Need Buyout Advice UPDATE

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

wodinlord
Impressive
Impressive

Need Buyout Advice UPDATE

Post by wodinlord » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:23 am

A few days ago, I sent out an 11 tune cd to about 20 libraries seeking placement. I got an offer today to buy all 11. They want all copyrights and master rights. They are a big name library. They want to know what I want for them all. I was actually expecting to place these with licensing libraries and don't have much idea what kind of figure to tell them for a buyout. Anyway, would any of you guys who have dealt with this kind of level be willing to at least give me a ball park figure from your experience? Most of these cuts are big, orchestrated, modern rock pieces with a lot of time in them and most suitable for TV drama and Film use probably. (all virtual orchestras and instruments, i.e. Miroslav Philharmonik - don't have much in the way of musician cost) Not to brag, but they all sound expensive. The others are more aimed at standard Radio/TV commercial production music. Any kind of experienced guidelines would be GREATLY appreciated. If you are more comfortable sending a private message, please feel free. Thanks in advance!!Wodinlord
I want everything to be louder than everything else!

stevebarden
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Need Buyout Advice please!!!!!

Post by stevebarden » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:44 am

Congratulations! To most of us that would seem like a dream come true. But you have to weigh getting a flat fee for your efforts vs. what you *might* receive in performance royalties and licensing fees for TV/Film. Over a long period of years that could amount to tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. Or more realistically it could amount to under $10,000. Or under $5,000. Or nothing.This library obviously sees a value in your music and wants all of the tracks. What they're hoping you'll do is accept a fee that appears big right now because you're hungry.What's its shelf life? How long will it take for this music to become dated and no one will want to use it anymore?Since it's only been a few days since you mailed out the CDs you might want to give it a little time to see if any other library is interested. If you do choose to sell it outright, don't be afraid to ask for a lot of money. They can only say no. And if they do, ask them to counter offer.Good luck!Steve

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:53 am

Ask for $10,000, see what the counter-offer is... Congratulations, and good luck, I really haven't got a clue.Steve Miller does tho. Write more.

GA_googleFillSlot("336x280_ROS");

wodinlord
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wodinlord » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:12 pm

Thanks for your advice. Everything I sold via buyout in the past was through a middleman, so this is new to me.Wodinlord

jh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jh » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:24 pm

Hey wodinlord,This thread might be helpful Upfront money"The upfront money an MLP may pay you ranges from zero to perhaps $ 1000/song. Anything above $ 500 is rare" -mattoHTH- JH

frodo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by frodo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:26 pm

Jul 28, 2008, 4:12pm, wodinlord wrote:Thanks for your advice. Everything I sold via buyout in the past was through a middleman, so this is new to me.WodinlordWodinlord, a little tip; why not get a middle man to do the rest of the deal for you this time too?Could be worth it, really.- until next timefrodo

wodinlord
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wodinlord » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:32 am

Jul 28, 2008, 11:24pm, jh wrote:Hey wodinlord,This thread might be helpful Upfront money"The upfront money an MLP may pay you ranges from zero to perhaps $ 1000/song. Anything above $ 500 is rare" -mattoHTH- JHThanks for the link! It does give me some parameters. Since this situation is a total buyout of all copyright and master rights, I would think it should fall at least at the top or above the prices for upfront money from an MLP.Wodinlord

wodinlord
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wodinlord » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:35 am

Jul 29, 2008, 2:26am, frodo wrote:Jul 28, 2008, 4:12pm, wodinlord wrote:Thanks for your advice. Everything I sold via buyout in the past was through a middleman, so this is new to me.WodinlordWodinlord, a little tip; why not get a middle man to do the rest of the deal for you this time too?Could be worth it, really.- until next timefrodoWell, before I was working for a music group as a writer, so I didn't have to deal with it, just write, Now, I am on my own. But, that is good advice for the future and if things continue this well, I will try to find an agent or the like. Wodinlord

wodinlord
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wodinlord » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:40 am

Jul 28, 2008, 12:44pm, stevebarden wrote:Since it's only been a few days since you mailed out the CDs you might want to give it a little time to see if any other library is interested. If you do choose to sell it outright, don't be afraid to ask for a lot of money. They can only say no. And if they do, ask them to counter offer.Good luck!SteveI am going to stall a bit and see, but I have another batch just about done already if anyone else expresses interest. I must say, I was amazed at the speed of the first response. These guys must have called the day they got it. Wodinlord

frodo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by frodo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:46 am

Jul 29, 2008, 5:35am, wodinlord wrote:Jul 29, 2008, 2:26am, frodo wrote:Wodinlord, a little tip; why not get a middle man to do the rest of the deal for you this time too?Could be worth it, really.- until next timefrodoWell, before I was working for a music group as a writer, so I didn't have to deal with it, just write, Now, I am on my own. But, that is good advice for the future and if things continue this well, I will try to find an agent or the like. Wodinlord Well, why not hire a music lawyer, - one that is in this business would probably have done this lots of times, and could tell you what would be the amount to ask for... and - you don't have to hire one to do the deal either, maybe just hire one for a consultant session?- until next timefrodo*edited for grammar*