My submission was returned . . pls read

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jimmysgirl

My submission was returned . . pls read

Post by jimmysgirl » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:30 am

Hi, My submission to a recent Dispatch listing was returnd. I'm a little surprised as I thought the song would be great for what the listing called for.PUNK-POP SONGS with FEMALE VOCALS ONLY a la the Runaways, Joan Jett, the Go-Go's, L7, the Donnas, etc. are needed for a new sitcom set to air on a major cable network [the first episode -- of six -- will be shown June 4th]. The show is about a group of "sexy, edgy, and outrageous" 20-something girls who live together in Venice Beach, CA. The show follows them enjoying LA's nightlife [clubbing, eating at restaurants, etc] and dealing with life's ups and downs. Please listen to the song I submitted and I'd welcome anyones opinion (especially somebody from Taxi) on why they think it didn't get forwarded. The name of the song is "Funky Mood". I'm a little bitter about the rejection.http://www.broadjam.com/artists/artisti ... istID=7440

soterio

Re: My submission was returned . . pls read

Post by soterio » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:05 am

Jimmy:Personally, I liked the song a lot, but when I saw the listing for the Runaways and Joan Jett, what came to mind was something much more hard-edged and punk oriented. Maybe that's what they had in mind, who knows? Of course lumping Joan Jett in with the GoGo's makes it even more confusing.

crystal

Post by crystal » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:07 am

It sounds more new-country-pop (broad category these days, I know) than punk-pop to me..I didn't hear punk-pop at all with this track. They were probably looking for more punky than pop-y.I wouldn't waste the energy in being bitter. I've submitted things that were forwarded for oops that were almost identically worded as ones I was returned on. Depends on what they were leaning towards stylistically, sonically, etc, who was doing the listening and how they interpret what the listing party is looking and probably about a million other factors.

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by booker » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:09 am

Remember...a non-forward is NOT a rejection of a song. It doesn't mean that it's not a good song, only that the reviewer didn't think that the person requesting the song would react favorably to it.Hang in there bro.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:49 am

JimmysGirl,Clearly a case of "not close enough to what listing asked for". I understand why you thought it was appropriate, though, because the lyric does have the right attitude, and the music could work as well. The production just isn't edgy enough. The drums would have to be a lot harder, electric guitars would have to really dominate the track and the vocal style is not close enough, either. If you listen to the artists mentioned, they all have a sort of "bratty", aggressive singing style.For tv/film listings, you really have to nail the style the supervisors are looking for. Remember, most of the time they'd rather use those artists' songs to begin with, but can't for budgetary reasons.I recommend adopting Crystal's attitude. It's tough at first, but rejection's inevitable in this business. I found that after I stopped getting all wound up about forwards and returns, things started to happen for me . So hang in there...Matt

trace

Post by trace » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:32 am

I think Matto is spot on here. Funky Mood is a really good track, but I too feel it just misses the mark when compared to the references to other artists.In my experience, when doing work for those who really want a sound alike, my experience has mostly been with ad agencies, they really want you to nail an artists style. In some cases it can get a little distasteful, in that they want you to get as close to recreating a specific artists track as possible without incurring legal retribution.Anyway, I am certain there will be a listing that Funky Mood will be perfect for. Good luck!!

secretw

Post by secretw » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:30 am

I personally thought it was worth it... I thought you did a great job. I liked the production... I thought it sounded in-your-face, and like a good mix of the styles requested. I agree with the others... hang in there... if this one gets you down then get ready for a whole slew of disappointments.. I just received a return where the screener said that my music sounded a little "old school Bon Jovi"... me, my band and some friends I have in the business (who still have a job- ha) laughed their @sses off at this critique, as did myself. That's the first person who ever said I sounded (or wrote remotely similar to) Bon Jovi, an artist whom with I never have connected with nor tried to write like. However, maybe that one day, the sun shone differently for him/her, and Joe-Screener was really reminded of Bon Jovi from my music. I don't think so at all, as I listen to very contemporary artists most of the time. But, hey. The cause and effect here is that I walked away thinking he/she was just not the person I needed to listen to my stuff. I hope I never have to go through that screener again, though they said some very nice things, too. But if I do, maybe they'll think the next one suitable.I do think it sucks that the screeners are the proverbial keyholders... but I'll take that bet... and I'll get in the door... and I think you can too. Good luck.

jimmysgirl

Post by jimmysgirl » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:29 am

Hey all,Thanks for your advice...I've revised the track big time, changed tempo, singer, drums, chorus, etc. so this is is the new version and it's been forwared a few times....thanks again!

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:55 pm

Fun tune with a great mix... Two thoughts here as to why it might have not been forwarded...Maybe the reviewer had a couple of songs picked already that fit the description a bit tighter in production or...This a long shot! The diction on the word Funky might have come across as another word on the tube?Just something to consider but I'm positive you'll do well in thge future.

thedivys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by thedivys » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:53 am

Great song! great production! but not joan jett.i've heard the worst words about our music from fellow musicians.and the taxi people are saints when it comes to criticism.This is a superb song!!!! you should be full of confidence from it!Keep on keeping on!!Cliff of The Divyswww.TheDivys.com