My Garageband.com credentials ...

Yep. Drop your super cool ego and beg for fans!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

feloniuspunk
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

My Garageband.com credentials ...

Post by feloniuspunk » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:36 pm

Here's a link to my garageband.com podcast:http://www.garageband.com/artist/nickke ... letterFive separate songs voted as "Track of the Day". Not too shabby huh? (grinning from ear to ear)Anyone else on this board hitting it out of the park over at Garageband?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: My Garageband.com credentials ...

Post by Casey H » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:12 am

Quote:Here's a link to my garageband.com podcast:http://www.garageband.com/artist/nickke ... letterFive separate songs voted as "Track of the Day". Not too shabby huh? (grinning from ear to ear)Anyone else on this board hitting it out of the park over at Garageband?Hi Felonious First I want to say congrats on your successes at Garageband. Any good reviews and praise are good things! I've been fortunate to have been in Broadjam's top 10, receive great reviews on AcidPlanet, etc... It feels great. Unfortunately, success on Internet sites doesn't correlate much with success in the industry or the "real world". It's certainly better than not having it and can't hurt!! ... but I've learned only to take acceptance from a music supervisor, good publisher, or music library as meaningful. Please don't take this the wrong way... take pride and joy in it, but remember to peel yourself off the ceiling after a while... Been there... cAsEY

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:03 am

Enjoy it Nick!It's obvious you and your "Deps" have spent years perfecting your Art.Mick
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

feloniuspunk
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by feloniuspunk » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:55 am

Believe me, my head is far from being swelled. I know exactly what getting good reviews on sites like broadjam and garageband mean. I still have to pay full price for my coffee at Starbucks just like everybody else. But hey, since this is the "shamless self promotion" page I thought what the heck, post it. Maybe it'll spur some conversation about garageband or sites like broadjam. By the way I've been on again/off again on BJ's top 10 for three years now. You're right the real acceptance comes from the industry pros and the royalty checks. I know the difference. Here's my real resume.I'm still not satisfied. You never reach the end of the journey, all you do is stop to refuel from time to time; drink from the well of life.

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:55 am

Congrats on your successes over at GB, Nick! It's nice to get that positive stroke now and then.The music scene on the internet is crazy - when I signed up ONOFFON in the early days of GarageBand, back in April of 2000, they didn't even have a 'jazz' genre. It was ridiculous for us to be uploading our music into categories like rock and pop. People didn't even know how to take us... I fought for a year on the BBs over there to get them to finally add jazz. There was a nice undercurrent of people who supported its inclusion.Once they added it, we immediately charted the number one jazz tune on the site, 'Shadowglass'. But, even though it reached #1 in jazz, it only managed to peak at #95 on the overall site. I felt they have never really taken jazz seriously, not seeing the promotional viability as the more commercial genres, much the same as the music industry on the whole. We received great reviews from people who got our music but those that didn't - didn't.Yes, we had our handful of 'Track of the Days' also back in early 2001, but I just never felt anything was ever going to happen over there for our music and I stopped uploading tracks. We still have a page there, though I removed all but four songs and I'm not an active part of the community anymore. I do keep in touch with a few people on the BBs but that's about it.Continued good luck to you over there - hope you keep getting great reviews!Von

feloniuspunk
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by feloniuspunk » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:48 pm

I get the same feeling about jazz that you described. It's hard to get folks to take it seriously when it's such a small slice of the whole musical pie to begin with. Then the ones that do take it seriously are like fanatical crazy about it (Jazz Nazis I call them). But I make my own bed to sleep in and don't complain. My primary thrust is for Movie/TV placements anyway and that's as much a jungle as anywhere else. The whole "genre" classification system is silly to me. It's all just music, with different styles similar to something else, thus you get rock or metal or country or blues or jazz categories and so on. Some of the genres are so splintered (alternative modern folk/punk) it's like some of the orders people place for coffee at Starbucks. You don't want to get behind them in line or you're in for a real wait.Why are there no musical comedians? Jimmy Durante was my favorite. I guess Steve Allen (also a favorite) was the last one of note. There was Chevy Chase much later but to me he just used music as a stepping stone to comic mediocrity. Once he left music he left it for good.Thanks for the comments.

pogodog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pogodog » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:34 pm

Quote:I get the same feeling about jazz that you described. It's hard to get folks to take it seriously when it's such a small slice of the whole musical pie to begin with. Then the ones that do take it seriously are like fanatical crazy about it (Jazz Nazis I call them). But I make my own bed to sleep in and don't complain. My primary thrust is for Movie/TV placements anyway and that's as much a jungle as anywhere else. The whole "genre" classification system is silly to me. It's all just music, with different styles similar to something else, thus you get rock or metal or country or blues or jazz categories and so on. Some of the genres are so splintered (alternative modern folk/punk) it's like some of the orders people place for coffee at Starbucks. You don't want to get behind them in line or you're in for a real wait.Why are there no musical comedians? Jimmy Durante was my favorite. I guess Steve Allen (also a favorite) was the last one of note. There was Chevy Chase much later but to me he just used music as a stepping stone to comic mediocrity. Once he left music he left it for good.Thanks for the comments.Victor Borge was another great one. ...also, before i forget - again " Song for Suzie" deserves all the praise it receives. Gonna add it to my master playlist. Wish i could be more appreciative by adding some change to your pocket... But my girlfriend put a stop to my Internet spending. It took her 12 years but she finally figured out that i multiplied worse then i spelled. ( in more ways then one I bet you hate emoticons to. Cheers,RanG

feloniuspunk
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by feloniuspunk » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:26 am

Thanks for those kind words. If I had it to do over again I'd put some brushes in Song for Suzie. I had forgotten all about Victor (my old age no doubt) but he too was another great musical comedian. Those were the days. Entertainers treated audiences as if we had some intelligence.Actually you and I have quite a lot in common. We're Taurus. I'm 4/22/49. We both went to school and had English teachers. I'm pretty sure we both have a healthy dose of irreverence, which makes it difficult for others to take us sometimes.Again thanks for the words.

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:17 am

Quote:We're Taurus. I'm 4/22/49.Wow... I'm 4/21/55.Do you know that you share a birthday with Vladimir Lenin?

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:22 am

I was also born on April 21st.That's the weekend they do the ASCAP convention, which I hope to attend. If you're around Hollywood, let's get together for a celebration!!!