Nashville

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

grady1

Nashville

Post by grady1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Hey all, great seeing all at the Road Rally, such a great weekend. I know a lot of Members live in Nashville or visit often. I'm taking my first trip down there and looking for some insights, The Hotels downtown are insanely priced. I have never been there before so I don't know the neighborhoods. any advice on lodging and what not to miss would be much appreciated, Thanks, Neil

MandyDuke

Re: Nashville

Post by MandyDuke » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi Grady,

I visited Nashville for the first time this past November and instead of staying downtown I found a home in the suburbs using homeaway.com. There are probably apartments down there too. I’ve used the website twice now and both times went smoothly. It was only about 10 minutes from downtown which is great because unless you’re right where you want to be, Uber was the best way in and out especially since it can be a madhouse. I’m always sketchy about Uber’s and all that but it’s just the way it is now and definitely makes small get-aways more affordable. Hope you have an awesome time! All the live bands are great!

grady1

Post by grady1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:58 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:34 pm

If you want to hear great country songwriters, check out shows at The Bluebird Cafe, it is steeped in the history of contemporary country music. Very small venue, tickets can be hard to get.

For a bit of older country music history (as well as contemporary), hit various clubs on the Broadway strip. This also takes you into the neighborhood of the historic Ryman theatre.

It's also fun to walk around the few blocks of music square - feel the vibe of the big publishing houses and historic recording studios.
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

grady1

Post by grady1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:15 pm

thanks JD, much appreciated

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:53 pm

Hey Grady,
Hope you're not coming this week. Nothing but rain and more rain!

Seriously of course you have to check out Lower Broad. I know one of my friends/co-writers Luther is often playing lead with a band down at Layla's. He's also a TAXI member. Got to check out Music Row, stop in at the BMI or ASCAP building to check them out. You can also reserve a writers room there if you're a member of the PRO. As JD mentioned the Bluebird is an awesome place to catch great writers. Also the Commodore Lounge at the Holiday Inn on West End is pretty awesome. If you have to eat ;) Chuy's Mexican restaurant is a cool place (right near the Row). A lot of writers and music folks hang there.

I would Air B&B if I was coming here. Try East Nashville, Donelson or Madison. All pretty close to the action. Enjoy the town!
best, John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

grady1

Post by grady1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks so much John, look forward to doing it all, not going till april, weather should be perfect, couldn't be more excited

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:50 pm

You don't have to hotel all that close if you're driving, and if you're staying more than a day or two, Air B'n'B is even more economical. There's a lot to see and do on Lower Broadway; Tootsie's Orchid Lounge, Robert's Western World, Ernest Tubb's Record shop are some highlights, but you'll hear some great stuff right out in the street. The Ryman Auditorium, the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Music Hall Of Fame are popular with tourists, but musicians should especially enjoy Gruhn's Guitars and The Musicians Hall of Fame; say hi to my homeboy Smilin' Jay McDowell of BR5-49, if you do, he is a font of rockabilly lore and a mensch of the first order. I'm pretty sure he can play most of George Harrison's solos forward and backward, though he's better known for slapping a doghouse bass. Of an evening, you can stroll through Printer's Alley and follow your ears. The Time Jumpers at the Station Inn are a must-see, but there are no reservations, so arrive early and expect a long wait that's more than worth it. There are four or five clubs that do classic country or bluegrass, but there's almost no kind of music you can't find in Music City; they don't call it that for nuthin'.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

grady1

Post by grady1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:52 am

thanks Mojo ! I'm starting to get the feeling I'm gonna have to stay longer than a week, maybe forever lol, certainly wont be in any rush to get back to New York.