My monitors BLOW,curious about yours too!

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: My monitors BLOW,curious about yours too!

Post by silvercord » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:59 am

Ern..ahh how i miss Ypsi/Arbor!i Fenced in Ann Arbor...i miss the team so much (sigh)we would fence,.,..then drink! what is better than that!!!one of my fav concerts was Sarah Mclachlan at the um i forget the name of the concert hall, Pierce? darn..it was a great concert anyway...and yay..also got to see John Mclaughlin(SP?) (the jazz guitar player)Medeski Martin & Wood, Chet Atkins, Joey Difrancesco, DennisChambers...ahh so much good jazzwatch out for those pills others keep slippin you ERn!

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:48 am

I have fond memories of Western. The piano practice rooms, sneaking into the "good" pianos, dorm food, great acoustics in the Recital Hall, bad acoustics in the recording studio, great life and musical experience traveling and playing with Gold Company (a great vocal jazz group), marching in the Bronco Band for a year. Of the many concerts I saw in and around K-zoo: Tower of Power up close and personal in the 250 seat Recital Hall. LOUD. Michael W. Smith at the hockey arena... DC Talk opened when nobody knew who they were. A bunch of symphony concerts/Broadway shows in Miller Auditorium. TONs of "required" recitals and concerts for music major credit... I always enjoyed hearing them. Aaah, good times. No comment on some of the girls I dated.

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:18 am

ahh Stick...manditory recitals...wernt they great;)i mean hey at least you could get some decent sleep there!(or do your music history homework)(or dig yourself in a hole by sitting next to said girls dated;)

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:21 am

No, I was one of "those" people who really did enjoy them... I had WAY more than I needed what I graduated. In fact, my counselor was a little shocked when she saw how many I had... heh heh. Nerd.

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:24 am

ah ha~! so you were one of the good ones;)i was one of those space rocker hippie kids skipping out with theyoung hippie professors, bucking the systemahh the advantages of knowing the other side of the academicacoin;)

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:34 am

Quote:I have fond memories of Western. The piano practice rooms, sneaking into the "good" pianos, dorm food, great acoustics in the Recital Hall, bad acoustics in the recording studio, great life and musical experience traveling and playing with Gold Company (a great vocal jazz group), marching in the Bronco Band for a year. Of the many concerts I saw in and around K-zoo: Tower of Power up close and personal in the 250 seat Recital Hall. LOUD. Michael W. Smith at the hockey arena... DC Talk opened when nobody knew who they were. A bunch of symphony concerts/Broadway shows in Miller Auditorium. TONs of "required" recitals and concerts for music major credit... I always enjoyed hearing them. Aaah, good times. No comment on some of the girls I dated. Ah, the girls --- What a party school! And, lots of great musicians came out of Kalamzoo, it seems! --- Hey Stick, was Ramon Zupko still teaching composition when you were there? He wrote some cool stuff. Kind of a strange dude, though. He had this "mad scientist" electronic synth workshop down in the basement on East Campus, I believe, and had some OLD synthesizers --- I'm talking phone cables sticking out of huge patch bays! --- I was REALLY into Hendrix at the time, and turned on Zupko to some live stuff like "Purple Haze" recorded at Woodstock.Zupko listened for awhile, and in his German accent said "Ach, I can make dese soundz wit da synthesizer!" I said "Maybe, but it would take you a month to program it, and Hendrix is doing it in REAL TIME!" --- "Ach, just white noize, harrumph!" I told him to BLOW himself, er, check out BLOW monitors (to get back to the topic at hand ).Ern

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:39 am

Oh yes! I took acoustics from Zupko! Yeah, were you there before the new (at the time) Dalton Center? He had a huge modular synth in his studio in Dalton when I was there. Pretty cool... He was getting into Macs at the time, and I'd already been using them for a couple years... he was the slowest computer user I'd ever witnessed...no key commands ever. All point and click in the menus. His son was the "hot shot" piano student when I was there...

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:58 am

Quote:Oh yes! I took acoustics from Zupko! Yeah, were you there before the new (at the time) Dalton Center? Another irony here, Stick --- the ONLY class I flunked in my life was "Acoustics" taught by Zupko! That's because I stopped going because it was early in the morning, and partying was more important at the time. --- Oh, yes, and I forgot to drop it before the due date. Hmmm --- Since I'm as old as dirt, the Dalton Center was built after I left WMU. What's funny about that, though --- I've been in touch with Carl Doubleday for years, have sent him scores and recordings of some of my orchestral stuff, and when I started getting some recordings by the Bulgarian Philharmonic and the Czech Philharmonic, ol' Carl put all my stuff in the Music School "Alumni Hall of Fame" display case. --- After awhile, he emailed me and said "John, I've been looking into our alumni files trying to find when out when you graduated, and I can't figure out when that was."I emailed back and said "Carl, that's because I was a DROPOUT! I left school to play rock and roll. Couldn't stand those elitist snobby music students! HeHeh!"He about choked on his oat bran. Ern

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:02 am

WAH HA HA HA! I remember that case! I probably looked at your scores and thought... man, someday that'll be me!

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:26 am

I recently picked up a pair of JBL LSR4300. Read up on these babies, and when I saw them on EBay for $700 I snatched them right up. They come with a special "measurement microphone", that you set up right where your ears would be. The mic senses the surroundings in conjunction to your ears and calibrates the speakers for optimum sound...or you can set the eq for each speaker toward your own preference.Beautiful sound!Harry