on the poppiest orchestral music I had: Leroy Anderson. You know, "Bugler's Holiday" --- "Fiddle-Faddle" --- "The Typewriter" etc. Great schmaltz!Other nominees:Hard Rock: AC/DC (Let There Be Rock)Pop: The Bee Gees (I Started A Joke)Punk/Rock: The MC 5 (Kick Out The Jams)Crooners: Bing Crosby (Gay Love)60's: Lou Christie (Lightning Strikes)British Invasion: Freddie and the Dreamers (I'm Telling You Now)Death Metal: Morbid Angel ('nuff said)How embarrassing! What sayest youse guys?Ern

og
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Musical Guilty Pleasures!

Post by og » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:45 pm

I may be flayed for this--Barry Manilow.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:06 pm

Quote: I may be flayed for this--Barry Manilow. Oh no --- not Manilow! I gotta admit I like some of Neil Diamond's stuff. Ern

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:22 pm

A friend of mine and I somehow got on the subject of Tom Jones, and I mentioned I had bought the She's a Lady and Puppet Man 45s when I was a kid. This got me intreged and I started listening to some of the old pop from my day (early '70s)...Timothy by The Buoys, Toast and Marmalade for Tea by Tin Tin, Burning Bridges by the Michael Curb Congregation,...You and Me and a Dog Named Boo, Chickaboom, Indian Reservation. My mind is going. There is no question about it....

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:24 pm

Yup, I forgot Tom Jones. What pipes! He still sings great ---Ern

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:27 pm

Quote:Yup, I forgot Tom Jones. What pipes! He still sings great ---Ern He does, but my friend said this about "She's a Lady":"That song was not sung - it was INFLICTED"

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:29 pm

Quote:Crooners: Bing Crosby (Gay Love)I love Bing...I own all the Road Movies on VHS and DVD! Love Dottie and Bob Hope too - at one time I could sing all the songs from Road To Morocco by heart...

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:49 pm

Ooh --- Oooh --- "Brick House" by the CommodoresUsed in a T.V. ad now, but it's still a great dance song.Ern

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:53 pm

Four Seasons - Opus 17Buckinghams - Kind of a DrapAnimals - Don't Let Me Be MisunderstoodDonovan - Mellow YellowManfred Mann - Quinn the EskimoBee Gees - Nights on BroadwaySanford Townsend Band - Smoke From a Distant FireGrass Roots - Temptation EyesPhish - Gin & JuiceTemptations - Poppa Was a Rolling StoneElvis - All Shook UpHollies - Crimson and CloverBobby Bloom - Montego BayHoyt Axton - Boney Fingers It has been pointed out many times about how lame I can be so don't waste your breath.
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:59 pm

Quote:Four Seasons - Opus 17Buckinghams - Kind of a DrapAnimals - Don't Let Me Be MisunderstoodDonovan - Mellow YellowManfred Mann - Quinn the EskimoBee Gees - Nights on BroadwaySanford Townsend Band - Smoke From a Distant FireGrass Roots - Temptation EyesPhish - Gin & JuiceTemptations - Poppa Was a Rolling StoneElvis - All Shook UpHollies - Crimson and CloverBobby Bloom - Montego BayHoyt Axton - Boney Fingers It has been pointed out many times about how lame I can be so don't waste your breath. Crimson and Clover was Tommy James and The Shondells... Get your musicall guilty pleasures straight!!!!One of mine, besides the Monkees and Melanie (yes, Melanie) is "Walk Away Renee" buy the Left Banke... I also love listening to "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher. Casey