My Little slice of the forest

Tell us about your studio and post some photos no matter how modest or robust it is!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: My Little slice of the forest

Post by kclements » Thu May 26, 2016 10:18 am

I think it's worth mentioning that rooms don't need to be perfect. Or anywhere near that.

If you take a look at my room, I break several "rules" for music production:

- My monitors don't fire down the long side of the room.
- My monitors don't sit the "proper" distance from the back wall, and I don't have an equilateral triangle between my ears and the monitors
- I have huge windows behind my monitors and a closet door right behind where I sit - without any treatment
- I have a large piano that is in the way of my first reflections on one side
- I sit pretty much in the center of the space while mixing.
- I have some treatment, but not as much as some might recommend.

I'm sure there are more "rules" I break. My point is, I hear from people now and then complaining (or wondering) they are not being to get a usable cue because of their space. Or they don't have good monitors, or any treatment, or .....

It makes life easier to have things working in your room. But don't let that be an excuse to not do your very best work and get your music out into the world. With practice, you will learn what your room sounds like in your mix position. I know that my mix space tends to be bass heavy (common) and tends to be sparse in the mid frequency range. So I know that if my mixes sound a bit thin and nasal, and I think they could use just a bit more bass, they are about right. I double check with headphones and other systems to be sure.

I am always working to improve my mixes and room, but don't let it stop you from working because you don't think you have the "right" room or acoustics or gear.....

Cheers
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Thu May 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Beautiful
Has the look for a Refined Gentleman!
What year was the house built?
I don't see 10 inch Base Moulding all that often! (except for our Hollywood movie sets)
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Thu May 26, 2016 1:59 pm

cassmcentee wrote:Beautiful
Has the look for a Refined Gentleman!
What year was the house built?
I don't see 10 inch Base Moulding all that often! (except for our Hollywood movie sets)
The house was built in 1820. It's the oldest house in our township. The room that is my studio was added in 1920, but as you see Built to match.
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

TimWalter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TimWalter » Thu May 26, 2016 5:10 pm

Nice Kayle.. looks sophisticated...
Tim
Tim Wolf
Nashville

"Nashville-based Romantic Rebel singer-songwriter making alternative songs for those who need a second chance"

www.thetimwolf.com

Cwadroon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Cwadroon » Thu May 26, 2016 6:33 pm

kclements wrote:I think it's worth mentioning that rooms don't need to be perfect. Or anywhere near that.

- My monitors don't sit the "proper" distance from the back wall, and I don't have an equilateral triangle between my ears and the monitors
- I have huge windows behind my monitors and a closet door right behind where I sit - without any treatment

I'm sure there are more "rules" I break. My point is, I hear from people now and then complaining (or wondering) they are not being to get a usable cue because of their space. Or they don't have good monitors, or any treatment, or .....

It makes life easier to have things working in your room. But don't let that be an excuse to not do your very best work and get your music out into the world. With practice, you will learn what your room sounds like in your mix position. I know that my mix space tends to be bass heavy (common) and tends to be sparse in the mid frequency range. So I know that if my mixes sound a bit thin and nasal, and I think they could use just a bit more bass, they are about right. I double check with headphones and other systems to be sure.

I am always working to improve my mixes and room, but don't let it stop you from working because you don't think you have the "right" room or acoustics or gear.....

Cheers
Amen, everything does help, but to add to this..I was getting better mixes on my 300.00 monitors when I added 2000.00 monitors, because like you said, you learn your equipment and environment through constant usage. Awesome. Thanks for posting that.

robbiejhancock
Impressive
Impressive

Post by robbiejhancock » Thu May 26, 2016 10:01 pm

Nice piano! Your room is so clean! Cool set up :)
Robbie Hancock
https://robbiehancock.com
Sync or Swim Music
https://syncorswimmusic.com

CraigR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CraigR » Thu May 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Great space there. Is that a HermanMiller chair. my Aeron is the shnizzle!

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Sat May 28, 2016 4:43 am

What a beautiful space.

What you said about monitoring..

You guys seem to have the talent. Quality going in might be the most important factor.

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Sat May 28, 2016 11:46 am

This room looks WAY comfortable. NICE!
kclements wrote:I think it's worth mentioning that rooms don't need to be perfect. Or anywhere near that.

Cheers
+1 all that. sure it helps to have a "perfectly setup" room, but mine also has some BIG major no-no flaws... still makes music... still makes money.

Rock On, Kayle :D
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun May 29, 2016 6:31 am

Veery stylish and cinematic, Kayle.. I love the coffee colors! :D
Ceo of my own life