My first submission!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

enterthechrispy

My first submission!

Post by enterthechrispy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:21 pm

My first ever taxi submission, and I feel like I was a little too hasty but nonetheless im excited to be finally a part of taxi. I was wondering what are your guys' thoughts on my piece? I submitted under the instrumental listing for HOPEFUL, PIANO-BASED INSTRUMENTAL CUES. Did I fit it stylistically? Any and all criticism is welcome!

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=ht ... "></iframe>

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: My first submission!

Post by ttully » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi enterthechrispy,

Could you post the entire listing....so we can hear the examples..

Thanks!
Tim

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:01 pm

Very happy sounding cue, would love to see the full listing to see what they are asking for. Good music.

Not having the listing info, the first thing that jumps out is that the piano sounds muddy or muffled, not crisp and clear. It could also use some subtle edit points, a place at the end of a phrase where an editor can clip it and say "this is a nice ending spot." Also, the track is 59 seconds long, which is quite short. Normally listings specify the length and it usually starts at a minimum of 90 seconds.

I also offer this advice, based on personal experience. Do NOT rush listings. :) I wasted a lot of time (and money) my first year as a member trying to crank out cues that I thought would meet the need but ended up getting justifiably returned. It is better to make sure you are confident that your song is right for the listing, aim high! Otherwise you might continue submitting music that you know deep down inside is not ready and then develop a jaded attitude toward the process. Patience is a must! :)

Good luck!

Pauiie
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

enterthechrispy

Post by enterthechrispy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:26 pm

Hey guys, sorry for not posting the listing! I'm new to the forum and its etiquette and I'll remember that from now on! Here's the listing as follows, and definitely thanks for the replies so far!

HOPEFUL, PIANO-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed no later than THURSDAY by an A-List Music Publisher/Music Licensing Company with a long history of placements in Film, TV, and Commercials. They’re on the hunt for Mid-Tempo Instrumental Cues that are in the general stylistic range of the references they provided to us below:

The Dream Gap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_xU7VbF09I

Financial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVxCvEgJCk

Please submit well-composed Piano-based Instrumental Cues that convey a hopeful and optimistic vibe, feel, and mood. Your Cues should have an arpeggiated style, with light Orchestral Instrumentation layered as it progresses to build to a nice developmental arc. Instrumentation for this pitch could include Strings, Bells, Cello, and Drums. You’d be smart to avoid submitting anything that’s overly busy for this pitch, as it could distract from a TV Commercial's dialogue.

TAXI Tip: Think of the type of music that could work well for many kinds of happy, lighthearted, storytelling-type moods in commercials.

All Instrumentals must be 1:00 in length with Non-Faded, Buttoned/ Stinger endings. We think you'd be even smarter to make sure your Cues end at 59.5 seconds, including instrument ring outs and reverb tails! Please do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for instrumentation, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast quality is needed.

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 deal. You’ll split any applicable sync fees 50/50. You’ll get 100% of the Master rights and Writer’s share, and the Catalog will get 100% of the Publishing for any placements they generate. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you like online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis by a TAXI screener handpicked by the Publisher – Short critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Thursday, January 3rd, 2019. TAXI #Y190103PN

enterthechrispy

Post by enterthechrispy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:30 pm

Paulie wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:01 pm
Very happy sounding cue, would love to see the full listing to see what they are asking for. Good music.

Not having the listing info, the first thing that jumps out is that the piano sounds muddy or muffled, not crisp and clear. It could also use some subtle edit points, a place at the end of a phrase where an editor can clip it and say "this is a nice ending spot." Also, the track is 59 seconds long, which is quite short. Normally listings specify the length and it usually starts at a minimum of 90 seconds.

I also offer this advice, based on personal experience. Do NOT rush listings. :) I wasted a lot of time (and money) my first year as a member trying to crank out cues that I thought would meet the need but ended up getting justifiably returned. It is better to make sure you are confident that your song is right for the listing, aim high! Otherwise you might continue submitting music that you know deep down inside is not ready and then develop a jaded attitude toward the process. Patience is a must! :)

Good luck!

Pauiie
I posted the listing! Wow i just realized I could quote.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi enterthechrispy,

I agree with Paulie...the piano sounds a bit muffled.
It's a nice track though..... and I see they do want 1 minute so you got that right.... that tells you it's probably for some type of commercial.
Your track is not quite as cherry as the examples.... but it does sound hopeful....

A/B yours with the examples and make sure the sound quality is the same.

One more thing..... give a real title!!!!! that will help you!

My 2 1/2 cents worth,
Tim

nicotina
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nicotina » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm

I think the composition is right for the listing (even in 3/4 like the examples). I would just work on the sound. Both the piano and strings sound a bit midi to me. Sometimes you can get them to sound better by playing it through some speakers and recording it with a microphone. It's a wierd trick but I find that it helps add some "room" to the midi-sounds.

Very good for your first submission. I wouldn't want to play my first for anyone...

Vince

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:55 pm

Paulie wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:01 pm
Not having the listing info, the first thing that jumps out is that the piano sounds muddy or muffled, not crisp and clear.

It is better to make sure you are confident that your song is right for the listing, aim high! Otherwise you might continue submitting music that you know deep down inside is not ready and then develop a jaded attitude toward the process. Patience is a must! :)

Good luck!

Pauiie
I agree.. the piano is muffled and probably just needs some eq. Other than that, I think you nailed the listing as far as the writing...

However, I agree even more with Paulie's comment that if you know deep down a piece is not right for a listing and you submit anyway, that's a good way to become jaded. Because usually the ones we have doubts about, are the ones the screeners will return to us.

Good luck,

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

pianodanno

Post by pianodanno » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:12 pm

Lovely!