Need help with my critique on S210119NW

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cantilena
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Need help with my critique on S210119NW

Post by cantilena » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:08 am

Hi everyone!

I got a critique back on opportunity S210119NW, and I'm kind of confused. I'd like some opinions, advice, whatever can help me figure out what I should have done with this track.

Here's the link to the opportunity:
https://www.taxi.com/listings/S210119NW

Other than watching the news, I'm not very familiar with this particular corner of commercial music, so I listened to the reference tracks and tried to model my submission after those.

Here's a link to my track:
https://www.taxi.com/members/cYEpu7s1Rw ... work-news

Here's the feedback I got on it:
"I think this has some cool sounds and some cool motifs throughout. Nice job with the simmering energy and the ideas."
"I like the motion from 00 - :14, :41 - :55, & then at the ending. Everything in between is too repetitive, needs more variation, and more layers."
"This has some nice sections, but ultimately it's too repetitive and not as commercially viable as the references."

I think I understand what the screener is saying, but I'm still confused. I modeled my track largely after the first reference track, which has an initial theme, a bit of development, and then literally the same phrase repeated (cut-and-pasted, sounds like) from 0:42-1:35, then goes back to the original theme (with no variations that I can hear) for the ending.

Since the reference track had a lot of repetition in it, and little variation, I assumed that that was how this particular style of music is put together. Was I wrong?

I'd love some thoughts on this. Did anyone else submit to this listing and get forwarded? If so, I'd love to hear your track(s).

I spent SO MUCH time on this one, and I really thought I'd hit it out of the park. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Andrew
Andrew Gilpin, Composer/Arranger/Pianist / @CanadaComposer
Keys for Ukraine ~ Visit my site and help me send aid to Ukraine!
My TAXI Member Page

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Need help with my critique on S210119NW

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:46 am

cantilena wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:08 am
Since the reference track had a lot of repetition in it, and little variation, I assumed that that was how this particular style of music is put together. Was I wrong?
Generally even if the reference is repetitive don't give them a repetitive cue. If they want to repeat a section they can do it themselves in the edit. Your job is to give them options by varying it every 4 bars or so and maintaining interest.

Usually it's not too hard to vary things by swapping instrument roles, and transposing parts or doubling them too.

cantilena
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Need help with my critique on S210119NW

Post by cantilena » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:56 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:46 am
cantilena wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:08 am
Generally even if the reference is repetitive don't give them a repetitive cue. If they want to repeat a section they can do it themselves in the edit. Your job is to give them options by varying it every 4 bars or so and maintaining interest.

Usually it's not too hard to vary things by swapping instrument roles, and transposing parts or doubling them too.
Thanks, cosmicdolphin. I appreciate the explanation and advice. :D
Andrew Gilpin, Composer/Arranger/Pianist / @CanadaComposer
Keys for Ukraine ~ Visit my site and help me send aid to Ukraine!
My TAXI Member Page