My first time making an indie dance song

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mikhail

My first time making an indie dance song

Post by mikhail » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:45 pm

Felt inspired to step out of my usual genres and try something for listing # S240211JF. Would welcome any feedback, I noticed the references didn't have traditional song vocals (like a typical verse, etc) so I used more choppy vox. Also went a little experimental but still focused on something that is commercially viable, if that makes sense (like I assume they don't want something so far out of left field it's not marketable).

https://soundcloud.com/prodbymikhail/ge ... al_sharing

Full brief-

A Bunch of EDGY INDIE ELECTRONIC/DANCE SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a top-notch Music Licensing Company that TAXI members love!

This well-liked company is searching for Up-Tempo Songs in the general wheelhouse of the following references we got directly from the company:

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6W71KU9NDI]"Attitude" by Lewis Ofman

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz8SVmCWhqs]"Keep Moving" by Jungle

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeHFGDb912A]"Raingurl" by Yaeji

Quoting the Library: "We need edgy Indie Electronic/Dance tracks to release exclusively via our in-house, sync-focused label. Think vibey, sleek, fun. Music that puts you in a trance while dancing at an upscale, cool nightclub. Catchy melodies, grooving beats, and a fusion of live instruments and electronic production. We encourage you to push boundaries and incorporate unconventional/experimental musical elements to create fresh and innovative sounds, but keeping it musical at the same time. Should appeal to Gen-Z audiences! Songs submitted to this brief should capture the experimental sensibility found in the below reference tracks, fusing indie dance elements to create distinctive sounds. They should enhance brand messaging and create memorable moments in media usage."

Please submit Indie Electronic/Dance Songs with catchy melodies, grooving rhythms, vibey choruses, and well-crafted lyrics are all needed for this request. Instrumentation that blends Indie with Electronic/Dance elements and is in the general wheelhouse of the reference Songs will work best. Please make sure that any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and not dated-sounding. Your vocal performances should be cool, captivating, and well-performed.

Lyrics should ideally avoid references to specific names, dates, times, brands, and profanity to make them more "syncable." Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

IMPORTANT: Fully Cleared sample libraries are okay to use, but any samples or loops you include in your pieces should be altered enough that they don't sound anything like the originals. A good test is to Shazam one of your tracks and see if another artist's song comes up. If it does, this company can't sign it!

Your Submissions can NOT be encumbered by ANY other publishing, licensing, administration, and/or exploitation deals (whether non-exclusive or exclusive) including publishing/licensing agreements with CD Baby, TuneCore, etc.

This Company offers both EXCLUSIVE and NON-EXCLUSIVE deals. If you’re inclined to do an Exclusive deal, please don’t submit material that’s already signed with any other libraries or publishers. You'll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. You must own or control your Masters and Compositions to submit to this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Sunday, February 11th, 2024. TAXI # S240211JF

BrentWhiten
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: My first time making an indie dance song

Post by BrentWhiten » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:27 am

NIce work!
I like the vocal stuff

Also I think the mix is very clean.

Brent Whiten
Thanks!
Brent Whiten

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:39 am

It sounds good, but it's not a "song" with " well crafted lyrics "

This is more like an instrumental where it's common to use vocal chops, so I think it would be returned for that reason.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:09 am

I also think it sounds good. My concern would be that there's a lot of repeating sections where the sound doesn't change at all, i.e. there's little development and by 52s nothing new happens. My opinion is that adding a few subtle sprinkles of additional percussion, ear candy, or variations of layering, would help a lot to keep listeners interested as the track progresses and would also offer screen editors more to work with.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

mikhail

Post by mikhail » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:01 pm

Thank you all! This is very helpful, I shortened some of the sections and added more layers/variation.