My monitors BLOW,curious about yours too!

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

My monitors BLOW,curious about yours too!

Post by silvercord » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:23 pm

BLOW 5s, by Infrasonic, a subdivision of Sammick in KoreaFunny name eh? Sammick should have had a westerner advise with the naming of their products I got these puppies before any pro magizine, or online site hasreviewed them. They were not expensive since i bought themhere in Koreahere's the link for specs. http://www.infra-sonic.com/page/blow5.htmlAs they are my first monitors, I am not sure how they rate toothers of its class and size..but i dig them allot...the salesmantold me they were better for "classical" mixing,just curious to see if any of you have heard tell of them?and i invite y'all to tell me about your monitors, i would love toknow what you mix yur stuff on, as im a sucker for audio tech nerdyness!

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

Re: My monitors BLOW,curious about yours too!

Post by twilsbach » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:40 pm

I (finally) recently upgraded to a pair of Mackie HR824s Yeah Baby.Of course, they're not the new, even sexier mk2's but they sure sound a world apart from the tiny MAudio Studiophile DX4's I was using.We had a big monitor thread not too long ago, lots of good info here

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:15 pm

I've got multiple pairs of monitors I'm using. My mains for mixing are an old pair of Tannoy SBM Studio monitors (don't even think they make 'em anymore). Powerful suckers too! They pump brotha'! My monitors for normal listening of final CD's, mp3's, & other reference CD's, are a pair of Yamaha NS-6490's. And yet another smaller pair for final CD listening, I have some M-Audio Studiophile AV-40's. And as small as they are, my Gateway computer speakers pack quite a decent punch as well. I can leave my studio downstairs, go all the way up to the main floor, and still hear 'em kickin'. Sometimes I'll switch the M-audios to the mixer just see how the mix sounds using those, or hook up the Yamahas to the mixer to see how those sound. I'm always experimenting with things to see what I can come up with.

che
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by che » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:45 pm

We just got pair of Behringer Truth 2031A. Got them based on a referral from a good friend. We absolutely love them. Not sure we have them 100% correctly tuned, but they sound really really good. Once we do some more mixdowns etc... we'll be able to tell bit better.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:47 pm

Quote:I've got multiple pairs of monitors I'm using.Me too, Ibanez. I've got a pair of powered KRK V6s which I like pretty well, BUT when I really want a mix to translate to the outside world, I still go to my vintage Yamaha NS-10Ms powered by an old Marantz amp. The midrange is so accurate, but their claim that they go down to 50 hz or so is b.s. I turn on some customized 3-ways with 15" woofers to check the bottom end. The two together work really well for me. --- After I get the mix sounding pretty close, I turn on a pair of "home" audiophile Definitive Technology speakers and listen to those; my Sennheiser headphones; the car stereo; and my home system with Polk Monitor 40's (which are REAL nice for the $) with a subwoofer and 4 Bose cubes. Then I might play the mix through my Bose Wave bedroom "clock radio," which has LOTS of bottom end --- don't know how Dr. Bose does it. It does have an "AM radio" setting which rolls off some of the lows. If the bottom is too muddy, I'll go back to the studio and tweak some more. --- Whew! There, ya have all my secrets! Ern

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:06 pm

cool! Hey Ibanez are those Tannoys the red pair?If so my drummer uses the same pair (well..um..used i should sayhis wife threw them across the room and now they are reallycool paperweights! yeah Ibanez, Ern..its cool you guys can mix on multiple monitors..thats great! right now its just the Blow 5s and a pair of AKG 271sfor my stuff..but muhaha i wont even DARE to say what i mixedon before!

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:45 pm

geoff,No these aren't the red pair. These are all black. Like I said, these are an older pair. I'd like to show you pics, but I couldn't even find a good one on the net, they're so dated. But they still work fine! Ern, love those sound systems from Bose!

diogenes
Impressive
Impressive

Post by diogenes » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:23 pm

I use a pair of Yamaha NS-10M's and a pair of powered Behringer Truth B2031 (they're not bad for the money), normally I would shy away from Behringer though.

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Yeah, me too. Certain things they're O.K. for, but others....I dunno. I've lost alot of confidence in some of their products.I-468

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:09 am

Quote:I use a pair of Yamaha NS-10M'sYup, they are STILL the classic near-field monitor. Yamaha doesn't make them anymore because they can't find the old wood fiber that makes the woofers sound like they did. (Are the trees EXTINCT? LOL! ).If you want a used pair, they're about $600-700 on eBay. I think I paid about $350 for mine brand new back when I was, er, a teenager. BUT, if you want a brand new pair "In Sealed Factory BOX!," you can have them for only $1,599. http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-NS-10M-NS10- ... QcategoryZ 4And detractors of this monitor said "they sound like CRAP!" --- Others, including me believe "If you can make a mix sound good on NS-10M's, they'll sound good on ANYTHING!" I think that is the purpose of a good monitor. They SHOULDN'T sound "good" like home stereo speakers; they should be starkly, painfully accurate, and the NS-10M's ARE, down to about 80 Hz or so. Below that, you have no idea what's going on! Ern