My music in a tv ad

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sonicart

My music in a tv ad

Post by sonicart » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:09 am

I am in the process of placing some music with a client for use on their website. This music may then be used within their tv advertising campaigns. My understanding is that each time their advertisement is broadcast on tv I am due a royalty for the use of my music, and this royalty is payable by the TV channel broadcasting the advert. Am I right about this or have I got it all upside down?

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: My music in a tv ad

Post by guscave » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:34 am

Actually the TV channel will provide the info to your PRO (BMI, ASCAP) and they in turn send you payment. Congrats on the placement...:)

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:38 am

Basically, yes. But...you won't get paid unless the song is properly registered with your PRO and the commercial plays are being reported by the TV station it is aired on (or are caught by the PRO's sampling of said station).You should be contacting your PRO now to find out the ins and outs about how (and how much) they pay for music used in TV advertising.Congratulations and good luck!matto(edit) yes and obviously you'll get paid by the PRO, not the TV station(s) directly

sonicart

Post by sonicart » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:41 am

Thanks for the info guys. We've got the song registered with our PRO, as we're in Ireland we use IMRO who are an excellent organisation - you REALLY feel like they are doing all they can for you. I know I could be asking those guys the questions too, but I like the informal feedback from this board.Another question...if my music is placed within an online promotional game, do you think I am entitled to a royalty each time the game is played online?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:26 pm

Quote:Another question...if my music is placed within an online promotional game, do you think I am entitled to a royalty each time the game is played online? Unlikely...Most stuff on the internet is still not licensed and tracked, the exception being some of the music sites and internet radio stations. However the degree of new media readiness varies from PRO to PRO, so you're not gonna get a definitive answer from anybody other than IMRO.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:47 pm

How does it work on cable? I did the music for 4 local cable ads. The music is registered with ASCAP but I never got royalties. I tried calling ASCAP but they said I can't report the usage, they have to get a report from the station.Do you think smaller stations aren't strict about reporting? Or maybe cable has different rules? Or is it possible the producer didn't give me proper credit when he submitted the commercials?