My First Year with TAXI

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

My First Year with TAXI

Post by fuzzbox » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 am

My year with TAXI to date (2017-2018).

Well, it's has been just over a year since I began in earnest with TAXI. I started after my 2017 Rally visit. Although, I had been a member for a little while before learning the ropes for writing music for film and TV which was new to me at the time. I have watched many, many hours of TAXI TV Live, talked to some Forum members and ended up travelling to LA for the 2017 TAXI Road Rally. It was a fantastic time for me. Meeting like-minded people. I learned that I was on the right tracks and but learned so much more of what I needed to do and how to do it and I also learned what not to do, which I guess is just as important if you want to be taken seriously.

I would have loved to attended the 2018 Rally but unfortunately, I just didn’t have the funds.

In the 2017 Rally, I met Michael, Chuck, Matt Vander B and many other Forums members, albeit briefly. I was in the queue/line with Steve and Jason (I did emailed you Jason?) along with Graham (Telefunkin) and Ed. Who would have thought waiting for hours and hours for the Rally to open could be so much fun and informative.

One year on, I still feel that I'm still learning the ropes but I’m getting quicker and making better decisions and improving my workflow. What I have also learned, that being good or even very good isn’t …erm… good enough. This showed me that I have some way to go with the quality versus production versus speed triangle. This is the workflow I’m trying to streamline.

In the meantime, I have also had a few issues with my submissions, which were totally own fault. For example, not reading the brief correctly, hence submitting a cue instead of a song - Doh! :oops: Not getting a handle on the genre for the reference tracks, therefore submitting incorrect material - Doh! :oops: ... And... one being considered too close to the reference track! Doh!! :oops: :oops:

I have written around 20 + tracks (songs and cues) this year specifically for listings. I got one forward and got offered a contract. However, after taking advice, I didn't sign it. But I was encouraged that I got that far and another insight as to how the industry works.

Of course, I have also had rejections with some very encouraging feedback. So, I feel I’m still on the tracks. As for the other feedback… I agree with and some I disagree with others (after all we are at the mercy of the TAXI screeners, but that's the nature of the game). That said, the criticism has always been constructive and useful, so no complaints.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my second year to see if I can do better and build from my mistakes and advice from other Forum members.

Cheers All
ImageImage

All You Need Is Ears - Sir George Martin
The music is not in the notes, but in the silence betweenWolfgang Amadeus Mozart

lholton
Active
Active

Re: My First Year with TAXI

Post by lholton » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks for sharing. I'm still in my first year with a few forwards under my belt. Still slowly working my way through the rookie mistakes. Still looking for that 1st contract!!

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:12 am

Kev! So happy to read you over there!
I have no doubt you've been doing good this year, and the best is yet to come.
I'll be waiting for your mail/call whenever you're visiting.. can't wait to have a tiny mini Rally here :)
And it was my pleasure meeting you at the 2017 RR,

Hope to see you soon,
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:13 am

Kev! So happy to read you over there!
I have no doubt you've been doing good this year, and the best is yet to come.
I'll be waiting for your mail/call whenever you're visiting.. can't wait to have a tiny mini Rally here :)
And it was my pleasure meeting you at the 2017 RR,

Hope to see you soon,
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by fuzzbox » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:05 am

Hey Ed! :D
I'll be in town from 7th for a week. I will definitely email once I'm there and know what's happening. I'm looking forward to it too! :)
ImageImage

The music is not in the notes, but in the silence betweenWolfgang Amadeus Mozart

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Hey man, I remember meeting you at the 2017 Rally. Glad to know you're learning & progressing. So, I gotta ask you about this:

"I got one forward and got offered a contract. However, after taking advice, I didn't sign it. "

What was wrong with the contract? Taxi does a pretty good job vetting the companies that run listings with them, although occasionally a few duds slip through the cracks.... What type of deal were they offering, and what made it bad from your end?

~~Matt

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by fuzzbox » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:32 am

Hi Matt,
I will answer this in a few days as I'm on holiday without the details to hand.
I know that TAXI does some vetting as I have heard Michael say several times on the show.

Cheers
ImageImage

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:33 pm

Thanks for sharing your update! This business takes time, you seem to have the proper attitude and are having success already, so just keep on doing what you are doing!

Paulie
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by fuzzbox » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Yeah, you're right Paulie it takes time. ;)
Thanks again for your help in my early days! 8-)
ImageImage

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by fuzzbox » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:39 pm

Matt, I have sent you a PM

Cheers
ImageImage