Nashville demo studio recommendations

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

stewwalker

Nashville demo studio recommendations

Post by stewwalker » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Hi

I'm thinking about trying a Nashville demo studio to record some country songs.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Stew

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Nashville demo studio recommendations

Post by Kolstad » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:39 am

I can recommend Gary Earl. He understand both the pitching market and sync market well, so you can have something done that fits your target(s).
https://www.recordingstudiob.com/#Services
Ceo of my own life

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:20 am

Nashville Demo Factory http://www.nashvilledemofactory.com/

They do great work and give full WFH for Film/TV. The first 2 songs I did with them were accepted into an important Taxi-friendly library. I'm working on #3 right now.

Good luck!
:D Casey

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by songmaster » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:39 am

Ditto, what Casey said! They do a great job at a very reasonable price.

Tom

stewwalker

Post by stewwalker » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll check them out.

Cheers

Stew

JeremyDoss
Active
Active

Post by JeremyDoss » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:14 pm

I use "A Writer's Paradise" (Stacy Hogan) in Nashville. He does fantastic work. Highly recommend.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/awritersparadise/reviews/

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:01 pm

Stew
I forgot to ask. What is your goal with these demos? Pitching for artists or Film/TV? Or both? If Film/TV is a consideration (and I think it might be shortsighted to rule it out), you have to be careful with studios, especially in Nashville.

For Film/TV, you want know up front that they can provide a work for hire release. It's essential or you can't pitch it for Film/TV. You should review the document before proceeding. And be sure that the signatory to the WFH will be the musicians, not the studio itself. Also, make sure there are no union musicians playing "off the card" on the track as that can also cause problems.

The studio I suggested meets the requirements. I'm sure others do as well. But be careful. A demo that can be pitched for artists, who would re-record the song (e.g. a "song" demo), is not the same as a master RECORDING for Film/TV, where is would be used "as is".

Many have got burned, spending $500-$1000 on a demo, only to find out they can't pitch it for Film/TV.

Good luck!

stewwalker

Post by stewwalker » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:05 pm

Hi Casey

Thanks for that tip! I'm planning to pitch for both artists and film/tv, so the WFH tip is on the money - thank you :)

Cheers

Stew

pgboynton

Post by pgboynton » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:29 pm

Casey -
I know this is an older thread but I was searching for exactly this: demo studios, and in Nashville in particular, as I have a song that TAXI screeners have suggested needs a 'contemporary country' demo recording to pitch it in that genre.
I've just extricated myself from a painfully bad situation with one of the Nashville 'demo service' outfits that looked pretty good going through all their online information, testimonials, before-after song examples, etc.
What surprised me was that there was no written agreement document and certainly no WFH releases. I was not allowed to have any direct contact with the production team or musicians and had to re-submit the lyric sheet and sheet music with my name removed!
I'm a union man, (AEA SAG-AFTRA), with decades of acting contract work and knew something was fishy. Your working 'off the card' comment caught my eye and reinforced what I suspect may be the case with this outfit.
I reminded them that their web site clearly that clients would have 'one-on-one collaboration' with the senior producer (owner, I believe) to no avail until I sent them a screen shot yesterday of this statement on their site. They expressed surprise that this part of the site existed and it has now been taken down!
Wow!
Is there a spot here on the TAXI forums where recommended, reputable demo studios are listed? I'd love to see a resource like that along the lines of the gentleman you mentioned, (Gary Earl).

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:21 pm

Just an update. The Nashville studio I recommended does good work and can offer WFH. However, they recently changed their policy and there is a hefty up-charge to own the master rights to your recording (required for Film/TV). That being said, the price is not far from what other studios in Nashville charge.

As I mentioned, be careful. Most Nashville studios will not give you WFH documents signed by the actual musicians and/or their musicians may be union musicians working off the card. These are show stoppers for Film/TV.

I'm a non-performer and rely on others to record my songs. My absolute best results have been hiring other Taxi members I met right here on the forum or at the Road Rally. Don't be afraid to reach out to folks who are getting forwards, deals, and/or placements. They know what it takes better than anyone. My biggest successes are because I did just that.

Best,