Need some insight & feedback on Minimalistic Children's Instrumental

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Need some insight & feedback on Minimalistic Children's Instrumental

Post by harperpeterson » Fri May 17, 2019 8:16 am

Hey, everyone! I'm taking a shot at this listing but I need a little clarification. The listing calls for "playful, mid to up tempo" instrumental cues that could work stylistically on a playlist with the references. I'm confused for a few reasons. One being that the references are on lullaby playlists, and to me that doesn't translate to "playful". The other is that the listing says they're looking for something sparse and simplistic, but not repetitive. The first reference is a very simple AABA song with no melodic variation between the A sections - to me that seems repetitive. Maybe I'm overthinking... :roll:

I started my cue with the assumption that the word "playful" could be used to describe the instrumentation - glockenspiel, marimba, etc. Do you think I interpreted the listing correctly? Is it simple enough without being boring or repetitive? Any advice on this would be appreciated!
Thank you!

MINIMALISTIC CHILDREN'S INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a successful International Music Licensing Company with worldwide distribution through BMG!
NOTE: This company recently started requesting music from TAXI members, so chances are you don’t have any material in their catalog yet!
Please submit playful, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that could stylistically fit on a playlist with these references:

Baby's Music Box Lullabies (From 10:09-12:08)

Canon in D (Pachabel) | Relaxing Lullaby for Children

Please submit original, well-crafted Instrumental Cues with simple melodies that would appeal to young children and toddlers. Instrumentation can vary but should be minimalistic and something little kids would want to hear over and over (until they grow up and discover the Beatles, lol). Please stick to one melodic motif and emotion from beginning to end, while adding and subtracting layers of instrumentation as your piece progress to give it a sense of forward movement.
Quoting the Music Library: “We are looking for tracks that are minimalist, sparse, and somewhat simplistic. That does NOT mean boring, repetitive, or without evolvement. We prefer to have at least two instruments in a cue. So if you have a solo piece, add another instrument or two and send the newer version.”
All submissions should be about Two Minutes long (give or take) with non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.
This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - Short Critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT) on Tuesday, May 28th, 2019. TAXI #Y190528CH

Patrick
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Need some insight & feedback on Minimalistic Children's Instrumental

Post by Patrick » Fri May 17, 2019 8:24 am

I really loved this composition. I'm just wondering if it comes across as more 'wistful' than 'playful'. That would be my only concern for the listing. Best of luck with your submission!

Pat
Bad art can make you laugh
Good art can make you think
Great art can destroy you

- Me

(Did he just quote himself?? Yes! Yes I did!)

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Sun May 19, 2019 3:06 pm

Patrick wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:24 am
I really loved this composition. I'm just wondering if it comes across as more 'wistful' than 'playful'. That would be my only concern for the listing. Best of luck with your submission!

Pat
Hey, Pat! Thanks for taking the time to comment. Are you able to name specifically what makes it come across as wistful? Is it the chord progression, instrumentation?

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Sun May 19, 2019 3:06 pm

CTWF wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:44 pm
harperpeterson wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:16 am
Hey, everyone!
Hey Harper - I did not geet a feeling of "wistful" re Patrick, to me it indeed felt playful, so, it could work. And reading the listings is a science... or maybe some listings are just problematic? :? Tom

P.S.: Pachelbel is also not exactly "original", but of course public domain. So, would a PD melody be okay?
Thanks for your feedback, Tom!

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Sun May 19, 2019 9:01 pm

Hi Harper,

I bounced over here from the other forum thread ("Listings") ... as mentioned there, I share your confusion about this listing. I really like your track. I have to say it doesn't strike me as exactly playful but maybe it's a good fit for the listing and the references. I would probably have called your genre something like light classical, or soft piano ... but that does seem consistent with the references given.

Good Luck

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Mon May 20, 2019 4:12 pm

jdstamper wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:01 pm
Hi Harper,

I bounced over here from the other forum thread ("Listings") ... as mentioned there, I share your confusion about this listing. I really like your track. I have to say it doesn't strike me as exactly playful but maybe it's a good fit for the listing and the references. I would probably have called your genre something like light classical, or soft piano ... but that does seem consistent with the references given.

Good Luck

Jim
Thanks, Jim! I appreciate your input. I'm probably not going to actually submit to this one because it's too confusing.. :roll:

Patrick
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Patrick » Mon May 20, 2019 7:00 pm

I would submit your work just the same. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Although my ears heard more of a wistful tune than a playful one, this doesn't mean anything. Lullabies aren't my field. In fact, I don't even own a home... I actually LIVE in a field! :shock:

- Me

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Tue May 21, 2019 9:08 am

Hi, just my two cents, children of young age like high pitch stuff. Why not change your piano to a celesta or a music box.
You have the melody and the chording covered.

Pierre
:D Music is the Esperanto of the world. (Duke Ellington)

Patrick
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Patrick » Tue May 21, 2019 9:29 am

I think the above post by Pierre is excellent advice.

- Me

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Thu May 23, 2019 6:56 am

pveniot wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:08 am
Hi, just my two cents, children of young age like high pitch stuff. Why not change your piano to a celesta or a music box.
You have the melody and the chording covered.

Pierre
Hi, Pierre! I was thinking of using a celesta for the melody, I'm not sure why it didn't cross my mind to use that instead of the piano :lol:
That sounds like a great idea.
Thanks for taking the time!

Harper