My First Year with Taxi

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kyliecouper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

My First Year with Taxi

Post by kyliecouper » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:49 pm

I have recently finished my first year with taxi. I thought I would share some stats and some thoughts.

I made 109 submissions, with 60 returns and 49 forwards. I'm pretty happy with that forward rate, especially considering it's my first year.
But I am pretty disappointed that none of those forwards resulted in any contact from any libraries.
I know there are plenty of members with more forwards than that, and also no resulting deals, but it's still a bit deflating.

But on the positive side, I have learnt so much this year! I have learnt:
  • How to write to a brief
  • How to write to a deadline
  • What types of cues are in high demand
  • How to harden up in the face of rejection!
  • How to use the screeners' feedback to improve my music
I have also been able to build up a catalog of tracks that I never would have been able to do without working to taxi listings.
I managed to cold-contact 2 small libraries who accepted some of those tracks, so that was very exciting!

But the very best part of my first taxi year was most definitely the road rally! It was just so suprisingly great!
I read all the comments and reviews beforehand, and I had high hopes, but I was blown away by just how good it was.
I met so many amazing people! People who were noobs like me, people who were well on their way and people at the top of their game.
Everyone was so friendly, so welcoming and just so amazing! I am enormously grateful for the experience, but also to now have these new friends in my life.

So onwards and upwards to year 2!
If any of the more seasoned taxi members have some advice on how I can convert those forwards to signings, I am all ears!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: My First Year with Taxi

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:22 am

Congrats on your first year.

That sounds like a forward rate that's well up there so you must be doing something right. When you start getting into Libraries there's a good chance that these forwarded tracks will be suitable for them to add to their catalogue so it's good that you have been productive.

As for forwards Vs being contacted it seemed to land in the 20-30 forwards range for me but it really depends. ML said in one of the Taxi TV episodes that someone had a very large number of forwards ( I forget the exact number ) but it turned out they were mostly drones which are ten a penny. If you go to the Taxi blog where they post a list of the forwards you can see how many made it through for each Listing..so some there's like 10 to 20 but on a typical Drone listing there might be 50 or more.

I would say just keep doing what you're doing, keep on learning and stick with it. Maybe you can collab with someone you met at the Rally to get into a Library too as a co-writer.

Mark

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:23 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:22 am
Congrats on your first year.

That sounds like a forward rate that's well up there so you must be doing something right. When you start getting into Libraries there's a good chance that these forwarded tracks will be suitable for them to add to their catalogue so it's good that you have been productive.

As for forwards Vs being contacted it seemed to land in the 20-30 forwards range for me but it really depends. ML said in one of the Taxi TV episodes that someone had a very large number of forwards ( I forget the exact number ) but it turned out they were mostly drones which are ten a penny. If you go to the Taxi blog where they post a list of the forwards you can see how many made it through for each Listing..so some there's like 10 to 20 on average , but on a typical Drone listing there might be 50 or more.

I would say just keep doing what you're doing, keep on learning and stick with it. Maybe you can collab with someone you met at the Rally to get into a Library too as a co-writer.

Mark

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Thu May 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi Kylie,

To me it sounds like you had a great first year! Your forward % is admirable and you did one of the best things a Taxi member could do- Road Rally! I swear I learn something extremely beneficial every year I attend. 2019 will be my 5th.

Like Cosmic said a lot of this depends on what style of music you write and how much it is in demand, but remember your songs are sitting on hard drives all around the globe. Just because you haven't been contacted yet doesn't mean you won't.

And writing to briefs is a strong impetus to focus on what is in demand, as you've already discovered with your cold calls.

My only suggestion would be to listen to the other songs that were forwarded along with yours (forwards blog). And also the ones that were forwarded when yours weren't . You might gain some insight there
Best of luck to you and it sounds like you have a great attitude!
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Thu May 09, 2019 6:22 pm

Very Cool, Kylie.

Sounds like you are on the right track! Keep up the good work, the signings will come :)

Rock On
Russell Landwehr
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Thu May 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Kylie,
You are such an inspiration. I am so glad that I ended up standing next to you in line at the Rally. :)

Your work is certain to bear fruit soon.

See you in about 7 months. :)

kyliecouper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kyliecouper » Fri May 10, 2019 3:31 pm

johnnyrowing wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:09 pm
Kylie,
You are such an inspiration. I am so glad that I ended up standing next to you in line at the Rally. :)

Your work is certain to bear fruit soon.

See you in about 7 months. :)
Thanks Johnny!!! See you in 180 days! Can't wait!!!

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Fri May 10, 2019 9:15 pm

Awesome, Kylie! I've said it before and I'll say it again - you've got this! No doubt in my mind that if you stick with it success is inevitable. Excited to see what the next year brings for you! See you at the Rally I hope :D

russellnollen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by russellnollen » Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 am

Great news! Thanks for sharing! :)