My Neighbor's Back

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: My Neighbor's Back

Post by hummingbird » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:45 am

I was on another site where they were discussing Taxi, and someone suggested that Michael L ("if a real person") might be Canadian, and they seemed to imply that that was a not so good thing to be. I set them straight about Michael (and Taxi)... but I'm mystified as to the 'Canadian' reference
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:46 pm

Quote:BTW: If I remember it right, Ern posted something mean and Jimi left teeth marks on his arm. Let that be a lesson.Naw, that never happened! Now, in a different setting, if Jimi wanted to leave teeth marks on my arm --- What DID happen is the last time I brought up the struggle with my neighbor, Jimi said something like "Where I come from, that guy would get a good ass-whooping!" How's that for PC.BTW, I really am extremely offended that ANYONE, especially a newbie that knows nothing about me, would label me a bigot or racist. One of my best friends in college was from Qatar. My mom marched in Selma, Alabama. One of my heroes is Martin Luther King Jr. I've got gay friends, hispanic friends, black friends.Judge not lest ye be judged.Ern

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:11 pm

Quote: and yes, I do walk with a slight swagger as well.I could reccomend a good Chiropractor that might be able to cure it! J

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:39 pm

Quote:BTW, I really am extremely offended that ANYONE, especially a newbie that knows nothing about me, would label me a bigot or racist.Ern-If you're referring to me here, you've misread or misinterpreted my comments. I have tried to be clear and fair in my postings, and I'm sorry you've taken such offense to them.Again, I wish you and your family a speedy solution to your troublesome neighbor. Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:12 pm

Quote:And to everybody who hasn't been around these boards as long as Drew, ern, or myself...a friendly piece of advice: take it easy on the politics, unless you wanna incur the wrath of Jimi Seems like Jimi isn't the only one whose wrath might be incurred! This is obviously a pretty tight-knit group...maybe I should've waited until I reached 100 posts before I shared my opinion on such a "racy" subject.On the other hand, maybe this just wasn't the best thread to chime in on...Ern is obviously having a tough time, so I probably should've just kept quiet.I realize many of you have been contributing to these boards for a long time, and I mean no disrespect to any of you. I apologize if I have overstepped my bounds for someone who hasn't paid his dues yet.AndrePS - Is this a hazing? Kinda feels like it.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:33 am

My 2 cents...ErnI do not agree that referring to this crazy lunatic by his ethnic origin is appropriate at all. Crazy is crazy, regardless of where you come from. The fact that he was Iranian added nothing necessary to the story. I don't believe you said he was uttering racial, anti-religion, anti-ethnic, or anti-USA statements as he was acting this way.We all have biases and prejudices. Given the world situation, I am sure many of us do. But sometimes thoughts are better kept to yourself.y/fCasey

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:10 am

Quote:Is this a hazing? Kinda feels like it. Nah, it's much simpler than that Andre, if you criticize someone, no matter how flowery, you create a desire in them to defend themselves. When they do so it seems to you now that your comments where misunderstood so you defend yourself. You weren't attacking ern, though he felt you were, and no one was attacking you though you feel it is so. If Ern had gone on a tyrade against Iranians most of us would leave it to the moderators to correct him. Criticism is mostly, though not only, a newbie mistake. There are ways to make your point without challenging someone elses at the same time. It's more fun that way.Example: Ern, aren't you glad it's not a crazy Canadian living next door to you?
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:32 am

Quote:My 2 cents...ErnI do not agree that referring to this crazy lunatic by his ethnic origin is appropriate at all. Crazy is crazy, regardless of where you come from. The fact that he was Iranian added nothing necessary to the story. I don't believe you said he was uttering racial, anti-religion, anti-ethnic, or anti-USA statements as he was acting this way.We all have biases and prejudices. Given the world situation, I am sure many of us do. But sometimes thoughts are better kept to yourself.Thanks for that spanking, Dad. Should I keep THESE thoughts to myself!? Everytime he cusses me out, he screams about FAGGOTS, BITCHES, MOTHERF^ckERS, JEWS, COCKSUCKERS, BASTARDS, you name it. He's cussed out my wife, my mother, my sister, women in general. His two favorite slurs are "faggot" and "jew-lover."Do a Google on this culture and then tell me you think their treatment of women, gays, and Jews is all hunky dory. Do some research before you attack me for reacting as any man would to someone whom is trying to harm and intimidate his family.Ern

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:14 am

Quote:Quote:My 2 cents...ErnI do not agree that referring to this crazy lunatic by his ethnic origin is appropriate at all. Crazy is crazy, regardless of where you come from. The fact that he was Iranian added nothing necessary to the story. I don't believe you said he was uttering racial, anti-religion, anti-ethnic, or anti-USA statements as he was acting this way.We all have biases and prejudices. Given the world situation, I am sure many of us do. But sometimes thoughts are better kept to yourself.Thanks for that spanking, Dad. Should I keep THESE thoughts to myself!? Every time he cusses me out, he screams about FAGGOTS, BITCHES, MOTHERF^ckERS, JEWS, COCKSUCKERS, BASTARDS, you name it. He's cussed out my wife, my mother, my sister, women in general. His two favorite slurs are "faggot" and "jew-lover."Do a Google on this culture and then tell me you think their treatment of women, gays, and Jews is all hunky dory. Do some research before you attack me for reacting as any man would to someone whom is trying to harm and intimidate his family.Ern Ern, my friend I attacked you???? NO! I disagreed with you and that's not the same thing. Also, earlier in this thread I don't recall you mentioning that he was cursing out all those groups. If you read my post, you will see that the reason I said it was inappropriate was that it was not relevant to what happened- i.e. he wasn't uttering racial/ethnic slurs.So, one could argue that it is more relevant but I don't think the fact that he is crazy has anything to do with his being Iranian. If he was a black man, would you have said the same thing? Ern- we've been forum friends for quite a while. We can agree to disagree. Casey

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:50 am

Quote:There are ways to make your point without challenging someone elses at the same time. It's more fun that way.Example: Ern, aren't you glad it's not a crazy Canadian living next door to you? Good point, Drew - and very PC. I thought you didn't buy into that tripe? Seriously, though, what you're saying is true...it's human nature to take the defensive (as Ern and I have both done) when we perceive an attack, even if there is none present. Thanks for the important reminder.Andre