Naming names

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Guitarhacker23
Active
Active

Naming names

Post by Guitarhacker23 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:42 am

So, I just got a forward and the library contacted me the very next day and signed me on board.

Since this was through TAXI, I'll assume this is an A-list library. As such, obviously, I wish to keep this a totally professional interaction.

So when other musicians and songwriters in my circle find out that I am with a really top notch library, and they ask... what is the name of the library?..... How should I respond to that inquiry?

i have a number of thoughts but I'd like to know how you respond when asked for names of the libraries and publishers you have signed with without alienating your musician friends and seeming aloof. Last thing I want or need is someone who would try to use my name to get in the door when the fact is, I would never recommend them as a writer to my libraries.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Naming names

Post by boinkeee2000 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:05 am

simple, just dont announce to the world that you got into an a-list library. but since you already did, just tell them you rather not reveal any of your trade secrets due to competition

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:10 am

IMO ...

Most of the time I'm OK sharing the name in private conversation or a group of seasoned composers if there's a valid reason to share the name.

You kind of have to use judgement on whether you think the asker might misuse the information. I wouldn't be concerned about someone who's a seasoned composer.

I'd be more cautious with someone who seems inexperienced or overly ambitious.
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:23 am

You could say that the library asked you to keep it as confidential as possible as they get overwhelmed by emails and calls regarding submissions.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:42 am

I don't shy away from telling people the names of libraries I work with if it's an in-person conversation. Chances are, the name of the library alone won't be enough for them to go banging down their door and ruining your reputation, as often these A-list places have no easy way to contact them, or an entire global staff, or just plain don't accept unsolicited submissions. Either way, it's hard to just knock on a door and get anywhere. So, I think you'll be okay.

It would be like someone running to Geffen Records because they knew Aerosmith was signed there, and trying to get their own record deal with Geffen. That info is widespread knowledge, but the person that wants to exploit it is going to run into a million brick walls.

Nonetheless, for this forum specifically, it's against rules & etiquette to name names here. But in your day-to-day interactions, I wouldn't overly stress it.

~~Matt

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:18 am

What is the name of the library? 🤣

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:44 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:42 am
I don't shy away from telling people the names of libraries I work with if it's an in-person conversation. Chances are, the name of the library alone won't be enough for them to go banging down their door and ruining your reputation, as often these A-list places have no easy way to contact them, or an entire global staff, or just plain don't accept unsolicited submissions. Either way, it's hard to just knock on a door and get anywhere. So, I think you'll be okay.

It would be like someone running to Geffen Records because they knew Aerosmith was signed there, and trying to get their own record deal with Geffen. That info is widespread knowledge, but the person that wants to exploit it is going to run into a million brick walls.

Nonetheless, for this forum specifically, it's against rules & etiquette to name names here. But in your day-to-day interactions, I wouldn't overly stress it.

~~Matt
^ ^
this
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:46 am

DesireInspires wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:18 am
How long did it take before you sent a PM Guitarhacker23 and asked? :lol: :lol:

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:24 pm

DesireInspires wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:18 am
Dont you have a spreadsheet with all the A-List libs? :D

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:30 am

Guitarhacker23 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:42 am
Since this was through TAXI, I'll assume this is an A-list library.
Don't assume too much. They've all been vetted to ensure they are legit but that doesn't mean they are A-list and YMMV considerably depending on how well your music fits that particular catalogue and it's clients.

It's actually not that difficult to see who has music in which library online anyway so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Mark