Need great microphone for performances. Suggestions

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VickiLogan

Need great microphone for performances. Suggestions

Post by VickiLogan » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:59 am

Good morning everyone!

I have a dilemma that I need a little help with. I play Native American flutes and am looking for a good microphone that I can attach to the flute without ruining the flute's wood while still giving me great sound. It would be great if I could find something that was good with wind too. I perform a lot outside so a good, sensitive mic is highly desired. Any ideas?

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Need great microphone for performances. Suggestions

Post by Merryband1 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:50 am

Welcome aboard, Vicki!

I wish I knew the answer to this one! I can't imagine attaching a mic to a Native American flute... Maybe using hook & loop ribbon (like Velcro) to wrap the end of the mic around the flute? I have a Navajo flute, and I haven't done much recording with it or played it live in concert, but I was planning just to use a mic stand.

Maybe one of the musician/sales experts at Sweetwater Music could help. I know they have knowledgeable people working for them, most of them gigging musicians, so they know the best gear. :)

I'm so glad to have another Native American flute player in TAXI! Maybe we can collaborate on some pieces in the future! :)
Merry

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:23 pm

I rented a few mikes and did recordings with them and asked my knowledgeable friends here which one was best before I bought anything.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

VickiLogan

Post by VickiLogan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:40 am

Merryband1 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:50 am
Welcome aboard, Vicki!

I wish I knew the answer to this one! I can't imagine attaching a mic to a Native American flute... Maybe using hook & loop ribbon (like Velcro) to wrap the end of the mic around the flute? I have a Navajo flute, and I haven't done much recording with it or played it live in concert, but I was planning just to use a mic stand.

Maybe one of the musician/sales experts at Sweetwater Music could help. I know they have knowledgeable people working for them, most of them gigging musicians, so they know the best gear. :)

I'm so glad to have another Native American flute player in TAXI! Maybe we can collaborate on some pieces in the future! :)
Merry
THANK YOU so much for the response! I really don't want to attach a microphone to the flute as it could potentially cause damage, but I have found that when I perform outside, it would be really nice to have some type of mic attachment (esp if it's wireless) to help allow me the ability to move around and avoid wind and stuff in various situations. Most of the time a stationary mic is fine, but sometimes it's just not what I need. This might call for some creative ingenuity!

Would totally LOVE to collaborate on something in the future! Please keep in touch! You can hear what I do at my website www.vickilogan.com. My contact info is there as well. Shoot me an e-mail and a link to your info! I'd love to hear what you are doing!!

VickiLogan

Post by VickiLogan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:40 am

hummingbird wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:23 pm
I rented a few mikes and did recordings with them and asked my knowledgeable friends here which one was best before I bought anything.

THANKS for the info!! Totally appreciate it!!