Musicians Duet Better

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Musicians Duet Better

Post by drew » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:05 am

"... whatever your standing in life, the most important thing is behaving in ways that help other people. It's the same with music. I am a servant of the music ... and if I get caught up in ego, I'll lose everything .. it'll burn and that's a guarantee ..." - Eric Clapton / Yardbirds / Cream / Blind Faith / Derek and the Dominoes
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Musicians Duet Better

Post by mani » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:31 pm

Hey Drew....er Ringo!Did you hear that Cream are gonna play some gigs next year? I don't know if they're playing Stateside but if they do I'm going for sure! Thay've got to be the only 60's outfit that has all the original members still alive.Like the quote btw.

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:47 pm

Good news on Cream, I have not heard about that. I would like to see that one myself. Was Clapton going to join up with them for the gigs?

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:19 pm

Yes. It's Clapton, Baker and Bruce just the way it was back in the day!! I don't know if there'll be any supplementary musicians. I hope not. With any luck Clapton'll dirty up his guitar sound a bit. He's just too smoothe sounding for my liking these days.By the way, the gigs are not next year. They're this year! I keep forgetting it's 2005. Doh!

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:09 pm

Cream is only playing 4 shows in England, unfortunately! They're going to perform at the Royal Albert Hall in May.Clapton's guitar lick at the end of his live solo on "Crossroads" is one of the greatest ever. I still can't figure it out! Old Slowhand --- Ern

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:42 pm

Another interesting quote:"... by far the most astonishing guitar player ever has got to be Django Reinhardt ... Django was quite superhuman, There's nothing normal about him as a person or a player ... and you can't forget Gene Vincent's guitarist Cliff Gallup ... he was my guiding light through my teenage years ... if you want to take a broader view, I think country guitarist Albert Lee is a gas ... there's also Paul Burlison, who played with Johnny Burnette ... people don't think of Les Paul as a rocker, but as far as I'm concerned he laid down the building blocks of rock and roll .. from a jazz perspective there's Charlie Christian, Thumbs Carlyle, Grant Green - they're all fabulous players... you can't forget Buddy Guy, I once saw him throw the guitar up in the air and catch it in the same chord ... Eddie Van Halen brought tapping to the forefront and I still think he was one of the tastiest players doing it ... George Harrisons got great intonation ... Eric Clapton is certainly the ambassador ... he's the guy everybody makes reference to, He's the household name for electric guitar, blues and rock and roll ... Erics got so much to offer, in addition to playing so well, he gives the world songs they can identify with ... " - Jeff Beck

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:50 pm

Jesus,Only 4 shows? I'd nearly go home just to see them. Can't say I'm a fan of much that Clapton did after Cream with the odd exception. Despite his brilliance at that time he was very much the lesser talent in the band IMO yet funnily he remained the most visible after they split up! Jack and Ginger just disappeared off the radar entirely!

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:20 am

"...The movie "The Girl Can't Help It" (1956) completely did me in, particularly seeing Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps who looked really dangerous. it started me wanting my own guitar ...another motivating factor was the collapse of rock and roll in 1959. Elvis was drafted, Buddy Holly was dead and there was no real danger anymore. Overnight everybody was named Johnny This or Johnny That, and they were all singing this terrible V-neck sweater music. So it was like, "What are you bastards doing with my music? I'm not going to have that taken away!" So I think we decided we just wanted to take it back..."- Jeff Beck

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:20 pm

"... I always use the Jeff Beck model. Jeff Beck is just a genius, and he keeps getting better ... If there's anybody in your field you want to aspire to be like, it is a guy who does what he wants to do. Every record at least he comes out with one thing that makes everybodys' jaw drop ... I would hope that Jimi Hendrix would have done that, although, man, the odds are against him because he did so much in such a short amount of time ..." - Joe (Sach) Satriani

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:12 pm

"... my daughter McKenna thought I sang with the Everly Brothers ... I said, 'no I was one of the Righteous Brothers' and she said 'didn't they invent the airplane?'" - Bill Medley