Need advice............

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mcanty
Impressive
Impressive

Need advice............

Post by mcanty » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:25 am

I received a forward about 10 days ago on a high bar listing where the manager of artist did the screening.I also have a publisher who is interested in signing this song. The publisher is small and aggressive and I know for a fact they have some nice contacts. I also trust them.Would you hold out on signing the song with the publisher?

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Need advice............

Post by ddusty » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:47 am

That's a tough one. Playing the odds, I would probably sign with the publisher, figuring there is still a ton of hurdles for your song to make it to the end of the listing.Of course, if you want the "lottery ticket" then you would hold off on signing the pub.You will be able to stall a little bit while you look over the contracts, if the publisher is aggressive, he may be looking to place the song quickly (which is good)What is the reversion clause of the pub deal? is it easy to get out of if you sign it?Rob

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:16 am

Thats a tough call. Here is some food for thought for you, but keep in mind that I am absolutely NOT an authority on this stuff. So here goes:The publisher is already contacting you and you trust them and their abilities to get you placements. Score 1 for the publisher.The manager, I am assuming hasn't called you back. I'm also going to assume that he is managing an artist that has some kind of label support. Thats cool, but I am slightly jaded when it comes to labels. I think that working with labels is a total crap shoot. You might make millions, but most likely you will make next to nothing and if you are the artist you will probably end up in debt to the label. Why do I have this negative view of labels? Well, a buddy of mine started two bands that were both signed to different major labels. I won't mention their names here. The first band was especially good...they had the right sound at the right time. Both bands worked very hard, touring non-stop. Both had all-star producers on their albums. They had some music on some video games and TV shows, but not the kind of success that you would think a major label band would have. They are still poor. The first label was especially bad, they didn't market them at all and they dragged their feet with the release of the album. So with this artist that the guy is managing...who knows what will happen. She/he could be great with an excellent album (that features your track ) and still get shelved by her/his label because for whatever reason they don't think that she/he has the right sound/image/whatever for the time. That happened to Kanye West with Capitol Records.To me the publisher seems like more of a sure deal, especially since they have already called you back. You'll probably get placements, make money, and build a relationship with them that will lead to more placements (and therefor more money).I certainly don't want you to decide "no" on holding out for the manager to call because of my little tirade/spiel here. The artist in question could be the next justin timberlake or madonna. Who knows. I certainly wouldn't want you to miss out on that action Just know that from what little I've seen, labels are a little risky. And I don't trust them at all.good luck-Steve

jameii
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jameii » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:02 pm

Are all publishing deals exclusive? Way I look at it...I"d license my songs to anyone but if you want EXCLUSIVE...you gotta pay baby LOL...But what do I know? good luck! Let us know!

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:21 pm

I'd have to say that the situation you'd like the most is a bidding war, which from the sounds of it the song has great potential. I don't know the protocols. If the publisher wants an exclusive, you give it to him, then next month the manager calls and wants to put the song on a hold you wind up in a jam. I think you can get what you want in terms of an option to put the song on hold with one of your own contacts as long as its 'spelled out in the contract'. But now we are talking legal stuff, for which one needs the counsel of an attorney.ArkJack

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:53 pm

Quote:Are all publishing deals exclusive? Way I look at it...I"d license my songs to anyone but if you want EXCLUSIVE...you gotta pay baby LOL...But what do I know? good luck! Let us know!Most that I have found offer only exclusive deals (though not all), and unless you have a lot of clout they aren't going to pay you a dime for the exclusive right to pitch your song(s). You get paid when they get paid.-Steve

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ciskokidd » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:22 pm

I'm in agreeance with Steve and Rob,I have held out on signing a song with a publisher thinking the song was too good to sign - it was a hit in my mind. Since then the publisher has given us a ton of placements and we still have the song on the shelf since it now is not in style anymore.Now not even the aformentioned publisher would take that song off our hands. If you trust the publisher and know that he will work your song well, I would sign it. Remember this producer may not want a cut of the publishing and if he really thinks your song is gonna sell his artist - he may well be willing to work with your publisher on a "hold" or on a version with his artist on it.It's a tough call and in the end you have to go with your gut instinct on this one.Best of luck,Cisco

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:42 pm

If you sign it with the publisher and then the artist manager wants it, I'd be willing to bet the publisher would be able to negotiate a deal with the artist. In fact, they may have done this before and would probably do a better job than you might at this stage of your career (maybe not but just some food for thought).Would that we all had decisions like this to make! Congrats on the interest in your song!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!