Need Expert Ears

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

philsmith
Active
Active

Need Expert Ears

Post by philsmith » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi Everyone, Phil here.

I'm submitting this song: https://soundcloud.com/ann-whittington/only-tomorrow for listings S180901AB and Y180905AB. I'm hoping some of you will listen and give me some feedback. In particular I would like to ask this question: "Is it 'Broadcast Quality'?" Thanks so much to anyone who answers! I listen to tracks so many times I think I stop hearing them. Other ears could really bail me out here.

Thanks!

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Need Expert Ears

Post by ttully » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi PhilSmith,

In my opinion....it sounds like a song from the 70's....not contemporary.
It does not have the creamy close up vocal sound of the examples.

The whole thing just sounds dated to me....

My 2 cents,
Tim

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi Phil

Don't think it makes it over the " Broadcast Quality " bar for me.

The main sticking point is the lead vocal ..it has sibelance and sounds very heavily processed with lots of tuning artifacts and yet they still sound off key somehow. The reverb generally is washing the whole thing out and I agree with Tim the song and arrangement is dated sounding.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but very evident to me this is not close to the references .

Mark

RichardInUK
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RichardInUK » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Hello Phil.

Overall, the mix isn't gelling, especially the vocal - the vocal effect is making it sound very strange and unnatural.

When the chorus kicks in - there is a 'tom' that is jarring - sounds out of place, the drums need to be a little more rhythmically engaging too.

Generally the mix isn't balanced, gotta agree with the other guys that its a bit dated and isn't reaching the 'bar' of the examples.
- just my honest opinion.

Richard

philsmith
Active
Active

Post by philsmith » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks, Tim, Mark and Richard. I appreciate your honest opinions. That's what I was looking for. I'll keep working on it. I especially appreciate the details. It really is quite difficult to get everything just right, and my ears get tired after several hours. For you to take time and listen with fresh ears and share that, well, I can't thank you enough.

-Phil

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:52 am

Track has been removed, so I hope you got the feedback you requested. This sort of post should be in Peer To Peer, for future reference, but it's good you had a specific question.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

philsmith
Active
Active

Post by philsmith » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:48 am

Hi Mojo,

I made a boo-boo :( Uploaded a new file then deleted the old one, which caused the track to be named only-tomorrow-1. DOH! I've renamed it, so the link once again is https://soundcloud.com/ann-whittington/only-tomorrow. I've incorporated a lot of the changes that posters have suggested; I can't do much about the older sound of it, it really is an older kind of tune. If you have time, I'd appreciate it if you listened and gave your feedback. I think I'm heading in the right direction, but it's hard to be sure.

Thanks!
-Phil