Need a new Laptop

Tell us about your studio and post some photos no matter how modest or robust it is!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rrheinsmith

Need a new Laptop

Post by rrheinsmith » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:44 pm

Hello Rick here,
I'm new to taxi and still working my way around the place. I have a decent amount of gear and and an ok set up with PreSounus 6.5 however lately I have been having issues with my Laptop needing more space. I am planning on replacing the laptop but, I like some recommendations on what to get next.

XrashGates
Active
Active

Post by XrashGates » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:33 am

Last edited by XrashGates on Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Need a new Laptop

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:59 am

rrheinsmith wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:44 pm
Hello Rick here,
I'm new to taxi and still working my way around the place. I have a decent amount of gear and and an ok set up with PreSounus 6.5 however lately I have been having issues with my Laptop needing more space. I am planning on replacing the laptop but, I like some recommendations on what to get next.
PC or Mac

XrashGates
Active
Active

Post by XrashGates » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:38 pm

Last edited by XrashGates on Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:24 am

Hi Rick-
Could you provide more info on your current setup? Mac or PC? What are you using now? And what are your current challenges with your current setup?
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

rrheinsmith

Post by rrheinsmith » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:42 am

Bradley,

I have two systems both are supported by PreSonus AudioBox USB. I have a MAC and PC setup. Both have space issues where PreSonus will not open and I get messages asking me to clean things up so the program will open.

A picture of the basic PC Storage usage is attached.
The MAC is a dinosaur and I think as such it is just old and should be replaced.

Bringing me to the question what do I replace them with to ensure I do not continue to have this issue.

I appreciate the assistance.

Respectfully,

Rick

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:36 am

I don't see an attachment Rick...That said... Not to be Mr. Obvious, but you really should be using external drives for all of your sample libraries, and to write audio files to. Unless these computers are ancient, there should be sufficient internal drive space for just your DAW, plugins, etc.... I picked up a 2 TB Sandisk USB SSD External Drive the other day on Amazon for only $99!!! I would just move everything but your programs and plugins over to something like that to free up space.... If you are looking for a new Macbook...THe Silicon Macbook Pros are amazing - If you go in this direction, would recommend a 1 TB internal SSD to future proof your needs for several years, as well as a really good TB4 docking station (I have the "Razer" model, it is REALLY good and reliable so far), and a couple of the above external drives. Lastly, I think that you can format the external drives to where both the PC and the Mac can write files to them. Hope this helps! Happy Holidays!
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

rrheinsmith

Post by rrheinsmith » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:50 am

Thank you for the replies. I'm not sure why my picture didn't take. I am working on both suggestions a new computer based on the multiple Top 10 listings out on the Web, and moving everything to the external Hard drive. Again thank you.

rrheinsmith

Post by rrheinsmith » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:48 pm

Thank you for the replies. I'm not sure why my picture didn't take. I am working on both suggestions a new computer based on the multiple Top 10 listings out on the Web, and moving everything to the external Hard drive. Again thank you.