My First Year of Taxi - A Review

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

relliker

Re: My First Year of Taxi - A Review

Post by relliker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:07 am

Hi Steve,

Nice way to think of Taxi fees as an investment! This is my 6th year of membership and I didn't submit anything for the first 5.5 years! I still think it was money well spent because Taxi is unique, very well organised, invests in private A&R screeners, is trusted by the industry and is there for anyone in the world to take advantage of (the opportunities) and benefit from. The past 6 months I've only had returns but I think about my returns as special lottery tickets where the chances of winning increase in time by how much effort I put in them so I know I can turn the odds in my favour one day!

Kevin (aka relliker)

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 am

Hi Kevin!

That's it! A return isn't a knock-back, its a step forward!

Cheers,
Steve

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:35 am

I thought I'd keep this post going so people can see how a member can progress over the years.
I've just finished year 2 and I'm heading full speed into year 3. I didn't even have to think about renewing my membership, it was a no-brainer.
I've got approx 35 instrumental cues signed to 7 libraries (Ex. and Non-Ex.) and have had a placement on MTV's Catfish (still waiting for that first BMI statement).
The plan is to spend year three supplying these libraries and maybe taking on some others, and hopefully those placements will snowball.

Cheers,
Steve

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:22 am

SteveBaruah wrote:I thought I'd keep this post going so people can see how a member can progress over the years.
I've just finished year 2 and I'm heading full speed into year 3. I didn't even have to think about renewing my membership, it was a no-brainer.
I've got approx 35 instrumental cues signed to 7 libraries (Ex. and Non-Ex.) and have had a placement on MTV's Catfish (still waiting for that first BMI statement).
The plan is to spend year three supplying these libraries and maybe taking on some others, and hopefully those placements will snowball.

Cheers,
Steve
Great update...7 Libraries :shock: :shock: :shock: ..it was one in March...that's gong some !

Congrats

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:26 am

Yeah it's moving along nicely. Also, I just got a statement through from a library and I earned money from sync fees! So maybe some further placements and back-end in the pipeline as well.

teraannsitzmann
Active
Active

Post by teraannsitzmann » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:16 am

SteveBaruah wrote:Hello All,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this post, but it didn't seem to fit anywhere else.

I've just completed my first year of Taxi, and I thought it was a good point for reflection. I also hope this is useful for anyone thinking of joining Taxi. I am just a guy living in a valley in the Austrian Alps who loves to make music. I am in no way paid by Taxi to say anything.

So here's the stats.
Submissions: 148
Forwards: 15 (forward rate 10%, could rise to 17% with open submissions)
Awaiting response: 11
Returns: 122
Deals: 0
Money spend: $740 (submissions) + $299 (membership)= $1,039
Money earned: $0.

These stats might look a little grim, but I started this year with ZERO knowledge of what tv cues were. I started to learn music production about six months before I joined Taxi. I remember my first submission - I just muted the vocal on one of my rock songs and sent it in!! Since then I have learnt vast amounts about tv cues and song-crafting in general. I do not see the $1,039 as money lost, but money invested. My production skills have improved MASSIVELY over the last year, to a point when I can now say with reasonable confidence that I produce at broadcast quality.

Getting personal feedback on each of my productions from an industry professional is unbelievably valuable, however, it is up to us to decide how it is used. A lot of the time with feedback I think, 'Wow, yeah, I really see what they mean' and look to correct that error so it is not made again. This moves me one step closer to my goal every time. Yes, sometimes I do not agree with their feedback, sometimes it even contradicts feedback from another submission. My advice here is to just accept that the cue/song wasn't generally good enough and look to improve.

With regards to the costs, I suppose this hasn't been cheap, but try to get a critique from an 'industry professional' on the internet (where your not really sure who is providing the critique), it will cost you a lot more than $5! Also, this is my hobby, the thing I love to do! I have friends who will go and spend $5,000 on a bike, or a camera - because it is what they love to do. I classify the Taxi costs of this year as I would guitar or piano lessons. Money well invested.

Then there are the forums. Probably the thing that has helped me the most. If you are not already at the top of your game you HAVE to be posting your tracks here. People who are at the top of their game are taking the time to give back, and provide feedback for fellow members and it has improved my production skills quicker than anything else. But this is give and take. I try to provide my feedback (for what it is worth) as much as I take it from others.

$1,039 is a decent chunk of change, but this could be easily regained with just one good placement. The thing that keeps me going is knowing the only thing that stands between me and my goal of becoming a full time producer, is time. Whether this happens in 1, 5, 10 or 20 years, it will be worth it. Taxi isn't a guarantee of success. Alongside it being an awesome community, it is a way of gaining access to listings and rubbing shoulders with industry professionals. What we do with that access is up to us.

Cheers!
Steve

teraannsitzmann
Active
Active

Post by teraannsitzmann » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:19 am

Steve,
I am a new member as well. Thanks for your honest recount of the last year. That's a good number of forwards, I think.
Tera Sitzmann

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:27 am

Hi Tera,

Cool. That info is a year old now, but I did it for new members to have something to compare to, and show my successes along the way to show that it will pay off in the end.

Cheers.

teraannsitzmann
Active
Active

Post by teraannsitzmann » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:01 am

Got it. I listened to a couple of your songs. Wow. Your songwriting is great and your prodction skills are impressive. I plan to submit a total of ten times this year.

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:25 am

Thanks, Tera!
Yes, limiting your submissions or really understanding the listing is important. I have submitted for listings where my music really wasn't what they were looking for, so never had a chsnce, but I have learnt now to only submit when I have specifically what they are looking for.