Need input on desktop specs for new PC

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ChazAldi
Impressive
Impressive

Need input on desktop specs for new PC

Post by ChazAldi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:55 am

I am seriously considering upgrading my PC for my studio. I'd love some input on minimum configurations (CPU, RAM, storage, connectivity, etc.)

I run Windows 10 64 bit, I like to use Reaper as my DAW. I already purchased a new Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface (2nd gen) and it seems my 7 year old desktop can't handle it.

Curious if anyone here has purchased a Creation Station from Sweetwater? If so, what do you think?

I'd like to stay close to $1k if possible. No higher than $1.5k

Any constructive input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Need input on desktop specs for new PC

Post by Len911 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Chaz, I built mine and my mother's computer, and when my dad needed a newer computer, he bought a reconditioned one from Microcenter, I see there is one in your area. I couldn't build one any less for what he needed. They sell about everything computers
reconditioned, new, pc, mac, build or upgrade your own parts etc.

I did sort of an extreme search,lol, and found these 2. Windows 10 Pro, I7 quad/6core 3.7/4.2 ghz 16 gb ram, 480gb ssd.
http://www.microcenter.com/endeca/Compa ... U9MQ%3D%3D

The above examples are new. the specs in some ways might be overboard, you can always add ram and hd or ssd later. So you could do with less. You don't need an expensive graphics card unless you are gaming, and audio don't require a whole lot, but that depends on how you work, how many instruments and effects you have open at once... The less you go overboard on the computer, the more money you have for software. ;) http://www.microcenter.com/category/429 ... C-Desktops
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

ChazAldi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ChazAldi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Thanks Len!

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jazzstan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:30 am

I have had Pete Brunner of Electronic Music Box in Sherman Oaks, CA do upgrades, setups and custom builds my PC workstations. I've know him for probably some 15 years and trust him completely. He works within my budget and preferences. A total pro. Find him at midiguy dot com.

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:31 pm

As much as we all have budgets when it comes to large purchases, like a new DAW, I've held to a philosophy over the years that has served me well.

If you go a little higher on the power of your processor and chip set (at a higher cost) then you can always add RAM and storage later, if needed, and your DAW ends up staying useful longer than if you skimp a little up front.

I've been able to keep my DAWs for years following this philosophy-so I thought I'd share.
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:13 pm

well, since I replied, I've decided I needed to do a little upgrading as well. 8-)

I'm not going used though,lol! I'm going to build a little itx one. My audio computer, the one I assembled is running windows xp, Cubase 5, Wavelab 6..... I'm still going to use it. The new build will be for the modern software I'd like to get. For the internet, I'm still using the computer before that one, which is ~2009ish. It's running an old single core AMD chip 64 bit linux debian. I don't need to upgrade the monitor, I still plan on using the a/d d/a rme adi2. My old computer is using spdif coax, and I'll be getting a zoom u44 with spdif/optical in and out on the rme and zoom has usb for new computer input. I could have gone with a slightly cheaper audio card with optical in and out, but I want to save my one pcie x16 slot in case I ever want to add an ssd. Speaking of which I'll be using a refurbished ~250GB hdd, with an m.2 Intel Optane 32gb ssd? in an ultra m.2 slot that might give it an 8% boost over the m.2 pcie x2 slot and boosts it to x4 direct to cpu. The optane will cache my programs from the hdd and software, windows is 16 gb, and the other programs considerably smaller. I've got a shelf in my rack to put the computer.
I suppose the point is to spec to your needs. I figure the cost to be ~$710, which incidentally is about the cost of the new software, and also about what I might spend on a refurbished computer with not many of the latest technologies, though perhaps a little more cpu horsepower.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mrdtman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:35 pm

I had a DAW built about 3 years ago by a company called PURRFECT AUDIO http://studiocat.com/opencart2/index.ph ... ommon/home

I have not been more pleased. Runs like a top. The owner - Jim - is very personable. He’s ways available for questions. I looked into the Creation Station also and was recommended I contact this company thru another forum. Found out that this company also built Creation Stations for Sweetwater at one time & they may still do. Also, for me it was great that they were actually located not far from where I live, Columbus, OH, & he actually delivered it & set it up. Now that’s customer service!

I love having a computer that was built specifically to handle audio. Makes life so much easier IMO.

Check them out.

DT